Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop Prices & 2277 vs 2247

ajive

I noticed wakemakers has what looks to be a good prop sale for the end of the season.  However, I don't keep an eye on props all year... though I can't ever recall there not being some sort of discount.  I was going to wait till the spring to get a backup (or maybe new primary), but if this sale is actually better than normal pricing I may just go ahead and do it now.  Looking at the 2277 or 2247 both at $560.  Is that a better price than I'd expect to get in the spring?

With that asked... I currently have the 2277 on the raptor 410 at sea level and it seems to be great all around.  I cruise about 27mph at 3600rpm and surf between 3600 and 3900rpm depending on how much wedge my rider wants.  I'd love to drive down the rpms a bit, especially while surfing (we don't need to travel far and rarely pull a wakeboard).  If I understand props correctly, the 2247 (-1.25" pitch) would give me some more torque, but higher rpms once at speed, right?  If that's right then I don't want that!

The other option is the OJ825 (+0.5" pitch).  Less torque, lower RPMs?

Any experience with any of these props on a 23LSV with that engine?

Sorry for beating the dead horse of prop selection... but I always get lost on the topic and it's so boat and application specific I felt like I needed to ask about my personal conundrum!:crazy:

• 2 weeks later...

Not that this thread got much traction, but I'm going to report back for posterity and future searching.

I got the 2247 after talking to Acme.  I lost about 3mph cruising at 3600rpm (23 vs 26 using the paddle wheel... probably more like 27 vs 30 since my paddle wheel seems to under report).

Surf RPMs really didn't move.  However, and this may be preferential perception, the engine seems to run smoother and a hair quieter.

So overall, I think it was an upgrade.  If running the same RPMs surfing it must not be slipping as much.  Definitely feel the extra umpf popping up to speed too.

• 8 months later...

Late reply here but I am contemplating prop change.

what year is your 23lsv?

if you running same rpms with the 2247 from the 2277, then I’m thinking it must have been slipping because the 2247 less pitch.  

I got a 2249 and want to try the 2247 to get my rpms down?

23 lsv 2018.  I’m at 3800 surfing stock plus 540s pnp wedge 2 clicks from ramp.  150 extra lbs in bow.  Just driver and maybe 1 person in cabin

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/25/2019 at 10:03 PM, ajive said:

Not that this thread got much traction, but I'm going to report back for posterity and future searching.

I got the 2247 after talking to Acme.  I lost about 3mph cruising at 3600rpm (23 vs 26 using the paddle wheel... probably more like 27 vs 30 since my paddle wheel seems to under report).

Surf RPMs really didn't move.  However, and this may be preferential perception, the engine seems to run smoother and a hair quieter.

So overall, I think it was an upgrade.  If running the same RPMs surfing it must not be slipping as much.  Definitely feel the extra umpf popping up to speed too.

I’m considering getting the 2247 as my alternate prop / 3000-3500’ elevation prop. It looks like a good one for my purpose vs the 2419.

thanks for your comments @ajive