Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help us Understand differences in new models

asnowman

Long post, maybe redundant, but here goes, Thanks in advance.

We have been looking at a lot of boats lately, all new..er.... and the budget has crept up badly as well, from 75 to ????? yeah that bad.

We started looking for a 23 LSV, we are a family of 6, oldest kid is in college, youngest is 12.  We need more space than in out VTX, and have been surfing as of late.  Prior to our VTX, we had a 02 23 LSV.  

We found some nice 18 and 19 23 LSV's,  seen here 

Then, we had a rather rough day on the lake (had to abort anything fun) due to the wind picking up swiftly, rather than a quick run over to a restaurant, we slogged for an hour to get home after deciding the weather might be too much. So my wonderful wife said, that's it, lets just get the 25. After squealing with joy on the inside, i agreed, and we started looking.  So now we need to know the big differences between the recent years.  We are only looking at 2017 and newer 23's and 25's, though we did take a 24 MXZ out yesterday.  So I haven't followed the recent changes well, and don't want to get lost the weeds, but need help with the big changes that happened in the last few years, like how the engine angle was changed for 2017 in the 25 to accommodate a bigger prop.  So here are the short list i can come up with now:

I know the interior changed significantly, I miss the soft rounded corners, but like the new driver's chair for 2019. What else?

Engine changes a plenty, but all seem solid currently, what is most important?

Hull changes?

surf gate actuators, when did they go hydraulic, and is everyone seeing a lot of corrosion if you leave it in the lake (we do leave in the lake now, but plan on a new lift for whatever we get), we looked at a 25LSV yesterday adn were astounded by the level of corrosion evident on a 2019.

Biggest Question: My 13 yo son said the wave behind our VTX had way more push than the 24 MXZ we were on yesterday, especially further back, which makes me wonder how much extra ballast we need in a new one?

As a reference we run all 4 stock tanks full, 400's in rear lockers and an 800 in the walkway with a Nauticurl on our 2011 VTX, and it works pretty good, but my wife is all set with walkway bags, pumps over the side, and suck gates.

So please what are the biggest,most important changes in the 23 and 25 since 2017?

5 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

About 35% increase in price.

That's ok, we already blew the budget to smithereens. We keep going with the "ehh its only a couple thousand more" theme...

2 hours ago, asnowman said:

Biggest Question: My 13 yo son said the wave behind our VTX had way more push than the 24 MXZ we were on yesterday, especially further back, which makes me wonder how much extra ballast we need in a new one?

I find this hard to believe, I have the 550 PNP bags and trust me there is no issue with push!

11 minutes ago, asnowman said:

That's ok, we already blew the budget to smithereens. We keep going with the "ehh its only a couple thousand more" theme...

I am betting there is little significant change in the wake, which IMHO is the only thing that matters.  Just go to your dealer and bug the  heck out of them until you are happy.

2019 - “All new” 25LSV.  New hull, cooler storage spot, captains chair, new vinyl, etc etc but you said you are familiar with the interior changes.  Faster actuators I think started in 15 or 16 so you are good there on 2017 and up.  PW3 was a change for 2019 and of course the M6, which is awesome.  Fresh air exhaust, although marked as an option on the build sheet, was included  in 2019.  Flip down swim step became an option. Gx power tower became an option. New PTM clamping rack design that holds thicker boards.  

For the 23 LSV:

2018 - New hull and topdeck design, wake view bench option, redesigned stock ballast tanks (L-shaped rears and increase in total ballast)

2019 - Changed to GM based engines (PCM's for first 5-6 months of production, then the M5DI/M6DI engines for rest of 2019 production. PW3, surfpipe changes, wireless phone charging, new captain's seat, Gx tower and new PTM racks are the same changes for both the 23 and 25.

2020 - Transmission is changing to be 2:1 with 17" prop, with M5 as the base engine.

2 hours ago, Chappy said:

I find this hard to believe, I have the 550 PNP bags and trust me there is no issue with push!

This is what i was expecting, so it must have been how they had it set up.

2 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I am betting there is little significant change in the wake, which IMHO is the only thing that matters.  Just go to your dealer and bug the  heck out of them until you are happy.

Dealer is bringing multiple boats to us this coming week/weekend. (Owner is also spending a week on a neighboring lake). 

• Like 2

gotta love budget creep! I remember when I was shopping 2 years ago and thought 75k should get it done. A new 23 lsv later... my wife got invited out on a new 25 lsv by our dealer last week. The good news is now she wants one, that’s also the bad news😂

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone, and all the crazy detailed info on the bucrew. Ya'll are so much more informed than the average dealer personnel. 

So just as an update, we ran a 24 MXZ a little over a week ago, then last sunday a 2019 23 LSV, then a 2020 23 MXZ, then a 2019 25 LSV..... today we bought a boat.

Since starting to chirp in 2016 about the 25,  the CFO funally saw one in action this weekend.....

More to follow soon, but lets just say i need a bigger dock and boat lift in the near future. @Pnwrider talk about budget creep! 

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, asnowman said:

Thanks to everyone, and all the crazy detailed info on the bucrew. Ya'll are so much more informed than the average dealer personnel. 

So just as an update, we ran a 24 MXZ a little over a week ago, then last sunday a 2019 23 LSV, then a 2020 23 MXZ, then a 2019 25 LSV..... today we bought a boat.

Since starting to chirp in 2016 about the 25,  the CFO funally saw one in action this weekend.....

More to follow soon, but lets just say i need a bigger dock and boat lift in the near future. @Pnwrider talk about budget creep! 

Very nice!

You probably saw this in other 2019 25 LSV threads but don't forget the 400 lbs or so of lead to stash on the port side. It will even out the boat when under power from the prop torque, which otherwise makes it lean to the starboard side. After that it's pretty much dialed with the PNP.