Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Unusually low priced Malibu from dealer. Thoughts?

shiftman

seems like it'd be hard to go wrong at that price.  The trailer looks like it has seen better days and the front bearings are probably due for a repack given the grease all over the wheels.  Would probably be worth doing brakes while you're in there.

I have the sneaking suspicion that that interior has been redone (doesn't look like one I've ever seen).... but still, for the price, who cares.

The ad says all new upholstery. At least from the pics the gel looks discolored/oxidized but it might be the low res pics and my computer screen.  The good news is most of the time the gel can be restored to like new with a little effort and know how and a weekend to two.  

I have a Sunscape and you can do any Watersport you want with it.  That price seems a little low but I am sure you will do lake test and have engine and trans checked out. New upholstery can run 5K.  Diamond hull is fine and that is what I have.  Prefer Wake hull but still throws a great wake with ballast set correctly.  Can't see tower speakers in pic.  Those can run 1K for a pair or even more and then you will need amp.  Keep all that in mind.  Look for two battery system with perko shutoff.  All the usual stuff you would want. Trailer will need some work as Shawn pointed out.  Go get er.

craigslist ad has been deleted. it either sold or got caught as a scam....

I also have a Sunscape and agree that it is a good starting point for upgrades.  I prefer it over the wakesetter because it doesnt have the annoying graphics and I can build the ballast system as I want.  And the much lower price point.   I'm not into the big stereo, but my tower was one-wired for speakers.  

coincidentally, I'm adding GatorStep and an FAE this weekend.  

1 hour ago, kylesullens said:

craigslist ad has been deleted. it either sold or got caught as a scam....

The number linked back to Moses Watersports.  Interestingly, no such boat there.  IIRC, there was a very similar looking boat a member of the forum posted as a new purchase a while ago.  Coincidence?  I think not!

Kyle post pics of the gatorstep results.  Would love to see.  FYI, I only have 2 tower speakers.  Sometimes silence is golden.  I have added my ballast in rear lockers, new prop, and bow weight and it seems to do pretty great.  Wedge down for me as no power wedge.  Next year I will add the auto fill and dump, but right now using a sumo pump.  One thing at a time.  I also upgraded perfect pass to GPS this year and it works awesome.  Trying to avoid paying 100K for a newer boat...  I get a pretty good wave now for surfing.

The boat had sold by the time that I drove to the dealership.....:(  It was still there, so I got a chance to look it over. Unless there were issues with the engine or tranny, it was a great boat at that price. The tan exterior was bland, but I would have wrapped it anyway. Thanks for looking. Only lasted at the dealership a whopping THREE days..:)

19 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

The number linked back to Moses Watersports.  Interestingly, no such boat there.  IIRC, there was a very similar looking boat a member of the forum posted as a new purchase a while ago.  Coincidence?  I think not!

I wasn't able to demo it considering that it was sold. Externally, it was in great shape. That said, there may have been something driving that low price other than the dealer wanting to move it. Simply don't know.

Shiftman - I beat you to it...bought the boat on Friday!  It's my first boat, but it seemed like a can't miss at that price.  It needs a little TLC but I think it'll do everything we need for young kids.  Excited to get on the water with it!

Came here looking for more information and found your thread.

Edited by TNBoater
spelling
14 hours ago, TNBoater said:

Shiftman - I beat you to it...bought the boat on Friday!  It's my first boat, but it seemed like a can't miss at that price.  It needs a little TLC but I think it'll do everything we need for young kids.  Excited to get on the water with it!

Came here looking for more information and found your thread.

I live north of Moses, so I drive by there every day. I saw that boat there only a couple days. Glad it went to a member of the Crew! They also recently had an orange and black vlx and a white/blue 23xti. 

Hit me up if you need help with anything to do with the boat. I like meeting fellow Malibu owners!