Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Pressure switch Sensor need (ohmeater)

fishermen1918

Fellas!!  please help !!   Im trying to make this story as  quick and short as possible

2004 malibu LSV 23 foot *383 * hammerhead

Beeping started slowly under dash Beep Beep Beep. I saw 1time the dash said "oil; pressure" .

Since then it beep slower at lower speed and all the time at higher speeds. all fluids good and oild changed done 25 hours ago

I replaced the larger "oil Pressure Sending Unit (bakes $78.00)using teflon tape ( i know im removing this tape  ASAP )  -  The Ohm's reading on the old sensor Oil pressure sending unit was (240 ohms) so this was nto the issue as this is the correct spec I believe.

My question is using a ohms meter next I will next check the Oil Pressure Sensor (switch ) smaller one (bakes) ($39.00)

What should the ohms reading  from the Oil pressure switch senson be? I purchased a new one at it looked like the ohms readin was (80 ohms) .

Doing this save me some money as im not just shooting  in the dark "chanking parts"

Please anyone give me there advise as the summer is coming to a fast close

and this stupid "beeping noise is driving me NUTZZZZZ"  THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i don't remember which is which but one of the sending units changes resistance w oil pressure to feed the analog gauge.

the other (smaller i think) is a switch (not a resistance element) feeding the ecm which controls your beeping/ warning.

i guess my real question  is if !!!!     either 1 of the sensor or oil pressure switchs is bad and i remove the  wire from the back

will this stop beeping to let me know 1 or the other is bad !!!

does anyone know this for 100% sure

please

I can tell you with certainty that if the sensor that reports to the dash gauge is non-functioning or has no connection, you will see no oil reading.  Have you checked the service manuals/wiring diagrams?  Talked to your dealer? 

imho either can cause the beeping.

the oil pressure switch which is a source for the ecm will cause beeping by design.

in my '04 response when the lead to the oil pressure sensor for the analog gauge got knocked off i had unusual beeping at high speed.  cant be certain it's a normal or expected outcome.

to be more certain search this forum.  there are several threads describing the potential source(s) of the beeping.  iirc lack of oil pressure, high coolant temperature and high transmission temperatures will throw a warning.