Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is this ok to do? Watch video, fake lake

So I watched this video of this guy performing maint on his boat. Here you see him take the hose off of the intake side of the varicella and put his own hose on with a garden hose attached.  What do you guys think of this.....will this have air run through the block and cavitate and cause the exhaust  to run hot. 

See link

as long as you have enough water going in it's fine.  You will probably find that at idle your raw water pump can't suck all your garden hose can give, so it can be useful to have a ball valve on the garden hose to get the fresh water flow right.

^^^ before going to a dedicated flush system I did it just like the guy in the video.

Now sticking that plastic oil drain hose down the dipstick hole is definitely a big no-no, but the water thing is fine.

This may be a stupid question,  but if you don't stick the oil extractor down the do stick tube, hole do you get the oil out?  I have a centurion with a 350 and have been putting the plastic tube down the dip stick tube. 

I think most boats have a drain tube connected to the oil pan. People do not like to put extractor down the dipstick tube for fear of the extractor hose breaking and having to drop the oil pan to retrieve it and get it out. 

It’s easy to find a fitting to attach extractor to drain tube. I think most use a air hose adapter with barb on the extractor side. 

Some people put the drain tube thru hull drain plug and let the oil drain overnight. Oil needs to be warm to drain well. Good luck. 

7 minutes ago, MAXPOWERS1207 said:

This may be a stupid question,  but if you don't stick the oil extractor down the do stick tube, hole do you get the oil out?  I have a centurion with a 350 and have been putting the plastic tube down the dip stick tube. 

Well... I won't say this wrong but to answer your question. Malibu's have a tube attached to the oil pan. 

I let my hose drop through the thru hull on bottom of boat, remove cap at end and let drain into pan while I go do something else.. Others attach a evacuator to the hose and force suck oil out.

Not sure if this is your case or not. My sunbird I had to  suck out from tube.

I’ve removed engine hose and put garden hose in there before. A flush port is much nicer. While the hose was off I also drained block and ran anti freeze for winter storage. A big funnel and 5 gallons of pink stuff does a good job protecting the block. 

2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

PS boo this has to be the earliest winterization thread ever. 

We’ve already had the first two of the season dropped off and are getting calls for ASAP appointments. Sad. 

6 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

as long as you have enough water going in it's fine.  You will probably find that at idle your raw water pump can't suck all your garden hose can give, so it can be useful to have a ball valve on the garden hose to get the fresh water flow right.

^^^ before going to a dedicated flush system I did it just like the guy in the video.

Now sticking that plastic oil drain hose down the dipstick hole is definitely a big no-no, but the water thing is fine.

Why is sucking oil out of the dipstick a big no no?

7 hours ago, prwkbrder said:

Why is sucking oil out of the dipstick a big no no?

because that plastic tube can snag on the bottom of the dipstick where it enters the block and then you have a piece of plastic in the oil pan.  

see this thread for the worst case scenario:

Edited by shawndoggy