Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Barney23

Hello all,

I have a 1998 Malibu Response and the steering is fairly tough at the moment. I have owned it since August 2005 and replaced a total of 2 steering cables with the last one installed in 2016. I disconnected the cable (at the back end) from the rudder and it is still hard to steer.

Does this mean I need to replace the steering cable or the rudder box or something else?

Thanks for your input!

Is the rudder hard to steer, or is it the wheel?  Which ever one is hard needs to be fixed. 

The only reason I can think of for steering cables to fail in an inboard boat is too much water in the bilge.  The cable really prefers a dry environment. 

15 hours ago, Barney23 said:

Hello all,

I have a 1998 Malibu Response and the steering is fairly tough at the moment. I have owned it since August 2005 and replaced a total of 2 steering cables with the last one installed in 2016. I disconnected the cable (at the back end) from the rudder and it is still hard to steer.

Does this mean I need to replace the steering cable or the rudder box or something else?

Thanks for your input!

Just a thought but think there is a zert grease fitting on the the steering gear.  Maybe you already have greased it.  Worth looking into.  Could make it stiff to turn the rudder.  

Thanks for the replies. I did end up greasing it but it was still stiff. So, it is the steering cable.

Now I am having trouble pulling the tail end out of the opening under the bow (in hindsight I should have cut it and taped the tail to a rope).

I did tie a rope to the tail eyelet but I cannot seem to pull it back toward the rudder or forward. That metal tail is caught and wondering how to jar it loose.

Good question. I got it pulled thru but I lost the rope so putting the new cable in should be interesting.

I think if any water gets in there it can ruin the cable. They should design them to be waterproof.

On 8/20/2019 at 4:54 PM, Barney23 said:

Thanks for the replies. I did end up greasing it but it was still stiff. So, it is the steering cable.

Now I am having trouble pulling the tail end out of the opening under the bow (in hindsight I should have cut it and taped the tail to a rope).

I did tie a rope to the tail eyelet but I cannot seem to pull it back toward the rudder or forward. That metal tail is caught and wondering how to jar it loose.

Maybe try bolting the steering cable back up to the helm and turn the steering wheel to retract the end of the cable so it is easier to pull through the hole in the deck.  I usually do this first (if possible), then attach a guide line to the cable end eyelet, then unbolt the cable from the helm and clamp a vise grip to the rack gear on the cable to prevent the other end from extending.  I do the same thing on the new cable so the cable doesn't extend when I am pulling it back through with the guide line.  I also duct tape the steering cable nut on the new cable so it doesn't get dislodged and lost somewhere along the cable length when installing it.