Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Member Just Bought a 92 Malibu Euro F3 and have a few ?'s

TheGrayt1

Hey crew! I am a proud new owner of a nice 92 Malibu F3 with the Merc 350 in it. the boat has 700 hours and has all service records from day 1. The upholstery was redone $2k about 2 years ago and is very nice. Clean body and hull that just needs a little bit of buffing to restore the luster of the color. Got a few questions for the experts.

1. Does this model boat have fiberglass floors in it? The previous owner said they were composite but not sure what that meant. Floors seem very solid to me except I did notice  a circular depression about halfway next tot he doghouse  and rail that is maybe the size of my fist. I would not call it soft spot but it seems to be depressed slightly. Was just curios if I should be worried about a rotting floor and if it will get bigger or worse.

2. We took the boat out and it ran great all day for the first time the other day. The only problem I noticed was a small crack in the side of the inline Perko flush pro plastic housing. It was letting water into the bottom of the motor slightly but I used the bilge every 30 mins or so for a minute or two to suck it all out. I was thinking about just ditching it altogether and putting a barbed 8" piece of high strength PVC pipe in its place to avoid having to buy a new hose from the intake to the sea water pump. Any thoughts?

3. i paid $5,200 for the boat and trailer. Does that seem like a good deal for a good running boat with new oil and trans fluid, and a brand new sea water pump impeller?

4. Are there any major weak spots with this model boat? I was a little concerned about the 700 hours but it has extensive service records so I pulled the trigger.

Thanks in advance and I will get some pics up later of it.

49 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

if that is truly 700 hours and not 700 after a rebuild, that is extremely low hours for a 92.  I have 620 on my 2008

Yep hours are legit at 702 and no rebuild.  This was a local Dallas boat its whole life in only freshwater.

92 has wood stringers & glass floor.  '91 both were wood.  93 Euro F3. 1993 was the first year malibu stopped using wood in both the stringers and floor '. 

Since you have all the maintenance history that should help.  You could have a soft spots in the floor that may mean you have wood stringer issues or some dropped something heavy that caused the indentation in the floor.  May be a non issue with the stringers.  

Edited by ORMailbuboater

Congrats and post some pics....as stated those hours are ridiculously low.  I have a low hour '06 and am just under 600 .  You have an average of 26 hours a year . Sounds like you have a nice , hardly used , only boated to church on Sunday's down hill both ways haha. Enjoy!

19 minutes ago, ORMailbuboater said:

92 has wood stringers & glass floor.  '91 both were wood.  93 Euro F3. 1993 was the first year malibu stopped using wood in both the stringers and floor '. 

Since you have all the maintenance history that should help.  You could have a soft spots in the floor that may mean you have wood stringer issues or some dropped something heavy that caused the indentation in the floor.  May be a non issue with the stringers.  

Yea it looks to me when I pull the carpet up under the drivers seat that the floors look fiberglass coated. The indention does not go in much but is just a  perfect circle almost. Not sure how a wood stringer would cause that shape indention but just want to make sure the boat is solid and I am not having to redo a floor right off the bat.

Welcome to the crew!! I have a 93 and love it. Done lots of work on it, if you have any questions feel free to reach out. Let’s see some pics!

Edited by Lanman
15 hours ago, TheGrayt1 said:

Yea it looks to me when I pull the carpet up under the drivers seat that the floors look fiberglass coated. The indention does not go in much but is just a  perfect circle almost. Not sure how a wood stringer would cause that shape indention but just want to make sure the boat is solid and I am not having to redo a floor right off the bat.

That is probably the hole they drilled to inject foam into the floor.  I think they still do it that way.

If it is not soft, just ignore it.  If it bothers you, pull the carpet and fill it with bondo or thickened resin.

If it is soft, you could ignore it or pull the carpet and open what could turn into a pretty big can of worms....

20 hours ago, TheGrayt1 said:

Hey crew! I am a proud new owner of a nice 92 Malibu F3 with the Merc 350 in it. the boat has 700 hours and has all service records from day 1. The upholstery was redone $2k about 2 years ago and is very nice. Clean body and hull that just needs a little bit of buffing to restore the luster of the color. Got a few questions for the experts.

PIcs....PICS!!

1. Does this model boat have fiberglass floors in it? The previous owner said they were composite but not sure what that meant. Floors seem very solid to me except I did notice  a circular depression about halfway next tot he doghouse  and rail that is maybe the size of my fist. I would not call it soft spot but it seems to be depressed slightly. Was just curios if I should be worried about a rotting floor and if it will get bigger or worse.

See what @justgarysaid above.  If you are concerned about the stringer integrity, try to snug up the lags that go into the stringers for the engine mounts.  If those are snug then you likely have nothing to worry about in the near future with rot, and just plan on a good way to keep the floor dry after each use (storing under a canopy, or in a covered area with a fan on it, engine lid up, etc.).

2. We took the boat out and it ran great all day for the first time the other day. The only problem I noticed was a small crack in the side of the inline Perko flush pro plastic housing. It was letting water into the bottom of the motor slightly but I used the bilge every 30 mins or so for a minute or two to suck it all out. I was thinking about just ditching it altogether and putting a barbed 8" piece of high strength PVC pipe in its place to avoid having to buy a new hose from the intake to the sea water pump. Any thoughts?

That would work, I had a Perko for years but it eventually cracked too.  I replaced mine with a PVC shut off, T for a hose fitting, and new hose.

3. i paid $5,200 for the boat and trailer. Does that seem like a good deal for a good running boat with new oil and trans fluid, and a brand new sea water pump impeller?

Yes, that's a good deal if it is all in good shape and runs well, anything under $7k for a good running inboard with a decent trailer is great.

4. Are there any major weak spots with this model boat? I was a little concerned about the 700 hours but it has extensive service records so I pulled the trigger.

Sorry, can't help here.

Thanks in advance and I will get some pics up later of it.

Edited by Michigan boarder

Thanks for all the answers guys I am really excited about the boat! I am getting my variable speed TorqX buffer out Friday night and going to town on buffing and polishing. I will post pics after that but we are taking the kiddos out to the lake Sunday again. Trying to soak up every last second of summer!