Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Let's talk surfboard fins

Nitrousbird

I ride a Soulcraft Emily, which uses Futures fins and has 4 fin boxes.  

I am running the Thermotech F4 fins in a twin setup.  I have also run it in a quad with the Von Sol Nubster fins.  It has a bit more drive with the quad setup.

I want to loosen the board up some without losing the drive.  Any recommendations?

https://chaossurfco.com/wakesurffins/chaos-wakesurf-fin-flare-fin-medium

I also had the Thermotech F4 fins in a twin with Nubsters on my Sourcraft Honu.  I put these Chaos fins on and it made a ton of difference in drive and maneuverability.  It was much more of a positive change than I could have imagined. They compared pretty close in surface area to the F4 so I went with the medium.  I took the Nubsters off and still had way more drive and that is how I ride it now.

I ride with the Futures Blackstixs on my Tuk Tuk and Nubstep. The Tuk Tuk is only set for a twin fin arrangement and the Nubstep has a four fin arrangement. I have only surfed a couple of times the nubsters in place and it is too locked in for me.  There are many fin choices out there for different riding styles and they make a huge difference. 

https://futuresfins.com/innovation/ride-number/ helps with some of the fin selections.

Chaos use to recommend the Blackstixs before developing their own. 

Looks like I need to order these now and see as well. Thanks @wakesonthesnake for helping me spend my $$$

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, jwl019 said:

I just got my Chaos small flare fins in just now and will be trying them out tomorrow.

15665754904107234180087675537145.jpg

Nice Doomsy there! Try the board as a twin setup as well if you like a looser board. 360s and 720s are much easier with twins. 

Edited by kerpluxal
11 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

Nice Doomsy there! Try the board as a twin setup as well if you like a looser board. 360s and 720s are much easier with twins. 

I usually ride it with the twin setup, bought the quad just because it wasn't much more if ordered at the same time.

I bought some fin box fillers as well just because, but really not sure how much difference that actually makes. 

13 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

Thanks @wakesonthesnake for helping me spend my $$$

That's just returning the Crew favor of releasing my pockets of overburden.

I am curious if there is any difference with the box fillers, let us know.  

I am riding the chaos fins this year too.  I must not have much feel for the fins, because honestly I don't feel like the board really rides differently.  I probably shouldn't have put them in until I'd ridden the other fins for a couple of days this season first.  

Suffice it to say that my riding hasn't dramatically changed and they don't make me look any younger.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I used mine set up as a twin set up yesterday (didn't have the box fillers in) and the major difference is how much easier the back end is to slide around at the top of the wake or anytime riding back foot heavy and really push the end.  Speed may be just a little bit faster, but not really sure.

On 8/23/2019 at 2:59 AM, Nitrousbird said:

I ride a Soulcraft Emily, which uses Futures fins and has 4 fin boxes.  

I am running the Thermotech F4 fins in a twin setup.  I have also run it in a quad with the Von Sol Nubster fins.  It has a bit more drive with the quad setup.

I want to loosen the board up some without losing the drive.  Any recommendations?

I switch between the blackstix AM1’s and the WCT’s in my SC voo doo. The wct’s Are definitely looser but not like night and day difference for me. I also run the von sol nubs. I should check it out without them but Jeff at soulcraft recommended it with the Nubs so I have just left them in. I really like the way it rides regardless of fins. The AM1’s and WCT’s are supposed to be at each end of the spectrum as far as locked in, speed generating (AM1’s) and loose and nimble (WCT’s). My boat board is a SC SOS and it has Thermo F4’s and I don’t get any complaints. 

Edited by isellacuras

Interesting responses.  Anyone try the Phase 5 3d speed fins?  Was going to get them but seems like mixed opinions on much change in performance with different fins. 

• 1 year later...

This is kinda an old thread....however, I have a 2019 Neo and just got Chaos Med Flares and currently have Blackstix.  I tried the flares last night and can't tell a huge difference.  I probably need to try them back to back to confirm.  However, I think I should have ordered teh Chaos smalls to loosen things up a bit....but I was afraid of losing too much speed.

• 9 months later...
On 8/25/2019 at 7:56 PM, shawndoggy said:

I am riding the chaos fins this year too.  I must not have much feel for the fins, because honestly I don't feel like the board really rides differently.  I probably shouldn't have put them in until I'd ridden the other fins for a couple of days this season first.  

Suffice it to say that my riding hasn't dramatically changed and they don't make me look any younger.

Resurrecting an old thread. How do you like the chaos fins if you still use them? Trying to decide between futures blackstix or the chaos fins. Thinking medium chaos fins. 

2 hours ago, SouthsideBoarder said:

Resurrecting an old thread. How do you like the chaos fins if you still use them? Trying to decide between futures blackstix or the chaos fins. Thinking medium chaos fins. 

They are fine.  No complaints.  I'm not sure I really noticed them being an upgrade from my prior basic F2 fins tho.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a new Soulcraft Voodoo.  It came with 4 fins.  Which two should I take off to make the board easier to spin?   and do i have to cover the holes after ?

I always heard that the outer fins really help you carve, so logic would say remove the outer fins to help loosen up the ride a bit.  Or just get smaller fins.  no need to cover the holes up 

On 7/21/2021 at 4:27 PM, Vic said:

I have a new Soulcraft Voodoo.  It came with 4 fins.  Which two should I take off to make the board easier to spin?   and do i have to cover the holes after ?

To loosen up the VooDoo you will just remove the rear nubs and ride with with the twin larger fins(front slots).  The VooDoo takes a little more effort to start the spin due to its outline but once you get it started spinning sticking the landing is pretty easy. 

I would not recommend riding just the nubs, your giving up too much performance and eventually you going to want to learn to break the fins free to progress your riding so might as well start now. 

I always suggest learning board slides to get used to the feeling of getting the fins to release. See the last trick in this line for a small board slide. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ovlSams6BDu4MR43Jxy3-OZUIfrPIMPg/view?usp=drivesdk

• Like 1