Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 MXZ 24 vs 2014 MC X-25

psuchaz

Hi,

First I'd like to thank everyone who contributes to this site, it has been a great resource for me over the past year as I have researched boats.  Also, thank you ahead of time for any thoughts that you may have.

I'm in the market for a used boat for the family and I've got it narrowed down to these two boats.  Both boats will do everything I need them to do, so I don't think there is a bad choice, I understand they are different sizes and not directly competing models. My criteria has been seats 12+, 2013 or newer, Malibu, Nautique, or Mastercraft, and has a factory surf system.  I know that options can mean a lot in the valuation, and I understand this is a Malibu forum.  I'd appreciate any thoughts on these two specific boots as I'll likely decide this weekend and am very torn between the two.  Basically I'm asking which boat would you rather have?

They are both the same price, same audio basic audio systems.  I am trying to get the most bang for my buck as a surfing 50%, wake boarding 25%, Kids tubing 25%.  The boat will stay on the lake so trailering is not a concern, they both weight about the same.  Storage length is not an issue.  I am fairly undecided but when looking for a used boat I know I need to pick the best of what's available.

2013 MXZ 24

Friends boat so I know the history, 250 hrs, maintained locally by the same mechanic that I use, mechanic speaks highly of the boat..  LS3 engine, surfgate, wedge.  Well kept

2014 MC X25

For sale locally, maintained by a local dealer, 100hrs, Gen 2 surf system, 6.0, I do not know the seller

Thank you,

5 hours ago, psuchaz said:

Hi,

First I'd like to thank everyone who contributes to this site, it has been a great resource for me over the past year as I have researched boats.  Also, thank you ahead of time for any thoughts that you may have.

I'm in the market for a used boat for the family and I've got it narrowed down to these two boats.  Both boats will do everything I need them to do, so I don't think there is a bad choice, I understand they are different sizes and not directly competing models. My criteria has been seats 12+, 2013 or newer, Malibu, Nautique, or Mastercraft, and has a factory surf system.  I know that options can mean a lot in the valuation, and I understand this is a Malibu forum.  I'd appreciate any thoughts on these two specific boots as I'll likely decide this weekend and am very torn between the two.  Basically I'm asking which boat would you rather have?

They are both the same price, same audio basic audio systems.  I am trying to get the most bang for my buck as a surfing 50%, wake boarding 25%, Kids tubing 25%.  The boat will stay on the lake so trailering is not a concern, they both weight about the same.  Storage length is not an issue.  I am fairly undecided but when looking for a used boat I know I need to pick the best of what's available.

2013 MXZ 24

Friends boat so I know the history, 250 hrs, maintained locally by the same mechanic that I use, mechanic speaks highly of the boat..  LS3 engine, surfgate, wedge.  Well kept

2014 MC X25

For sale locally, maintained by a local dealer, 100hrs, Gen 2 surf system, 6.0, I do not know the seller

Thank you,

I dont know much about either model, but knowing the previous owner and how they cared cared for their boat would be a big plus for me.  

I've always been interested in the x25 because we only wakeboard. Even with the gen2 MC surf system my impression is that the x25 isn't a strong surf performer. Great wakeboard wake though! If you do go with the x25 I know there are some people on team talk that have found a specific weight pattern to surf that hull.

I think the general advice would skew toward a larger hull. 

I have surfed the Malibu and a couple other boats. Not the x25. But I just started surfing so to be honest I suck, so I’m not sure I have an opinion on the waves. I know both can have a decent wave so I figure I’ll just learn on whichever I buy. 

I agree on the value of knowing the boat. Good point on the larger hull

I basically have to decide if I want the mxz24 tomorrow  as he is gonna list it this week

i guess my other option would be to see what else pops up this fall/winter but on the margin it would be nice to have a boat for Sept

The seller is a friend so I don’t want to push him on the pricing, though it’s very fair compared to a national search on inboardsonly, boatrader, the classifieds

Thanks

Thanks to all,  for the thoughts on short notice. I told my buddy earlier today I’d buy the mxz. He is gonna get it detailed and drop it off midweek The only thing I’m not a fan of is the touchscreen and the lack of manual backups for its functions

i appreciate the input 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@psuchaz   Hello.  Congrats on the new boat!  Hopefully you had  a great Aug/ Sept/ Oct of Surfing!   - I am interested in how you like the 2013 MXZ.  I am looking at 2013 MXZ here in the midwest.  It is a low hour boat with 410 hp LS3 engine as well.  I know 2013 was the first year for surf gate, and I have read that for the 2013 24 MXZ Malibu provided some additional modifications - but anything I found on that topic was sketchy....the comments were like "spraygate" instead of "surfgate."  Yet - when I view videos and reviews of 2013 MXZ's - they look sweet and the surfing looks amazing.

So I just want to get your feedback and maybe any pics that you have of the surfing/ surf wave and what you do to dial in the wave.

I currently have a 21 foot VLX and I know that depending on conditions amount of fuel in the tank, people on board, etc. that the wave is better sometimes than others - and if I go with just one other person (a driver only) - then I need to fill a fat sack or 2 for the bow.  I have plug n play 750s in the back and without a couple hundred pounds of people forward in the boat - there isn't enough push from the wave - except for a very small pocket.  Couple fat sacks in bow or friends just sitting opposite of driver and it is a great wave.  I would like to upgrade for some more room and thinking the 24 MXZ being bigger would always throw a big wave.  Would love to know how your experience has been since you took ownership in Aug.  Also - I share the same concern about LCD screens and no manual back up - and I have that in my 2014 VLX today (and it is a worry).

Edited by goingboating
22 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Spraygate fix is just a little tab, shown in this thread 

@chiefThank you for linking that thread to my question.  Very good info to know that that little tab resolves the issues, and it sounds like the issue was with the 20 MXZ and no one reported needed the modification for a 24 MXZ.  The 2013 24 MXZ that I am looking to purchase does not have any stainless steel on the surf gates - you just see a bunch of screws.  Made me wonder if this was the standard look for 2013 or if a previous owner modified the fins.  I was not able to attach a pic so my profile pic is a pic of the surfgate fin.....is this stock for a 2013 Malibu with Surfgate - it kind of looks like the fin was modified.  Thanks in advance for any additional feedback on the 24 ft 2013 MXZ.

Edited by goingboating
ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, goingboating said:

@chiefThank you for linking that thread to my question.  Very good info to know that that little tab resolves the issues, and it sounds like the issue was with the 20 MXZ and no one reported needed the modification for a 24 MXZ.  The 2013 24 MXZ that I am looking to purchase does not have any stainless steel on the surf gates - you just see a bunch of screws.  Made me wonder if this was the standard look for 2013 or if a previous owner modified the fins.  I was not able to attach a pic so my profile pic is a pic of the surfgate fin.....is this stock for a 2013 Malibu with Surfgate - it kind of looks like the fin was modified.  Thanks in advance for any additional feedback on the 24 ft 2013 MXZ.

2013 was the first year of Surf Gate from Malibu so there was no chrome cover for those screws. That started in 2014.