Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Noobie with a 22 MXZ, learning the boat and have questions

bkearney

We just got a 22 MXZ (2018 model year) and have tried it out on the lake this weekend. Our old boat was a 2003 Moomba, so it is a bit of a change for us. We have the 410 engine and the 2249 prop. There are PNP tanks in the back lockers. We have a couple of questions compared to the old boat. I have scanned through the forums a bit and I 

1) Cruising down the lake with 3 folks, the engine is hitting about 4k rpms to get to 28-30 MPH. Is this what other folks run?

2) With the same 3 folks, and setting the default surf option (100% in all lockers) we can use the wedge at all levels. However, add 2 folks (so 4 folks in the back with one surfer) and we can not get above the 2nd or third slot. Do I have too much weight in the back?

3) Related to above, how far below or above the water should the surf gate be on the non surfer side? We had a suckgate on our old boat and I tended to put it 1" below the water line when it was at rest.

Thanks in advance!

-- bk

1) are you at elevation? A lot of 2018 23 lsv owners switched to the 2277 to reduce cruising and surfing rpms. 

2) Yes, throw some people up in the bow. The shorter boats, love bow weight. How big are your pnp bags? 

• Like 2

We are not at elevation (300ft above sea level). The bags in the back are the fatsac 570s, so a total of 1140 when full. I assume with folks in the boat I may not want to fill them?

For surfing, you can run the wedge at whatever level you want, the only time you should be getting a warning about the wedge is when your going too fast with the wedge deployed... but that is usually at 27+mph.... 

My 22 VLX has 2x 750 sacs on top of the stock ballast system in the lockers. I never have to have these filled more than maybe half way filled and 1-2 additional people in the boat. Why not? Creating an awesome surf wake isnt about max ballast in these newer malibus, you want to have it perfectly weighted for optimal surf wave. So you only fill up the back sacs enough when you have enough weight in the front. You gotta have that nose nicely waited so if you over extend yourself and weigh down the back end and the front end doesn't have enough ballast it makes for a sloppier wave. 

My suggestion,  load up the stock Wake surf preset (which will be full ballast. Since you have the plug n play sacs, that means tend to those sacs and maybe only fill them up half way. I bet you will put out a killer wave at about 350-400lbs on the 570 sacs.  Assuming you only have the 2-3 people in the boat. The more people you have in the boat the less aggressive you need to be on the 570s... You can always slide your kooler up front near captains chair, or possibly squeeze it through the walk way too. 

Remember you can always start with just stock ballast, see how it is, and add ballast as you go until the waves right where you want it, or adjust the wedge, but I rarely touch the wedge once set.

Last thing... What prop do you have on there? It sounds like they may have swapped it out at one point and it may not be optimal for your boat, although this will mainly just affect you out of hole speeds and top end..

@dielawn, thanks for reply. I will try not using the 100% load in the back and see what I get with more folks. \\When I noticed the issues I had 4 folks in the back and no one up front, so i am going to guess I was too back weighted.

I checked the other day, and it has the 2249 prop. From what I have read that prop will lead to rpms, my concern is 4k rpms at 27MPH was normal or not.

-- bk

• 4 weeks later...

Consider looking at the 2279 prop. It's gonna relax that engine a ton better than the 2249 does but has a bit more low end than the 2277. We have a 2279 on our 2019 Axis A22 (409) that came with a 2249 (never over 3100k ballast in our boat) and it does everything fine at sea level (no pro riders and not a huge crew very often). At 3500rpm, we're cruising at almost 26 and at 4k rpm we are around 29-29.5.

Edited by formerathlete
5 minutes ago, formerathlete said:

Consider looking at the 2279 prop. It's gonna relax that engine a ton better than the 2249 does but has a bit more low end than the 2277. We have a 2279 on our 2019 Axis A22 (409) that came with a 2249 (never over 3100k ballast in our boat) and it does everything fine at sea level (no pro riders and not a huge crew very often). At 3500rpm, we're cruising at almost 26 and at 4k rpm we are around 29-29.5.

Second all these thoughts.  I have used all 3 of these props as well.  Info is spot on.  I'm at about 1000' of elevation in Minnesota.

• Like 1