Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Carbon Monoxide Worries?

Newbie1

Hey! We are looking at getting a 2020 Axis T22, and are super excited about it. A family member recently brought up the concern of carbon monoxide poisoning with wake-surfing, since you are so close to the boat, and going at a slow speed. I know I had heard of this years ago before wake-surfing was super popular, but it’s not something I’ve thought about since. Is this a valid concern? I appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

I have spent a lot of hours behind my boat this summer and have yet to even notice any exhaust at all.  I’m not saying people are lying or exhaust systems aren’t a good option.  I fully expected to have to get one because I am sensitive to CO from a previous accident.  Maybe I am lucky with the quality or blend of non-eth fuel we have in the area because I just haven’t felt the need to take that step since purchasing.  I’m glad I held off, it’s nice to put that cash in the fuel tank rather than the exhaust pipe for my purposes.

1 minute ago, Newbie1 said:

Thank you all so much for the info! So the surf pipe and FAE would essentially do the same thing if I understand correctly? 

We definitely want to opt for the Power Wedge. 

Yes, they do the same thing.

13 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

Most of the new boats come with a "Surf Pipe". If you pick it up and the boat has this option on it already.. then you won't need FAE pipe as it is already installed.

Also.. all newer boats have catalytic converters on them and this converts CO to CO2..

How does the catalytic converter reduce the risks of CO poisoning? The typical catalytic converter found on most newer cars and trucks combines oxygen with carbon monoxide to form non-poisonous carbon dioxide (CO2) reducing the high concentrations in the exhaust manifold (typically 30,000 ppm or more) to low concentrations (typically below 1,000 ppm after the catalytic converter). Tailpipe concentrations of carbon monoxide in gasoline engines without catalytic converters are typically from 30,000 to over 100,000 ppm, depending on the condition of the engine.

So glad you said this as I remember being lambasted in this site  about the no smell killer when I mentioned how I don’t even get s whiff of exhaust ( containing the odorless  CO) from my ‘14 Axis with just flappers ,  Been on  several other boats especially a ‘17 Tige RZX3 snd it was a smoker ,  I knew that the poisoning wasn’t any issue snd when someone is loading into water or in to platform ,you can turn it off snd I’m sure it immediately disburses 

snd with no detectable exhaust smell I figured I wasn’t coming in contact with the “non detectable  killer” that much and I think your stats confirm that 

Edited by granddaddy55
  • 2 weeks later...

On 8/19/2019 at 9:40 PM, Newbie1 said:

Thank you all so much for the info! So the surf pipe and FAE would essentially do the same thing if I understand correctly? 

We definitely want to opt for the Power Wedge. 

Yeah I definitely do the power wedge. The wrist band control is AWESOME! My A24 doesn't smoke at all. Most of the new boats have the exhaust systems pushing down into the water. 

The real concern is while idling, sitting on swim deck or back deck of boat.  Surfing, not so much.  Never idle the boat for very long is the answer, never when folks are sitting back there.  I unfortunately know of one fatality in our area from this just two years ago.

• Like 1
On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:01 PM, daylorb said:

The real concern is while idling, sitting on swim deck or back deck of boat.  Surfing, not so much.  Never idle the boat for very long is the answer, never when folks are sitting back there.  I unfortunately know of one fatality in our area from this just two years ago.

Sadly there were two fatalities in our area this year also. 

I had a problem one time while surfing, the wind was probably blowing between 10 to 12 mph.  I was going down wind to avoid all the spray that was hitting us,  I was feeling a bit queasy and then my daughter mentioned the same and I figured it out.  We were the only two of five on the boat that were affected.  I turned at a angle to the wind and we felt better in a half hour or so. 

• 1 year later...

My daughter almost died from open air exhaust Co poisoning. Please do your research. I’ll see if I can copy my Facebook post about it, but if it doesn’t post please reach out to me on Facebook messenger Cally Mastio Hamdan and I’ll share the story with you. 

9 hours ago, Catmas01 said:

Two things would have prevented that.  #1, as mentioned, to not have anyone sitting where she was while the boat was running.  Sitting there is also illegal in most (or all) states while the boat is moving.  Having a fresh air exhaust would have also prevented this.

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2020 at 6:24 AM, Nitrousbird said:

Two things would have prevented that.  #1, as mentioned, to not have anyone sitting where she was while the boat was running.  Sitting there is also illegal in most (or all) states while the boat is moving.  Having a fresh air exhaust would have also prevented this.

Wouldn't an X26 come standard with a FAE? I mean, I don't know Mastercraft products well, but a new X26 retails for like 180K...I doubt it's an option, but I could be wrong. 

Harrowing story though. My boat is being delivered in April and has similar rear transom seats, so I'm glad I read that story.