Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Location for check valve installation

MNNewb

Will be installing check valves on the fill lines for my rear tanks this weekend.  What I'm not sure is the best place.  Should they be close to the pumps or is it better to be close to the wye that splits between the hard tank and PnP?  Have a passive draining issue to solve.

Doesn’t the passive draining happen through vent and drain lines?  For both Malibu snd Axis over the side through vent line ?

Im stupid and since I list snd only fill surf side sac,  I use two hinge plugs on outside of boat ,  lame snd a bit ugly I know but it works ( just like the Kinetic vents  for top of sac vent work and cheap )

doesn’t seem to work for bow sac, pressure of bow rise snd 950 mushroom sac ( design of that era sac pushes a lot of pressure on attachments on the stem of mushroom  shape with all that weight above it and filling the stem ) seems to just push it out of my very high duck bill under dash , we refill it a lot  when surfer is down 

Edited by granddaddy55

I have one way check valves at the fill point of the rear sacs and ball valves inline on the drain hose of the sacs. They are the 1100 FatSacs and after about 3/4 full they start to leak thru the drain pump. So I close the ball valve if we want to go full on ballast. Leave the ball valve open if we have full crew and 3/4 is good enough.

Edited by Brad B
correction

On 8/20/2019 at 8:16 AM, granddaddy55 said:

Doesn’t the passive draining happen through vent and drain lines?  For both Malibu snd Axis over the side through vent line ?

Im stupid and since I list snd only fill surf side sac,  I use two hinge plugs on outside of boat ,  lame snd a bit ugly I know but it works ( just like the Kinetic vents  for top of sac vent work and cheap )

doesn’t seem to work for bow sac, pressure of bow rise snd 950 mushroom sac ( design of that era sac pushes a lot of pressure on attachments on the stem of mushroom  shape with all that weight above it and filling the stem ) seems to just push it out of my very high duck bill under dash , we refill it a lot  when surfer is down 

Vent, drain, and fill were the possibilities. In my case I confirmed the issue was on the fill side only.  Installed the check valves on friday and saturday was all good.  Everything stays full and no more manually flipping valves.  

One note, I didn't take Brad B's advice perfectly and not sure if this will create an issue for me this winter.  I had ordered 1 valve per side with the intention of placing them between the pump and the wye that splits the hard tank and PNP sac fill lines.  Had I posted first and ordered second I might have ordered 2 per side and placed them on the individual lines for the hard tank and sac. 

Here's where I might have made a mistake.  there is about 5 inches of hose that runs vertically above the check valves which will keep some water in there.  What I don't know is if that will ultimately drain down past the valve over time or if the winterization procedure will blow that out.  It's possible I could form ice and break the check valves this winter.