Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Long Tow Checklist

Dock4

Preparing for the dreaded end of season tow home from our Lake House.  We recently took delivery of our new LSV at our Lake House, so this will be the first time towing her home.  The trip is about 6 hours.  Looking for suggestions on what which supplies to have (jack, impact gun, etc.), and what other trailer prep I should be doing.

Also, my trailer didn't come with a spare.  So I'll need to get one...what's the best source for that?  Pic of trailer attached.  

IMG_0727.jpg

ahopkins22LSV

Make sure your trailer and tow rig tires are properly inflated and not visible signs of damage. Check that the trailer wheel lug nuts are at the correct torque.  Check your tie downs for damage too. 

Check your axle oil and or hub grease levels. Check surge brake oil level. Check to make sure your boat is also sitting level and even on the bunks. Grease your hitch ball and coupler lightly. Double check ballasts are empty and the drain plug is removed. I heard its illegal to tow with it in within certain states but thats here say. 

Looks like a newer boat, but still not a bad idea to check the date code on the tires. I replace at 5 years regardless of wear. New tires are cheaper than the fender damage a tread separation does. 

And yes there are many states that require all drain plugs be pulled when towing. 

Personally I tow thousands of miles a year and always have the cover on. Make sure it is tight if you go that way. If cover off, close windshield and use the plexiglass to close the area below it. I’d also take out any loose seat cushions or carpet. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, INCOPPNITO said:

Might go without saying, but none in the pic... https://www.bakesonline.com/boatbuckle-kwik-lok-2-trailer-tie-down-straps-4ft-pair.html 

Or maybe there is some new fancy system I don't know about. I'm back in the stone age with my '03

There should be spring loaded tie straps on the back that hook to the swim platform bracket.

2 hours ago, RyanB said:

Looks like a newer boat, but still not a bad idea to check the date code on the tires. I replace at 5 years regardless of wear. New tires are cheaper than the fender damage a tread separation does. 

Yes, 2019.  Took delivery from the dealer a month ago.

2 hours ago, Stevo said:

There should be spring loaded tie straps on the back that hook to the swim platform bracket.

I'm assuming this is the proper way to do it.

IMG_0731.jpg

• Like 1

Bow safety chain, strap or cable. Our lame, Malibu supplied, Fulton XLT winch is not up to any task and will ultimately fail. I use a short length of chain inside of a rubber boot with 2 threaded gate "C" clips.

Be careful going down long steep grades. Surge brakes are a PIA and often engage or stay engaged when not needed. I’ve converted all my boat trailers over the years to electric brakes or electric over hydraulic to avoid potential issues. I had a minor fire years ago due to surge brakes not disengaging, it was a mess. 

On 8/15/2019 at 7:29 AM, INCOPPNITO said:

Might go without saying, but none in the pic... https://www.bakesonline.com/boatbuckle-kwik-lok-2-trailer-tie-down-straps-4ft-pair.html 

Or maybe there is some new fancy system I don't know about. I'm back in the stone age with my '03

Strapped down✔️

I have a buddy that tows only with the winch strap. He says  “It weighs X,000 pounds, not going anywhere.”  Lol, a 737 weighs close to 200,000 pounds and doesn’t usually have a problem lifting off. 

Edited by Bozboat
  • 4 months later...

As the trailer ages making sure the hubs have proper grease level / are adequately serviced is key.  Also that tires are properly inflated on the trailer.  Might be an issue with the tow vehicle also if you generally inflate those tires below the recommended amount for maximum weight.

I also have a temperature gun that I use to check the hub temperature each time I stop on long trips as I do a trip each summer that is around 1,000 miles each way.

I tow with the cover on and do two layers of plastic wrap around the rub rail to protect the gel coat.  I get the 18” movers wrap at Home Depot or Uhaul or Amazon.  I have a custom cover for my tower so don’t need to wrap that but do pull the board racks off and use Speaker Sox to cover the tower speakers.

I do have a spare.  My trailer did not have a spare new and I had one added that mounts under the boat.

Make sure all safety chains are on properly.

Make sure nothing inside the boat is going to rub against seat cushions or gel coat.  I wrap the board racks in a towel and put them in one of the rear compartments.  Usually just put the boards on the floor of the boat with some life jackets around them to protect them.  I don’t worry about them at night but also don’t have really expensive boards and understand there is a risk someone could take them if I stop for the night somewhere.