Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

99 Malibu Response - possible leak

ClaireBLC

Our ‘99 Malibu has been taking on a bit of water and the auto bilge has stopped working. While we wait for marina to look at the bilge pump, we want to do some diagnosis. There is a small permanently wet patch on rear right side of carpet (when standing looking toward steering wheel). Couple of questions: 1. How to unscrew that carpet area that can open to see if anything is leaking in there (center back is like a carpeted door) and 2) has anyone had a similar leak?  

>> I wasn’t able to add my pic 

Appreciate help! Thanks 

I am going to bet that water is originating from the joint at the rub rail.  My Tantrum does the same thing (and I never worry about it), when you have more people in the boat and a certain speeds the water curls right against the rub rail and some can leak in, make the carper a bit damp.  It's not a serious leak in mine at least.  The way to fix is to remove the rub rail and seal.  In some cases the two halves of the boat have actually separated slightly, if you want to fix that it's going to be more work.

You absolutely need to fix your auto bilge.  That's cheap and easy for the most part.  Just replace your bilge pump (you can do that yourself).

I'd be checking the rub rail before you start pulling the carpet out, unless you have have obvious hull damage it's going to be the rub rail. 

On the bilge, you first need to know why it's not working.  It might be the switch, or a wire going to the pump, or the pump itself is clogged, or it actually doesn't work.  They are tough pumps that rarely fail.  But I agree that it definitely needs to be in working order.  If you are not that technical, then yes plan to take that in for repair, it is important especially with how low the Response sits in the water.

what @solorex said, same thing was happening on my sportster, wasn't enough water to get overly concerned about but was annoying. I ended up running a bead of silicone under the rub rail and it seemed to help.

in regards to your bilge pump, check for voltage right at the pump itself first, if you have 12V then you know it is the pump, if not then you know it is upstream and do what @Michigan boarder says and check all switches/fuses. It is a simple job to replace though, should be a black plastic piece in the front of your motor box held in by four screws. Remove this and you will see the pump, remove and replace.

Edited by mackie12
1 hour ago, mackie12 said:

you will see the pump, remove and replace.

Or clean it.  I just had a similar issue - bilge not coming on at all.  I figured dead pump, but breaker was off.  Reset breaker and still no joy.  Reoved the front panel, ad cleaned the pump.    Added some water and PRESTO - working bilge.  Must have been some gunk in the float switch.  BTW, my bilge pump is tiny.  Does not look like one of the newer ones.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, ClaireBLC said:

Thanks so much for the quick reply! Do you think we might see where the leak is if we put it on the trailer? 

You could continuously soak the rear portion of the rub rail with a hose and see if water comes in.  Like @mackie12 said, a bead of quality silicone under the rub rail will help.  That's what I have done on mine too.  Mine still weeps a bit but nothing that concerns me.

Edited by solorex

I had a similar issue on my Response now, could not figure out where the water was coming. Ended up being the shower head was left open (not on) and at speeds water pumps outta that thing hard!

On 8/13/2019 at 11:21 AM, Eagleboy99 said:

Or clean it.  I just had a similar issue - bilge not coming on at all.  I figured dead pump, but breaker was off.  Reset breaker and still no joy.  Reoved the front panel, ad cleaned the pump.    Added some water and PRESTO - working bilge.  Must have been some gunk in the float switch.  BTW, my bilge pump is tiny.  Does not look like one of the newer ones.

I might have spoken too soon.  :(  Bilge pump no worky this morning.  Loud hum and now nothing. It still draws current so I am hoping it is just plugged again.  

Does anyone know if these things are just screwed into the floor? Oh, and the wiring is something else  just twisted wires covered with electrical tape. It came that way from the factory.

• 4 weeks later...

ClairBLC, I just saw your post from August about water leaking in.  I also have a 99 Response and had water leaking in a few years ago which I fixed.  Hopefully you got your bilge pump working.

My leak was from inside the hydrondic dampener, the rectangular looking box where the shaft goes through the hull to the propeller.  Under the cover the shaft goes out of the boat and the upper and lower hull pieces are joined together.  The hydronic dampener is always full of water when the boat is on the lake.  If the seal between the upper and lower hulls leaks, you will see a continuous small amount of water coming in which the bilge pump will pump out.  Mine started with a slow leak and progressively go larger until you notice the bilge pump running every 15 minutes or so.

The leak test is to trailer the boat and lift the front end of the trailer so water flows to the back.  Beginning with everything dry. Take out the rear center carpeted panel so you can see the hydronic dampener box.  Use a garden hose to gently put water into the engine compartment and it will flow to the back of the boat.  Stop adding water before covering the top of the hydronic dampener.  Get down below the boat and watch for any water that may come out of the opening where the prop shaft exits.  If water runs out, you may have a leak between the top and bottom hull inside the dampener box.

To fix is fairly easy but takes time.  Allow everything to dry.  Remove top of dampener box and clean off all sealant.  Inside the dampener box, clean out all the old sealant.  Clean some more.  Clean more.  etc.  I use a painter's scraper (Home Depot) with a flat blade and point. Plus any other scraper to get out all the sealant. 

Install new Marine Grade Silicone Sealant with a caulk gun.  Look on line and at Home Depot.  I use a small length of clear hose stuck on the on the tip of the sealant tube to reach in to the very back of the box.  Small hands will be helpful for this part as there is not much room.  Allow to cure per the manufacture's instructions.  Apply new sealant and re-install the top with all the screws.  Allow to cure.  Test for leaks as done earlier.

This stopped all of my water coming into the hull except from skiers coming into the boat.