Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

cheap gunnel mod

riot138

@riot138

does this product come with an adhesive that sticks to the boat?  

Does it get hot in the sun?

how is it to the touch?  Soft? Rough?

it looks pretty good!  Depending on the answers to the above, I may be doing this mod.  Had two of my little ones already slip off the gunnels.  

23 hours ago, Whitecap said:

@riot138

does this product come with an adhesive that sticks to the boat?  

Does it get hot in the sun?

how is it to the touch?  Soft? Rough?

it looks pretty good!  Depending on the answers to the above, I may be doing this mod.  Had two of my little ones already slip off the gunnels.  

It doesn't get even close to as hot as my white vinyl. I've never noticed it hot at all.   It comes with a 3m sticker backing.  It is the exact  touch of a surfboard pad.  It's not rough on the feet and firm enough to be grippy.

Here is what i got from sea-dec. 4 gunnel pieces, two trailer fender pads, one trailer tongue pad, and the bow pad around the nav light. Now im just waiting for myself to stop procrastinating 

797F0834-0A15-4EDB-92FE-9B6A6527CC08.jpeg

Edited by RandomForumGuy

@RandomForumGuy

Can I ask what that cost from Sea Deck?  

Gator step charges $75 for that “bow” piece and $91 for the “rear deck” (which is six gunnel pieces).  I’m wondering if it’s worth the time and energy to trace it out on my boat with paper,  cut with scissors,  then past them in place, using the below  link?  At $30 bucks, it may be.

Or is it more worth it to just drop $166 to the company, have it sent to me, and paste it up?  

Time vs. money - the great debate.

https://www.amazon.com/ABAHUB-Non-Slip-Traction-Trimmable-Adhesive/dp/B07CWMB6LM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?keywords=non%2Bstick%2Bdeck%2Bpad%2Bboat&qid=1566674178&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzS0pPMzNXQ0IyQlJCJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDY3MDQzMkVTWExFS1lOQzVJNyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDY0NTE1M09LRjhaOTFPRVk3TiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3Bob25lX3NlYXJjaF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

It was around 700 for all the pieces but that gets you custom textures and colors of your choosing along with your local sea dek dealer measuring all the aspects to make sure it fits great. My only problem is that i currently have the type of cut and paste material mentioned above and it doesnt look too good all said and done. So once i pull the previous stuff off, i am going to have to put in alot of work to remove the old adhesive left behind before i can put the new sea dek on.

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Jeebus. The ballers are out again.

You think thats alot? Ask me about my california diesel tax... or property tax... or just tax... 

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Taxes are not the same as trinkets.

You are right! With trinkets you actually get something for what you spend hahaha!

• Like 2

I have to laugh. I just participated in the gatorstep group buy and ordered a complete gunnel kit (the total was under $200). I remember thinking to myself, “this has to be one of the cheapest boat purchases ever”! 

• Like 2

The cost of this stuff is nothing compared to the cost of an injury to someone jumping off the gunnel and slipping due to the lack of non-skid.  Yeah, I know they shouldn't be doing it, but it's near impossible to control everyone at every moment without being a complete boat nazi.