Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Mate Brake and turn signal light ions

MWJ68

2015 Boat Mate for my 23 LSV.

Hooked it up yesterday and my Expedition told me the left turn signal on the trailer is inop.

Visual check confirms this. Turn signal on car works great along with all the other lights.

Light on the trailer is LED. 

Looking for advise where to start. Wiring is all internal in the trailer frame. No dame to the wiring I can see. 

On older trailers I usually start with the grounding wire or bulb. I can't see the wiring because its behind the housing and I don't see a clear way to get behind the housing. Its reverted on. Does the lens pop off? Screws behind? Do LED's go out this early in life?

Thanks in advance!

I would check the connector where trailer plugs in on tow vehicle for voltage on left turn signal pin and go from there.   If you have it there when turn signal is applied then would have to either be trailer wiring or light itself.

There is a pile of wires with sketchy crimp connectors connecting the all of the trailer wiring inside of the left frame rail at the rear most part. If you reach in or fish around you should be able to pull all of that spaghetti out of there and most likely find your issue. The Malibu trailers are no better built than my BM was!

All of the lights are sealed LEDs that sit in a rubber "O" ring that secures them in the trailer frame. Just push them out by hand. The ones on my 2010 looked crusty but otherwise worked fine. When I reinstalled them I used plenty of wp grease on the connectors for good measure.

I did see that. Thanks! It sounds like your saying its much more likely a poor connection than the actual LED. If its not the car then the next step is find out which wire(s) are for the left turn signal. Unless its obvious looking at the wires that theres a poor connection.

Once you pull out the wiring you can follow the wires to the respective sides and lights. There is also a ground on the back side of the master cylinder in the tongue. Hopefully you have a swing away tongue so it is easy to get to check. I had issues on my ‘10. 

4 hours ago, MWJ68 said:

Its a brand new car but thats great advice. Ill check that first.

Oh ok...probably not the voltage from the car then....the led light should have a pronged connector that plugs into in if it's like the ones I have (can't remember actually if the prongs are on light or connector)...could check there for the voltage.  I have a much older trailer but when I changed over to LED's a few years ago I had a good deal of insulation that had been rubbed off of some of the wiring from years of contact with the interior of trailer frame.  I made sure to repair that and then wrapped up the areas prone to that with electrical tape.  I doubt that would be an issue on yours since it's fairly new but you never know.

Trailer Wiring Colors

Brown wire to the tail or parking lights.

Green wire to right turn signal/brake light.

Yellow wire to the left turn signal/brake light.

White wire to common or chassis ground.

Edited by DUKENO1
addition

Problem solved. Turned out to be the new car after all. One of the pins in the 7 pin receiver was not seated all the way in the housing. A small adjustment and now all connectors seat properly. 

Thanks for all the help!