Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can you drill new holes in a manual wedge mount to approximate “1-2 clicks”

95echelon

Got my 05 box dialed for surfing but only have a manual wedge. Most folks say ideal wave is with the wedge 1-2 clicks up. I’d like to drill a couple of holes further back to approximate that angle. Anything I should think of? Can anyone tell me how many degrees of tilt each click of power wedge gives? 

Finding a complete power wedge system is nigh on impossible. 

1 minute ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Of course you CAN, but SHOULD you?  I would worry about weakening the metal causing a failure, etc.

I’d consider having my metal work guy (old retired dude who seems to work half for fun and half for money) remake the plate with adjustments in it. Although at that point I could probably just buy some lencos and talk with @martinarcher about programming in some wedge logic along with his gate controller. Could be a fun winter project!

martinarcher

The custom floater on the Sunsetter has some "stop" holes drilled in the wedge bracket so we can move the stop position up and down.  Works well and allows me to do exactly what you're talking about.  I'd love to power wedge it and fab up a bracket for the actuators but the old Bu's had such a narrow opening between the exhaust outlets that I don't think it's real feasible...but who knows.

45 minutes ago, martinarcher said:

The custom floater on the Sunsetter has some "stop" holes drilled in the wedge bracket so we can move the stop position up and down.  Works well and allows me to do exactly what you're talking about.  I'd love to power wedge it and fab up a bracket for the actuators but the old Bu's had such a narrow opening between the exhaust outlets that I don't think it's real feasible...but who knows.

You got a thread for that beastie?

If memory serves me correctly, there are a couple of holes at the bottom my floating wedge bracket.  I could possibly put a couple bolts in there and/or some washer to change the angle a bit to get 1-2 clicks up?  I'll have to look next time I'm down there at the lake to see if this is possible.   Thanks for the idea!

@95echelon have you tried using your current fixed wedge as a floating wedge?  As is "drop" the wedge but don't pin it at the bottom to lock it in place.  Pins sticking out would stop the wedge on the bracket and give it a bit more aggressive angle.  Could at least test it this way to see if the added time and effort to manufacture one would be worth it?

4 minutes ago, blk93jeepzj said:

@95echelon have you tried using your current fixed wedge as a floating wedge?  As is "drop" the wedge but don't pin it at the bottom to lock it in place.  Pins sticking out would stop the wedge on the bracket and give it a bit more aggressive angle.  Could at least test it this way to see if the added time and effort to manufacture one would be worth it?

I've done this by accident and it did not seem to work all that well.  Plus it bounced around in the waves.