Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Possible to get 2019 VLX 21 in 7’ Garage????

Jnash214

5 minutes ago, onwi said:

If the VLX doesn't, an Axis would get you under that 7' door.

Which models?  I'm curious... I struggle with my 8' door.  It would be nice to not have to worry about hitting the top of my garage.

Edited by hunter77ah
Fixed quote

can you raise the header?  I had this problem with my 08 VLX with Titan III tower and had to remove the tower everytime for the first year.  Finally moved the header up 12" and added a panel to my garage door and I'm good to go.  Also how deep is your garage, are you going to have depth problems?  I have to remove the swimdeck every time since I'm in a 22' length garage but I have it all down to a science now especially since I raised the header.

1 minute ago, hunter77ah said:

Which models?  I'm curious... I struggle with my 8' door.  It would be nice to not have to worry about hitting the top of my garage.

OP is looking for the 2019 VLX.  

Just now, hunter77ah said:

Sorry, the quote didn't work right... I meant to ask you which Axis models would work.

My understanding is all prior to 2020.  I haven't seen what the overhead clearance will be with the new assisted tower.

3 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

Sorry, the quote didn't work right... I meant to ask you which Axis models would work.

This reflects 2017? I believe.  Obviously you'd be fine with an 8' door.

668195282_BOATLENGTHS.png.a1a5524fde988b69d865bc25369fb6f4.png

11 hours ago, Jnash214 said:

I’m about to pull the trigger on a 21 VLX and wondering if anyone has a clever way to make the impossible, possible?

I'm curious as well. Gotta be a way. You can lower the trailer by adjusting the torsion axles, then pull the tower hoop off which is what has the tow swivel on it. This is 4 bolts only. That should get you close, then maybe get a lower profile tire if needed and perhaps an adjustable drop hitch. I'm thinking that will be my next boat so that will be my same predicament. Appreciate if you let me know what you came up with.

There is a garage hoop for the G3 tower that cuts a foot or so off of the folded height.  Not sure if it's a thing for the 3.5 but you could ask your dealer.  Here is an old thread on the topic with some pictures:

4 hours ago, onwi said:

How long would it take the fully remove the G3.5?  That sounds like quite the project!

Lol way too long, I have the Titan III tower. 4 bolts and a wire harness are what I need to take out to remove the tower off the boat. The only way to adjust the height of my garage doors would be to  remove the roof, re-stud the entire garage to make them higher and reinstall the entire roof which probably means all new trusses, along with new garage doors. It's not worth it at this point in my life. It's good to know that I could fit an A20 in my garage with the tower folded down.

If you are doing a custom order, Malibu can modify the trailer as they build it. Our 16' 22VLX had to be low enough to fit into our garage and we discussed this with our sales person. He made several calls to the factory with the measurements and they turned it over to the trailer team and came up with a plan. Of course there was a cost for the modifications, but I have already saved more than that cost by not having to pay for storage, and my VLX is safe at home in my garage .

36 minutes ago, Robcam67 said:

If you are doing a custom order, Malibu can modify the trailer as they build it. Our 16' 22VLX had to be low enough to fit into our garage and we discussed this with our sales person. He made several calls to the factory with the measurements and they turned it over to the trailer team and came up with a plan. Of course there was a cost for the modifications, but I have already saved more than that cost by not having to pay for storage, and my VLX is safe at home in my garage .

How low were they able to get your VLX?

I went out and measured our door opening and it is 84 1/2 " with the weather stripping removed .

Its still a tight fit, but nothing that we have to watch while backing it in .

On 10/4/2017 at 7:35 PM, phinz said:

I have a 7' header on my garage door and I can get my 2017 21 VLX under it. You need to remove the tow hoop, remove the board racks, remove the front tires and deflate the back tires to less then 20lbs. With a floor jack and impact gun it is pretty easy to do and it is a lot better then dropping $300 per month on indoor storage during the off season.

Removing the tow hoop is easy but you need to learn how to slide it in and out without it binding up. Removing the board racks is a simple set screw. The tires get removed to load up the weight on the rear axle so you don't need to change any suspension. It also makes it easier maneuvering the trailer into its spot. Then the rest is just deflating the remaining tires. To make that easy Amazon sells tire deflater used by the off road folks.

• 1 month later...

Sorry I am resurrecting this thread, but I wanted to ask, what is the height after taking the racks off?  My sense is that part of the bimini is the highest point with the racks off.  I am wondering whether the 2019 21 VLX would fit through an 8 foot garage door opening.  I am getting conflicting information from Malibu.  Thank you.

3 hours ago, WK0622 said:

Sorry I am resurrecting this thread, but I wanted to ask, what is the height after taking the racks off?  My sense is that part of the bimini is the highest point with the racks off.  I am wondering whether the 2019 21 VLX would fit through an 8 foot garage door opening.  I am getting conflicting information from Malibu.  Thank you.

You should be fine.  I have a 18' 22VLX and an 8' door.  I have to remove board racks (two allen screws) and the tower tow point (where you attach rope to tower) and I clear by 1/4".  The 21VLX is a few inches shorter so you may not have to remove tow point.

• 2 weeks later...

I just fit my 2013 LSV in my 6’11’’ garage. Tower folded down and tow bar removed.  I removed the 2X6 header that runs the length of my garage.  I took the rims and tires off and put small steel rims (no tires) on and then set the rims on dollies.  Fits just fine. Its a lot of work, but I only do it once a year and saves me 200 a month on storage fees. 

Edited by dwc032
  • 1 month later...

ITS POSSIBLE!!!  Whole lot of work, but it is possible.  Mine is a 2019 With 14” wheels and to the top of the tow hoop with racks removed is 90”.

Remove the tow hoop and your next highest point is 88”.

Now the fun begins.  Before I get into this I wouldn’t recommend doing this every weekend but it would be ok for winter storage.

So with the tow hoop removed, I then took the wheels off the front axel (left t wheels on the rear axel)  Then I dropped the trailer tounge down as low as I physically could and that got it to literally 83.5”!  And I didn’t have to let any air out of tires.  The whole process took me maybe 30 minutes (I move pretty fast).  

Again I won’t be doing this every weekend but will be doing it for the winter. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 6:54 PM, Jnash214 said:

ITS POSSIBLE!!!  Whole lot of work, but it is possible.  Mine is a 2019 With 14” wheels and to the top of the tow hoop with racks removed is 90”.

Remove the tow hoop and your next highest point is 88”.

Now the fun begins.  Before I get into this I wouldn’t recommend doing this every weekend but it would be ok for winter storage.

So with the tow hoop removed, I then took the wheels off the front axel (left t wheels on the rear axel)  Then I dropped the trailer tounge down as low as I physically could and that got it to literally 83.5”!  And I didn’t have to let any air out of tires.  The whole process took me maybe 30 minutes (I move pretty fast).  

Again I won’t be doing this every weekend but will be doing it for the winter. 

You might try lowering the trailer torsion axles. They adjust, then you might be able to leave the tires on. Just make sure you leave enough clearance for the tires not to rub fenders which can also be raised a bit.