Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 23LSV Wakeboard Set Up

ajive

I rarely see how to ballast for wakeboarding lately.  So I'm going with a fresh post, sorry if the topic is already worn out.

I have a new guy who is pretty advanced throwing backflips and all that.  I've never been good or had any legit boarders around so I want to be able to give him all I got.

The first time I pulled him I just sacked it out (full with 570 PnP and 300 or so in the bow), set the wedge at two from ramp, 24MPH and gave it a go.

Looked pretty good but no idea if it was the best I can do.  There was also a fair amount of rooster tail out to 50' or so that didn't look right.

So what should I be doing to get it dialed in for him?

If your buddy is a good rider, he will tell you what you need to do. 24 mph seems pretty fast, even for an advanced rider. Unless he riding at 80’, at which a rooster tail at 50’ is insignificant. 

He knows his stuff at the end of a rope, but isn't up to date on modern boats.  Equivalent to someone coming from a listed 2005 centurion and giving me tips of getting the best surf wave out of my 2018 surf gate.  FWIW, his feedback was that it was good, but I have some expectation that with all the hull changes and tech advancement over the years that I should be able to get to great with a bit of fiddling.

My rope is 65', so maybe that is short.  He was landing way out in the flats.  Could be a problem.  But I still would like to know what folks with dialed in wakes are up to.

I have the same boat at you.  Here is how I run mine....

Speed: 22.2

Ballast: Rear 75% front and belly 100%.  I have 550s in the rear.

rope: 70ft. Some riders like 75 and 23mph

Wedge: 2-3 clicks from ramp. 

This gives me a pretty legit wake.  Rampy, long transition, and a nice lip.