Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What am I doing wrong? Nav lights on MLS screen issue.

I’m a new to me boat owner.  One month of practical experience. 2013, 23’ LSV, 350 monsoon.  This boat came to me without a key, so I’m using the “enter code” function on “MUX”screen to start up and shut off the engine. (Will have that fixed this winter).

Upon battery power up and master power switch pressed, I then enter the code for the boat.  Once completed, battery voltage appears and other information is available to determine the boats condition. The blower automatically starts up in preparation for an impending engine start.  Everything looks and works great. All options on the left side of the MUX screen are functional.  EXCEPT LIGHTS. The lights function on the left side of the screen won’t let me select it.

F6C13247-68B3-4818-B097-356B23EB0CEB.jpeg

If I select “switch” (the last selection on the left of the MUX screen), then hit “set up”, as pictured above in the first pic, the following screen allows for me to choose what lights are available. 

74A46ED4-B836-4FF2-88EB-806BC24A2F60.jpeg

14BFFA00-B6D0-431E-947B-5091F07379ED.jpeg

I don’t have tower lights and I don’t have underwater lights.  I believe all my selection on the lights page are correct.  Why is the lights page, with the picture of the boat, that lets me select the individual lights, not coming up.  I don’t drive this boat at night, but I would want this functionality, especially the dock lights, in case one of my crazy night boating neighbors need my help for some reason.

What am I doing wrong?  What am I missing here?  The screen works perfectly fine.  It appears to be something else besides a defective touch screen.  

Thanks for the help,

Whitecap

Edited by Whitecap

Has to be something else, right?  What are the odds that,  the screen fails with the exact same width and length, right on top of an existing screen selection.

do these screens fail in such a fashion?  Hard for me to think this is the case.  Anyone have experience with a screen failure?  Is the failure of the screen in large areas,  or is failure of the screen in small, pinpoint areas? 

Edited by Whitecap

The touch screens have sectors. They can appear to fail at the perfect spot. Usually I see it at the start button. Only other thing would be try and reload/update the software. But these screens were prone to problems.

Bummer..... hope that is not the case.  From what I’m reading, the screens are an expensive fix. Thanks for the info @COOP.

if that is screen is broken, in the exact perfect spot as the light switch.....then..... no night ops for me.  Oh well, my ride will be lightless.

would trying the factory reset option have any effect do you think?  I’d hate to lose all my custom presets.  May be worth a try?

Edited by Whitecap

Interesting @COOP.  You may be right, sir.   I took the boat out today and spent a good 5-10 minutes playing with the screen while my buddy set the boat up for surfing.  I found a spot....one spot..... that I can touch and have the “lights” page pop up.  If I touch just below the “h” in lights, just on the outside of the, lights button, border....the “lights” page pops up.

So it looks like you were right Coop.  It looks that one tiny section of my screen failed over the lights button.  I’m glad I won’t need those lights, but it’s good to know exactly where to touch to make them pop up........ just in case.

thanks for all the info guys.

On 8/23/2019 at 6:56 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

They have sourced a new supplier. 

I wonder if that supplier is rebuilding them. About a year ago they started slapping core charges on them and we had to send them back.

ahopkins22LSV
7 hours ago, Malibuwrench said:

I wonder if that supplier is rebuilding them. About a year ago they started slapping core charges on them and we had to send them back.

That makes me want to say yes they are.