Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 20VTX Surf Gate problems

Tried to search the forums and found some info but could use some help/clarification.  I'm getting random Sensor Fault and Left Gate Retraction errors.  I've tried scoping things out myself and only found the black sealant between the wire sleeve and the actuator wire penetration missing. I could see the wires but no open conductors.  I resealed it but don't really think this was the overall problem.  I've been having to shut off battery power to get things working again.  Can anone tell me exactly how to do the calibration technique.  When you start it, does it run and then shut off when complete or do you just shut it off after a while?  I'm hoping this gets me through the next few weeks until I take it to the dealer, probably for an actuator replacement.

To calibrate the surf gates, go to the SETTINGS tab on the right hand screen, select SURF GATE, touch the BEGIN button and then touch the END button when the gates are fully retracted.

A sensor fault can be caused by either the surf gate not fully retracting (like of there is less than a half inch gap between the gate and the swim platform restricting it) or an internal failure of the actuator reed switch, or the small harness wires from the reed switch on the actuator to the I/O module have a bad connection.  If there is a problem with the surf gate relays not allowing the gates to be retracted, you can also get a retracting error alarm.

The circuit for the actuator reed switch should be closed (low resistance) when the gate is closed, and it should be open (high resistance) when the gate is open (even when it is open just a little bit).

TY csleaver & Malibuwrench!  I haven't done much exploring to find the points to take those readings but your assessment seems spot on as I got a reed switch fault once but haven't seen it since.  I'll try hitting END when they retract in cal mode.  Clearances are good with no restrictions so if cal doesn't do it, then yes, warranty is next.

• 2 weeks later...

So I took my boat to the dealer.  Without them being able to reproduce the error while there, they will not do any parts replacement.  I know when I tow it back to my lake, at some point, the error will probably reoccur.  Anyone else have this happen and have their dealer accept that an error occurred by what you tell them (without seeing it on the display or being able to reproduce it)?

Maybe take a video of the warning alarm on the display when the surf gate fails and send that to your dealer with info on your speed, how long you operated the boat before the alarm, and any other info that may be pertinent or helpful to them.

When I went to pick up boat, they asked if I wanted to test ride with the technician.  They said they couldn't reproduce the fault. On the first start the gate failed and the alarm came up for left retracting.  Now they're going to ix it.

Taking a video was going tot be the next step if I towed it back to our lake and had it happened there.

Thanks.

The module didn't do the trick. Errors kept coming up.   Like I thought from the beginning, they replaced the actuator and resolved the problem.

Edited by Pilz