Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M24

tn_rider

1 hour ago, 23LSVOwner said:

It is truly next level. You have to see and hear it to understand. I'm a stereo nut and I was blown away.

Yup.  Heard that to nearly word for word a few years ago.  My expectations are low, so I should be really happy when I get to crawl around one in person.  Here's what would impress me since none of it is done yet on any OEM Malibu.

DSP: Separate unit not built into the amps or the helm.  And they actually learn how to use all of it's potential.  Better yet, they make the software available for folks to tune their own (pipe dream there I know).  That is, time delays are correctly implemented to put the sound stage at the driver's ears.  And do so without the phase response not messing up the sound everywhere else.  Some good use of all-pass filters (i.e. good expensive DSPs) strategically can get that done. Also multiple tunes.  One for running down the lake where the house curve demands more bass, mid-bass, and bass, but less treble.  One for floating with a flat sound response.  And I can think of a lot more, but those two tunes alone would be really nice.  I've got four different ones myself and it's amazing.  I even did one for surfing goofy and surfing standard for the tower speakers.  Just that little bit more clarity in time delays makes the music punch through the wind/water/engine noise better.

Speaker Location: SOLID bulkheads with no openings (nearby) in it for the speakers to have dips in their reproduction.  DSPs can't fix a hole in the frequency response due to that.  Borrow a page from Centurion's book.  Make use of that massive tower and put speakers in IT up above our heads, projecting down. I don't mean hanging down.  I mean inside the tower. That mitigates some of my statements further down the list about tweeter aiming.  We don't need big bass up there.  Small speakers working on the upper frequency ranges are perfect for cramming into a tower with designed voids.  That'd be an ideal way to get the sound stage where you wanted it.  That is, up off the floor or seat and up to ear level.  That's just my theory though.  Missing lower frequencies might make it hard to blend and brittle sounding.  But I like the dream.

Speaker Housings: Ported, well tuned subwoofer box that doesn't woof at the port.  The windshield is an interesting and challenging place to play with sound, but it's an opportunity as well.  Something here would fascinate me.  The fabrication skills have to be VERY high degree of tolerance for it to work best and not get bad combing.

Speaker Choice: Actually point some tweeters at ear level.  We're in an open environment.  Unlike a car you can't bounce sound off an enclosed space to get surround sound.  The only really good surface for that is the windshield.  The simplest solution is aiming the drivers at head level.  Since the tweeters are the most directional, having them mounted separate or with an angle or ability to pivot in the coaxial like a home in-wall/ceiling speaker would make an amazing improvement for aiming.  We humans don't easily tell if sound is above or below us.  But we're awesome at left vs right and forward vs back to a lesser extent.  So the speakers can be almost anywhere (floor) as long as the tweeters are aimed right.

Projected Subwoofer:  Now this is something I haven't done yet to my boat.  Since the new fad is two subs.  And since DSPs are more prolific.  I'd like to see the subs set up with just enough phase delay between them to actually cancel each other a little bit in the boat.  But combine out behind the boat.  I mean you can buy MORE sub and amp and make it thump the surfer's chest.  But the people in the boat are probably getting organ damage. :) But you can set the subs up by putting them in two different places along the length of the boat.  And change their phase a tad so that the occupants of the boat get less and the surfer gets the sum.  Kind of a surf-gate for the sub.  Wave convergence.

Amps:  Lose the proprietary connectors.  A cable assembly is never going to be as clean a signal as commoditized shielded RCA cable.  OR go all optical with SPDIF.  That would be awesome.

Ergonomics / Human Factors:  Touch screens are nice for setup.  When working a vehicle and being the DJ nothing beats a couple double barreled knobs for fast zone control and sub control.  Having some of those anywhere at the helm and easy to access would be a big plus.

What I don't want to see:  Them bury a digital SPDIF signal in a vendor field in the CAN bus so that we'll have to hack the can bus to get the signal form the head-unit/helm.

If they did the majority of these things, then I'd stand behind them and applaud at $20,000 as a bargain.  

Edited by Slurpee
1 hour ago, Slurpee said:

Yup.  Heard that to nearly word for word a few years ago.  My expectations are low, so I should be really happy when I get to crawl around one in person.  Here's what would impress me since none of it is done yet on any OEM Malibu.

DSP: Separate unit not built into the amps or the helm. Good idea, but probably wont happen this way.  And they actually learn how to use all of it's potential. Agree 100%  Better yet, they make the software available for folks to tune their own (pipe dream there I know).  That is, time delays are correctly implemented to put the sound stage at the driver's ears. Not sure time delay on a boat is worth the effort, to many people blocking speakers, moving around. And do so without the phase response not messing up the sound everywhere else.  Some good use of all-pass filters (i.e. good expensive DSPs) strategically can get that done. Also multiple tunes.  One for running down the lake where the house curve demands more bass, mid-bass, and bass, but less treble.  One for floating with a flat sound response. Agree 100%. And this could be done without letting users mess with gains on the amps. And I can think of a lot more, but those two tunes alone would be really nice.  I've got four different ones myself and it's amazing.  I even did one for surfing goofy and surfing standard for the tower speakers.  Just that little bit more clarity in time delays makes the music punch through the wind/water/engine noise better.

Speaker Location: SOLID bulkheads with no openings (nearby) in it for the speakers to have dips in their reproduction.  DSPs can't fix a hole in the frequency response due to that.  Borrow a page from Centurion's book.  Make use of that massive tower and put speakers in IT up above our heads, projecting down. I don't mean hanging down.  I mean inside the tower. That mitigates some of my statements further down the list about tweeter aiming.  We don't need big bass up there.  Small speakers working on the upper frequency ranges are perfect for cramming into a tower with designed voids.  That'd be an ideal way to get the sound stage where you wanted it.  That is, up off the floor or seat and up to ear level.  That's just my theory though.  Missing lower frequencies might make it hard to blend and brittle sounding.  But I like the dream.

Speaker Housings: Ported, well tuned subwoofer box that doesn't woof at the port.  The windshield is an interesting and challenging place to play with sound, but it's an opportunity as well.  Something here would fascinate me.  The fabrication skills have to be VERY high degree of tolerance for it to work best and not get bad combing. Disagree here, but its personal opinion. Im not a fan of ported boxes in general, and on a boat where you can have debris and critters and bugs get inside I think they make even less sense. A good DSP ( I like to use the Audio Control DM-810)set up properly will make a sealed box sound better, play loud and low.

Speaker Choice: Actually point some tweeters at ear level.  We're in an open environment.  Unlike a car you can't bounce sound off an enclosed space to get surround sound.  The only really good surface for that is the windshield.  The simplest solution is aiming the drivers at head level.  Since the tweeters are the most directional, having them mounted separate or with an angle or ability to pivot in the coaxial like a home in-wall/ceiling speaker would make an amazing improvement for aiming.  We humans don't easily tell if sound is above or below us.  But we're awesome at left vs right and forward vs back to a lesser extent.  So the speakers can be almost anywhere (floor) as long as the tweeters are aimed right. Something like the old Image Dynamics Waveguides would be cool on the dash at the base of the windshield.

Projected Subwoofer:  Now this is something I haven't done yet to my boat.  Since the new fad is two subs.  And since DSPs are more prolific.  I'd like to see the subs set up with just enough phase delay between them to actually cancel each other a little bit in the boat.  But combine out behind the boat.  I mean you can buy MORE sub and amp and make it thump the surfer's chest.  But the people in the boat are probably getting organ damage. :) But you can set the subs up by putting them in two different places along the length of the boat.  And change their phase a tad so that the occupants of the boat get less and the surfer gets the sum.  Kind of a surf-gate for the sub.  Wave convergence. Interesting idea. There was a company years ago that made a subwoofer dsp unit that would do this. We used them in a few SPL cars at the time. Unfortunately the company doesnt exist anymore. What was cool was they had different presets so you could do what your saying and actually move the peak of the bass wave, up to the windshield or even behind or in front of the car/truck to maximize the SPL depending on the competition. It also had presets for SQ and spl, or for different music. It could be used to make a sub in the wrong size enclosure sound good. It was programed with its own software when connected to a computer, you had to put in every theil small parameter and box specs. It even had a wireless remote. It was super cutting edge for time (early 90s), the company that built them was also a military contractor.

Amps:  Lose the proprietary connectors.  A cable assembly is never going to be as clean a signal as commoditized shielded RCA cable.  OR go all optical with SPDIF.  That would be awesome. Optical would be very cool.

Ergonomics / Human Factors:  Touch screens are nice for setup.  When working a vehicle and being the DJ nothing beats a couple double barreled knobs for fast zone control and sub control.  Having some of those anywhere at the helm and easy to access would be a big plus. Agree 100%

What I don't want to see:  Them bury a digital SPDIF signal in a vendor field in the CAN bus so that we'll have to hack the can bus to get the signal form the head-unit/helm.

If they did the majority of these things, then I'd stand behind them and applaud at $20,000 as a bargain.  

Edited by COOP

@COOP, I could get behind some sealed boxes. A DSP can make either sealed or ported sound good. Especially if there’s multiple subs sealed will let them fit in smaller spaces.

The time delay is definitely worth it.  I wanted to see for myself 3 years ago when Malibu trumpeted DSP. I thought that’s what they meant so I went and did it. Dedicated amp channels, two TWK88s. And after the LONG learning curve I can definitely say it sounds awesome! But it’s subtle to. Not many folks actually “listen” to music. They hear it and feel it and stop there. 

Folks moving around and blocking speakers really doesn’t effect things much at all it turns out.  They’re so loud it blows around obstacles.  The important ones are the two pilots speakers  and those aren’t ever blocked.

14 hours ago, Chappy said:

you have a boat on order but you can't talk about it?

its not my place to give details on a boat that has not been officially released, if you contact your dealer they can tell you specifics and specs im just not gonna be the one to release all of it. hope people can appreciate that

2 hours ago, robbieg247 said:

its not my place to give details on a boat that has not been officially released, if you contact your dealer they can tell you specifics and specs im just not gonna be the one to release all of it. hope people can appreciate that

I can appreciate that! 

11 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

It is truly next level. You have to see and hear it to understand. I'm a stereo nut and I was blown away.

Actually, this means a lot coming from you. Not being sarcastic either.  I’m genuinely anxious to check it out. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, vanamp said:

Is this tip-toe dance still going on?  Can we just lock this thread for a few weeks and resume when someone actually has something to say?

Exactly! This might be the most worthless thread on TMC.  "I know things but I can't talk about it"

Edited by Chappy

10 pages of "I know something and am super important, but I can't say what I know or why I'm important. But trust me internet randoms, it's huge and I am. My relationships are kind of a big deal, you wouldn't understand. And if you challenge me on it I'll get super righteous so just don't, it only proves to everyone how much you just don't understand".   

I kid but seriously... 

• Like 3

Speaking of which, can we make it so the block function blocks the entire post from the person, rather than just deleting their comment text while still showing they commented? Otherwise what’s the point of blocking someone, if their posts still clutter the feed?

15 minutes ago, NWBU said:

Speaking of which, can we make it so the block function blocks the entire post from the person, rather than just deleting their comment text while still showing they commented? Otherwise what’s the point of blocking someone, if their posts still clutter the feed?

Who getting blocked? 😂😂

38 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

Who getting blocked? 😂😂

I block or unfollow pretty much anyone on any social media platform that has a weak grasp on common sense or doesn't add some value after awhile. Frees up a ton of time since I now spend 10-15 minutes a day and keep up with everything I want to follow.

1 hour ago, NWBU said:

Frees up a ton of time since I now spend 10-15 minutes a day and keep up with everything I want to follow.

Wow.  I spend more time than that just typing replies on this site... I never was good at time management. 

1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

Man, the internet must be like a digital desert for you!  :)

Eh, it's not as bad as I'm making it seem on TMC. So far it's only 3 people here, in 5 years of reading just about every post. FB, Twitter and IG are where you can burn serious time if you don't manage content.

6 hours ago, Zac said:

10 pages of "I know something and am super important, but I can't say what I know or why I'm important. But trust me internet randoms, it's huge and I am. My relationships are kind of a big deal, you wouldn't understand. And if you challenge me on it I'll get super righteous so just don't, it only proves to everyone how much you just don't understand".   

I kid but seriously... 

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

12 hours ago, asnowman said:

So, this thread has been fun to read, but I get to actually go out on the new M in a couple weeks (or less) and i promise to picture the heck out of it and post all the info i can get while we are out on it. 

We will have it on a local lake, with my 25 LSV along at the same time. Should be fun.

It’s awesome you will love it 

For those complaining, I think quite a bit has actually come to light in this thread, either confirmed or highly likely to be accurate. 

1. Confirmation of the new model and size

2. Interior/helm unique to this model

3. Fast fill ballast

4. New surfgate system

5. New stereo

6. Weight

7. Actual wave pics

8. An actual build sheet, although with dealer modified pricing

9. Confirmation you get build them in the dealer portal, with renderings now.  

10.  New supercharged motor offering

Pretty good list I'd say for a model not acknowledged publicly by Malibu yet.   

Edited by hethj7
  • Like 3
25 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

For those complaining, I think quite a bit has actually come to light in this thread, either confirmed or highly likely to be accurate. 

1. Confirmation of the new model and size

2. Interior/helm unique to this model

3. Fast fill ballast

4. New surfgate system

5. New stereo

6. Weight

7. Actual wave pics

8. An actual build sheet, although with dealer modified pricing

9. Confirmation you get build them in the dealer portal, with renderings now.  

10.  New supercharged motor offering

Pretty good list I'd say for a model not acknowledged publicly by Malibu yet.   

But 90% of that list is vague usless info. I could start a new thread about a 2021 model copy and paste that list and it would probably be 95% accurate. Its like a horoscope.