Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020A24 vs 2019 A24

I was wondering what people’s thoughts are as far as comparison? I’m looking at a new 19 with 450 and high altitude prop vs ordering a new 2020 with m6 motor. Power and fuel mileage I think should be close. Anyone have any seat time behind both motors in a Malibu? I will probably save 5-10k going with a 19. Are the trans ratio and prop size the same? I currently own a 16 lsv 25 with raptor 450. 

Edited by delphigto

I have a 2020 A24 on order and is scheduled to arrive in the next 10 days.  I will provide some of my initial thoughts and pictures once we get it un-wrapped.  Don't know if that helps you with your comparison but may help with seeing how the 2020 looks and initial feel.  I am currently surfing and wake boarding behind a 2018 A20.  

11 hours ago, theMox said:

I have a 2020 A24 on order and is scheduled to arrive in the next 10 days.  I will provide some of my initial thoughts and pictures once we get it un-wrapped.  Don't know if that helps you with your comparison but may help with seeing how the 2020 looks and initial feel.  I am currently surfing and wake boarding behind a 2018 A20.  

Sounds good thanks. If you don’t mind me asking what did you have to give for your 24? 

Edited by delphigto

Will the 2020 have the same prop? Looking at the true engine ratings on the CARB site, here are your differences (https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad/cert/eo/2019/sime/u-w-034-0005.pdf):

2019 w/ the 450: 374hp and 351 ft. lbs. torque

2020 w/ the M6: 388hp and 446 ft. lbs torque

I believe the transmissions are the same but I'm not positive. So, you are gaining quite a bit of torque and a bit of HP by going to the 2020. Not sure it's worth $5-10k. Maybe 5k but 10k is a lot more. I have a 2019 A22 with the 409 and it's PLENTY with full plug n play and big group. CARB for my engine is 363hp/341 torque. Good luck with the decision. 

On 8/15/2019 at 5:27 PM, delphigto said:

I was wondering what people’s thoughts are as far as comparison? I’m looking at a new 19 with 450 and high altitude prop vs ordering a new 2020 with m6 motor. Power and fuel mileage I think should be close. Anyone have any seat time behind both motors in a Malibu? I will probably save 5-10k going with a 19. Are the trans ratio and prop size the same? I currently own a 16 lsv 25 with raptor 450. 

Your 16 25LSV has a 1:75 transmission and spinning a 15.5 inch prop. For $5,000 I would go a year newer all day long. Both A24’s will have 2:1 and spin 17inch props. It’s a huge difference. I came from 16 25LSV with the supercharged motor to a 19 25LSV M6DI and 2:1 with 17 inch prop. The 19 is hands down better for hole shot and surfing when compared to my 16. 

• Like 2

I have a 2019 a24 with the base 410 motor. I used it 16 engine hours last weekend surfing and wake boarding only. With 8 people on the boat and full factory ballast plus PNP ballast full the boat would plane off wakeboarding extremely fast and effortlessly. The 2:1 transmission and the 17” prop made a huge difference. I traded in my 2015 axis t23 with 1:1.76 transmission and a 15” prop with the base 350. The difference in power and performance is night and day. 

There is no way I would pay more for the 450 vs the 410 as you only get roughly 11hp and torque for like 5k 😂😂😂

I have heard the DI motors are much more fuel efficient but it take a lot of fuel to make up 10k 

Also I just picked up my A24 as a leftover demo and I got a insane price (less than every 2018 used on only inboards). So u will be able to get a great deal. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, bjw444 said:

There is no way I would pay more for the 450 vs the 410 as you only get roughly 11hp and torque for like 5k 😂😂😂

Numbers alone could be deceiving as they are usually peak.  If it makes peak torque closer to ideal rpm and at a flatter curve it will make a big difference.  Not sure that is the case here as I do not have experience with the 410 vs the 450 but have seen it a lot in other engines.  I feel if it was my decision 5k go with 2020, 7k go 2019.  I would jump on the deal bjw444 got if I was in the market right now, always happy for others when they get a good deal.

Wakesonthesnake is right on. The peak torque of the both 409 and 450 is at 5600rpm. The peak torque of the M6 is at 3765rpm. You're going to spend a lot more time doing the things we do with these boats near 3765 than you ever will near 5600, so that's huge. I'd be very tempted to spend an extra 5k for quite a bit more power, more fuel efficiency and a gas shock-assisted tower. Not sure I'd go over 5k, though. My only hesitation would be spending a lot more for something something with a newly designed (or 1-2 year old) powerplant, like the M5 and M6's are, especially when the 409/450's have such a solid track record. But these new Malibu engines seem like they are going to be great and year 1 seems to have gone been pretty well in the '19 Malibu's, right?

That being said, we decided to save the money and went with the '19 A22 with the 409 vs waiting until 2020, spending roughly 7k more and having the M5 (344hp/374ft lbs). Wasn't worth it for us. The power numbers are much different, though, between the M6 and 450. 409/M5 are pretty close. 

Ours came with the 1.72:1 and ACME 2249 (15x14.25) and we even switched to the 2279 (15x15.75) because the 2249 wasn't necessary at sea level. 2279 does just fine with 3000lbs of ballast for surfing and we only run about 1100 when we wakeboard. With 5-7ppl in the boat. If we go to altitude or go on a trip where we'll have a huge crowd in the boat, we'll put on the 2249.

you dont really nee the m6di in the A24. All the pros i ride with have the 409 in the A24, with lift mode and 2:1 and 17" prop they get on plane (wake) with no issues from the 409.

On 8/17/2019 at 9:13 PM, formerathlete said:

Wakesonthesnake is right on. The peak torque of the both 409 and 450 is at 5600rpm. The peak torque of the M6 is at 3765rpm. You're going to spend a lot more time doing the things we do with these boats near 3765 than you ever will near 5600, so that's huge. I'd be very tempted to spend an extra 5k for quite a bit more power, more fuel efficiency and a gas shock-assisted tower. Not sure I'd go over 5k, though. My only hesitation would be spending a lot more for something something with a newly designed (or 1-2 year old) powerplant, like the M5 and M6's are, especially when the 409/450's have such a solid track record. But these new Malibu engines seem like they are going to be great and year 1 seems to have gone been pretty well in the '19 Malibu's, right?

The power plant isnt new. its the GM 5.3 and 6.2 block. tried and tested. the marinizing part is whats new but .... im not to concerned on that. 

On 8/17/2019 at 12:08 AM, formerathlete said:

Will the 2020 have the same prop? Looking at the true engine ratings on the CARB site, here are your differences (https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad/cert/eo/2019/sime/u-w-034-0005.pdf):

2019 w/ the 450: 374hp and 351 ft. lbs. torque

2020 w/ the M6: 388hp and 446 ft. lbs torque

I believe the transmissions are the same but I'm not positive. So, you are gaining quite a bit of torque and a bit of HP by going to the 2020. Not sure it's worth $5-10k. Maybe 5k but 10k is a lot more. I have a 2019 A22 with the 409 and it's PLENTY with full plug n play and big group. CARB for my engine is 363hp/341 torque. Good luck with the decision. 

Great data - the Torque figures - wow that is a bump.  Interesting the 409 and 450 are not all that different though.  I've been pretty happy with my A24 fully loaded/ballast with the 17."  Have not felt the need for more power, that said, always tempting!

On 8/16/2019 at 8:20 PM, delphigto said:

Sounds good thanks. If you don’t mind me asking what did you have to give for your 24? 

We optioned it out quite a bit: MSRP is $118,906 before dealer and Malibu incentives.  Had some issues with our A20 which lead to some cash back for buying the bigger boat.  Options below:

Gel Base (Graphite) 
Gel Accent (Azure Blue Metallic) 
Malibu Monsoon M6Di 
Exhaust - Surf Pipe 
Docking Lights 
Underwater Lighting 
Underseat Lighting - 
Stereo Option - Pack 2 $
Subwoofer - ONE 10 Inch Subwoofer (w/Amp) 
Rack - Spinner Board Racks
Speakers - Wet Sounds Icon 8 (1 set) Black 
Plug N Play Ballast Plumbing - HI FLO w/Auto Vent 
Surf Gate w/Axis Surfband 
Wedge - Power Wedge III 
Chillax Cockpit Flip Up Seats 
Deck Trac - Nonskid (Complete Deck Kit) 
Depth Finder 
Mobile Phone Holder 
Seat Bolster - Flip Up (Drivers) 
Zero Off GPS Cruise and Compass 
Soft-Grip Flooring 
Ski Pylon 
Dual Battery Switch (Cable and Boxes Included) 
Dual Batteries - 500 CCA & 800 CCA 
Pull Up Cleats - Three Pair 
CS Boat Cover w/Taps 2 and Swimboard Cover 
CS Bimini Top and Boot - w/Rope Storage and Surf Board Storage 
Saltwater Package $3,732.00
Includes: Cup Holders - Stainless, Driver Seat Swivel and Slide, Flush Kit - Transom Install,
Grounded Bonded Sacrificial Anodes, Hydraulic Steering

• Like 1

I have an '19 A24 with the 450 up in Utah. My friend has the 410 he feels it with a full boat surfing or wakeboarding. I've also switch to an 18" prop. 

I can't speak to 20 but hit me with any questions!

• Like 1

My dealer said the new m6di is what he would highly recommend for the A24. Said testing in TN this year with the m5di just wasn’t enough, even though Malibu said it was. He’s talked me out of other upgrades so I don’t think it’s just sales tactics but YMMV. 

2 minutes ago, Raleigh said:

My dealer said the new m6di is what he would highly recommend for the A24. Said testing in TN this year with the m5di just wasn’t enough, even though Malibu said it was. He’s talked me out of other upgrades so I don’t think it’s just sales tactics but YMMV. 

My 23 LSV has the M5di and it weighs more than the A24.  If you a wakeboarder who runs full advance profile, w/ 12 people in the boat and lead .. sure.  They make several thousand on this particular upgrade so they are always going to say that.  If you are surfing .. the M6 is definitely not needed.  I'm not up to date on my Axis knowledge .. is the A24 a 17" prop?  If so, I wouldn't do it.  Its not about horsepower and torque as much as it is "traction".  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2019 at 6:38 AM, theMox said:

We optioned it out quite a bit: MSRP is $118,906 before dealer and Malibu incentives.  Had some issues with our A20 which lead to some cash back for buying the bigger boat.  Options below:

Gel Base (Graphite) 
Gel Accent (Azure Blue Metallic) 
Malibu Monsoon M6Di 
Exhaust - Surf Pipe 
Docking Lights 
Underwater Lighting 
Underseat Lighting - 
Stereo Option - Pack 2 $
Subwoofer - ONE 10 Inch Subwoofer (w/Amp) 
Speakers - Wet Sounds Icon 8 (1 set) Black 
Plug N Play Ballast Plumbing - HI FLO w/Auto Vent 
Surf Gate w/Axis Surfband 
Wedge - Power Wedge III 
Chillax Cockpit Flip Up Seats 
Deck Trac - Nonskid (Complete Deck Kit) 
Depth Finder 
Mobile Phone Holder 
Seat Bolster - Flip Up (Drivers) 
Zero Off GPS Cruise and Compass 
Soft-Grip Flooring 
Ski Pylon 
Dual Battery Switch (Cable and Boxes Included) 
Dual Batteries - 500 CCA & 800 CCA 
Pull Up Cleats - Three Pair 
CS Boat Cover w/Taps 2 and Swimboard Cover 
CS Bimini Top and Boot - w/Rope Storage and Surf Board Storage 
Saltwater Package $3,732.00
Includes: Cup Holders - Stainless, Driver Seat Swivel and Slide, Flush Kit - Transom Install,
Grounded Bonded Sacrificial Anodes, Hydraulic Steering

Would you mind sharing total price after incentives?

Edited by Raleigh
On 8/29/2019 at 11:24 AM, pauley71 said:

My 23 LSV has the M5di and it weighs more than the A24.  If you a wakeboarder who runs full advance profile, w/ 12 people in the boat and lead .. sure.  They make several thousand on this particular upgrade so they are always going to say that.  If you are surfing .. the M6 is definitely not needed.  I'm not up to date on my Axis knowledge .. is the A24 a 17" prop?  If so, I wouldn't do it.  Its not about horsepower and torque as much as it is "traction".  

The A24 weighs 200 pounds more than the 23 LSV. So that’s 11 people not 12 :biggrin:

I’m gonna run 500-800 lbs of lead and consistently 8 people on the boat but want to be able to run more. It might make a difference... 

Edited by Raleigh
On 8/16/2019 at 8:29 AM, theMox said:

you get the new boat yet? curious how the M6di will perform for you. 

On 8/17/2019 at 9:13 AM, bjw444 said:

I have a 2019 a24 with the base 410 motor. I used it 16 engine hours last weekend surfing and wake boarding only. With 8 people on the boat and full factory ballast plus PNP ballast full the boat would plane off wakeboarding extremely fast and effortlessly. The 2:1 transmission and the 17” prop made a huge difference. I traded in my 2015 axis t23 with 1:1.76 transmission and a 15” prop with the base 350. The difference in power and performance is night and day. 

I have heard the DI motors are much more fuel efficient but it take a lot of fuel to make up 10k 

Also I just picked up my A24 as a leftover demo and I got a insane price (less than every 2018 used on only inboards). So u will be able to get a great deal. 

hey  quick question. on that 16 hours of use how many times did you have to fill the boat up? limiting trips to the gas pump ( not amount of gas used) is one of priorities for my next boat. and it sounds like the 19 or 20 a24 will be the ticket.