Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Who Else Hates Their Slider Bimini???

mrnate450r

Mine is not the easiest either, but I have found it is easier to push it forward from the back where it folds a little each side until it has slid all the way forward.  Actually pull it back the same way to stow it as well.

Lol

my wife hated it , and I’ll admit it can be frustrating, but I find that giving a small push on either side to dislodge it from its secured spot and then doing the same on the opposite side to even out the arms , it then slides easy out to the extended position.

im in charge of it now and don’t mind doing it so I don’t have to hear her complain about it. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, mrnate450r said:

I hate mine! It never slides easily. I always fight it going up or down.  Any tips to ease my frustrations? 

Mine can be a bit frustrating.  I have found that it goes out easiest as 2 person job.  Good team building  opportunity for you and your wife :-D. - you might be able to shave some of the foam out of that channel but you would risk it getting loose/sloppy after a few years of wear and tear.  A little silicon grease might help as well.

We use ours a lot and using 2 people is easiest. I use the dry film silicon spray and it helps for a little while. I have already had to disassemble both sides once to reapply the blue Loctite to the main hinge bolts. They both backed out and had a god awful rattle. While I was messing with it I also noticed a lot of metal to metal contact between the forward upper front of the housing and the front pole. That being the case, there is no way that this situation is going to get any better.

Thank god I have the GL bikini. Kinda happened by accident when I bought the boat, unbeknownst to me that was what was installed. One person job in about 1 minute put up or take down.

I don't mind the operation of the top itself, usually with 2 people its pretty quick.  What bugs me is that the clamping board racks cant swing in under the top.  To dock with the boards on, we need to swing them in.  Means we often choose between bimini, or having boards loaded at all times.  Annoying.  They are only about 1 inch to high, anyone else have this issue?

2 hours ago, dreamlifeoc1 said:

Thank god I have the GL bikini. Kinda happened by accident when I bought the boat, unbeknownst to me that was what was installed. One person job in about 1 minute put up or take down.

I do my slider by myself and that is all that the slider takes me. Every weekend.

Maybe I have just had more practice, and I do tend to drink!!:rofl::biggrin:

Edited by Sparky450
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Mattyb said:

I don't mind the operation of the top itself, usually with 2 people its pretty quick.  What bugs me is that the clamping board racks cant swing in under the top.  To dock with the boards on, we need to swing them in.  Means we often choose between bimini, or having boards loaded at all times.  Annoying.  They are only about 1 inch to high, anyone else have this issue?

Do you have two sets of racks?  We only have one set, and they are installed on the lower rack location.  They fold in fine with boards.  So either move your racks down, or if you have two sets, I hear you are screwed and it's the way that it is.  :-)

13 hours ago, jwl019 said:

Mine is not the easiest either, but I have found it is easier to push it forward from the back where it folds a little each side until it has slid all the way forward.  Actually pull it back the same way to stow it as well.

^^^ This.  I hate it though.  I walk back and forth from side to side but can probably only slide each side maybe 1 inch at a time.

Edited by eubanks

Use two people. Move it thru the sliders keeping it square the whole time. Sometimes you have to squeeze the U-Shape a touch to get it thru smoothly.

Lotta people complain about it. While I've seen easier, I've seen much, much worse.

7 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Almost forgot, tef gel works wonders on any metals that can bind up and sticks around for a LONG time. Wear gloves if you apply it though.

https://www.amazon.com/Tef-Gel-TG-02-Anti-seize-Anyi-gull-Lubricant/dp/B00CEF65T4

My thread about hating the bimini was posted not too long ago.  Don't get me started on twisting those microscopic D rings to keep the bimini in place.  

I still haven't put anything on it to make it slide easier, in fact, I just started leaving it pushed farther forward, so it does not get in the way of the mirror mount.  Is there a problem with that?  

Anyone have a link to the other lubricants mentioned above?  

22 hours ago, eubanks said:

Do you have two sets of racks?  We only have one set, and they are installed on the lower rack location.  They fold in fine with boards.  So either move your racks down, or if you have two sets, I hear you are screwed and it's the way that it is.  :-)

only one set, but we have two poles on our dock right on the entrance to the slip.  If they are mounted lower the boards run into the poles.  Solution = brought a portable band saw with me, time to cut those poles down to size this weekend.

ahopkins22LSV
4 hours ago, Mattyb said:

only one set, but we have two poles on our dock right on the entrance to the slip.  If they are mounted lower the boards run into the poles.  Solution = brought a portable band saw with me, time to cut those poles down to size this weekend.

If you swing them in on the lower position they still hit the poles?

19 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

If you swing them in on the lower position they still hit the poles?

Nope, but then I have boards hitting heads anytime we are coming or going.  Cut them down to size, and we are good to go!

On 8/22/2019 at 11:48 PM, mrnate450r said:

I hate mine! It never slides easily. I always fight it going up or down.  Any tips to ease my frustrations? 

Wait it folds down? Ha jk.. it can be a PIA sometimes and easy others,  but frankly I'm glad I only do it once a year