Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone towing with a Gladiator yet?

isellacuras

Considering a rubicon gladiator but trying to wait on some real world experience out there. I have a 2012 VLX that I’m guessing tips the scales close to 5500-6000 pounds. The rating of 7650 + 1600 payload make it sound feasible. Far cry from my 3.5 F150 but I’m wishful thinking in that it would be capable. The tow to my local lake is 4 miles on flat land but we do get up into the hills regularly. Plan on a mild 4-4.5” lift and 35’s. 

Won’t be the same giddy up as an eco 6 ,  isn’t this a normally aspirated 6,  but for your home tow it’s obviously not an issue 

on a  side note it’s s beautiful truck in person 

Edited by granddaddy55

I'd drive a Rubicon set up the way you're talking.  I've spent some time behind the wheel of one with that exact setup and it was a total dog.  Even around town at 5k of elevation.  At 10k plus, it was screaming - and so were we - trying to talk above the engine noise.  I would tow locally with one if it wasn't lifted. 

I think it is a great looking truck.  For your purposes, wait until they put the EcoDiesel in it.  Love me some MOPAR, but you would be asking an awful lot of that Pentastar V6.

• Like 1

I agree with all that’s been said above. I Know it wouldn’t be the best tow rig but could it be just ok?  I don't have any crazy climbs unless I’m going up to Tahoe or other super high elevation lakes. There’s a few that I frequent in the lower foothills but they are relatively easy tows. I worry about braking and trailer stability more than the actual towing. I don’t keep my cars long so I’m not really worried about longevity either. I just wish there was a way to know more about how they actually tow at their upper limits.  

Lift + Big Tires + 6000 pounds = too much to ask.  At least in my mind.  I am sure that the 4 miles flat would be fine.  I don't think it would be fine in the hills.  As @Raimie says, without the lift and tires it would probably be OK.

Here is a test on I70 in Colorado.  Really is a tough pull.  If you want to see the downhill section, start at about 8 minutes.  If you want to skip to the uphill, start at 12.

It actually did better than I thought it would.  Towing a 7000 pound trailer in the test.

2 hours ago, RyanB said:

Here is a test on I70 in Colorado.  Really is a tough pull.  If you want to see the downhill section, start at about 8 minutes.  If you want to skip to the uphill, start at 12.

It actually did better than I thought it would.  Towing a 7000 pound trailer in the test.

I love their videos...! #'s and stats are one thing but real world towing comparisons are another. Can't wait for them to test the new HD trucks again!

16 hours ago, RyanB said:

Thanks for sharing @RyanBThat’s a great video. Man, that 3.6 was screamin. Kind of confirms my thought of “it’s ok”. I could probably make it work  but I think I’ll hold off and see how the diesel does. My guess is they will use a small diesel that will not show much improvement. Stability seemed decent which was actually one of my biggest concerns. They did use a WDH tho. If I go this route, I’d prolly lease one so I could beat the snot out of it and give it back wet. They may have some pretty decent upgrades over the next 3 years IF they sell well. 

6 hours ago, isellacuras said:

Thanks for sharing @RyanBThat’s a great video. Man, that 3.6 was screamin. Kind of confirms my thought of “it’s ok”. I could probably make it work  but I think I’ll hold off and see how the diesel does. My guess is they will use a small diesel that will not show much improvement. Stability seemed decent which was actually one of my biggest concerns. They did use a WDH tho. If I go this route, I’d prolly lease one so I could beat the snot out of it and give it back wet. They may have some pretty decent upgrades over the next 3 years IF they sell well. 

I'm almost certain that they announced that they will use the 3.0 EcoDiesel - and that is a GREAT little engine.  I have one in my 2014 Grand Cherokee, and it has plenty of power to pull my LSV, and the new EcoDiesel is even more powerful than mine.

Personally, I don't think there is any question that these will sell very well.  America LOVES Jeep, and this truck is long overdue from them.

From that video it looks like it would tow a lighter DD ski boat around pretty well, but I don't think I'd want to tow much more than that up or down many hills.  

• Like 2
On 8/29/2019 at 12:00 PM, jetskipro550 said:

I love their videos...! #'s and stats are one thing but real world towing comparisons are another. Can't wait for them to test the new HD trucks again!

They really show who is exaggerating their power/economy claims when put up against the competition.

7 hours ago, mrothwell said:

It is such an UGLY truck that I couldn't, in good conscience, ever hook it up to my Bu.   

Funny.  I'd say the same thing about the Raptor (and certainly the new Chevy - that thing is terrible).  I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, RyanB said:

Funny.  I'd say the same thing about the Raptor (and certainly the new Chevy - that thing is terrible).  I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I could not agree more on that point.  The GMC looks SO MUCH BETTER!  I can't understand why GM thought that the design of the new Chevy is good.  But, you're right.....beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder.  

I loved the old Jeeps. We use to do a bunch of off roading but when Ford came out with the first Bronco's we switched. I still like the CJ's  and have had two Jeep Wagoneer's . But today the new SUV's  are just so much nicer. 

31 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Why do larger rims/tires make towing more difficult?

Steve B.

Puts more strain on drivetrain, and reduces effective gear ratio and torque unless you also regear.  Even if you do regear you have a bunch more rotating mass to get moving.  Not a huge deal on a truck with an excess of power, but with a little v6 you will notice it. 

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2