Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wrapping Tower

ahopkins22LSV

ahopkins22LSV

For those of you that have wrapped the tower in plastic wrap for long road trips, where did you buy the wrap? We have a 5 hour drive on Saturday and then later next week and I want to wrap it. Was thinking of picking this wrap up from Home Depot. I assume 1000' is enough for two trips but wanted to ask.

Also, do you use tape every so feet to add some extra strength?

TIA!

I bought mine at Sams Club since its 18" wide. I did add some blue painters tape in a couple areas but also overlap about 6" which is why I wanted the 18" wide stuff. 

Still gotta keep an eye on it, wind will want to shred or unravel it at times.

The thing that annoyed me the most was cleaning 1000 bugs off the board racks and since then I had covers made, now I dont wrap the tower, I just put a fresh coat of wax on it since speakers and racks have covers. With the wax on tower, bugs wipe off pretty easy if you do it when you arrive

Edited by Infinitysurf
  • Like 1

Tower likes to unravel, so I would use tape. If I tow with my cover on, I wrap the boat, before I put the cover on. Couple of wraps around the boat. And I’ve never seen any gel coat scuffing. Got mine at ace, has lasted for at least 5 trips. I think the roll was about 26$

• Like 1

I use the 20” x 1000’ roll from Home Depot when ever I put the cover on to tow. Two wraps a couple inches below the rub rail and no gel coat issues so far. Never have wrapped the tower, but probably worth it if bugs are a big problem. Wrap it tight and a little tape here and there would definitely help.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

How many layers before you taped did you wrap your bimini/tower?

I'm guessing that's 2 layers. This example was my boat partner's work, which is one more reason we continue to have a good boating relationship.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
ahopkins22LSV

Figured I would follow up on this .. 2 months later :blush:

Anyway, the cheap wrap at HD worked really well. The smaller width made it easier to go around the speakers and racks. It held up pretty good on the way there. 3 hours at 70-75mph and 1.5 at 60-65mph. I did have to stop one time on the way home to fix a spot around the speaker, but it was minor. In the after pictures you can see a few minor rips but it protected really well. It was coated with bugs and actually a lot of them fell into the boat as they didn't stick to the wrap, but I'd rather use a mini shop vac real quick for those rather then scrub the tower. I will be doing this for all long road trips from now on.

Before: pictures. I didn't need to use as much tape as I did. You can see on the after pictures that I used less and only in spots that needed some reinforcement:

2017576094_TowerBefore1.thumb.jpg.94ac441b4cad81c706b7050f5396a0d8.jpg

577609882_TowerBefore2.thumb.jpg.3224f0ccbb0164543eb01ee143c09916.jpg

After. I did have to cut the bottom to cover the boat when we got home, didn't have time to cut the wrap off.

617814839_TowerAfter1.thumb.jpg.f367b9028c539efc70f92db351f1f3ce.jpg

106202745_TowerAfter2.thumb.jpg.8ec555aab7fd74869f571d38177d8fa8.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1