Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Boat Considerations for Larger Lakes

DAI

I've got a combination of two things coming together.   We have started looking for a second home on a lake, and some bigger lakes are coming into the equation.  At the same, I'm starting to debate a new boat.  I plan to demo all my options, but acknowledge water conditions will unlikely be the same, or on the day of the demo, to the extreme we could encounter on a larger lake during summer days.  So I'm looking for a little perspective and experience as I begin my process.

The top 3 I'm looking at (all new):

• 25 LSV
  • 24 MXZ
  • Centurion Ri257

Which of the 3 above will handle chop the best?  Some of the lakes we are looking at can get pretty stirred up during the day, and just for something that would do better than my current sized 23 LSV.

Thoughts / Experiences?  TIA.

We are on large flowage (16K acres) that can get really rough when windy.  I get beat up in my 23 LSV but my buddy's 2018 24 MXZ is like a carpet ride in rough chop.  I was amazed.  I have also demoed a new 25 LSV on big water but thought the 24 was actually better.  

The bigger and heavier boat will handle the chop the best. Also deeper V and more freeboard. Ri257 here. We run ours with 1000 lead all the time so heavier still. It does pretty good. Our lake is small, but we have been out at LOTO. In the main channel around 2pm. Not anything I would recommend for anybody with less than a 40' boat. No wake boats belong out there. It sucked and will never do it again. 

7 minutes ago, IXFE said:

@DAI

you drive a Raptor now... you can’t tow ANY of those boats. 

/thread :lol:

True.  But with a lake home, towing will be minimal - dealer service - even then I may have them come and get it for anything I can't do myself.  One of the requirements of the lake home is a big enough garage for the boat or a heated pole barn.  Not giving up my Raptor.

#masterplan :cheers:

17 minutes ago, DAI said:

True.  But with a lake home, towing will be minimal - dealer service - even then I may have them come and get it for anything I can't do myself.  One of the requirements of the lake home is a big enough garage for the boat or a heated pole barn.  Not giving up my Raptor.

#masterplan :cheers:

I’m just messin’ with you. I’ve been towing a G23 all week with a 2018 Raptor without any issue. 

Anyway... back your question. You know my vote. It’s a no brainer, imho. 

7 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I’m just messin’ with you. I’ve been towing a G23 all week with a 2018 Raptor without any issue. 

Anyway... back your question. You know my vote. It’s a no brainer, imho. 

Didn't take it any other way :salute:

I have 24 MXZ and is pretty smooth ride when is windy or choppy, boat is big , compared to 25LSV and 257 , G25 feels bigger on water .. That because wide bow . 24 it’s basically 24 and 8” plus swim platform and wide bow makes this boat unique. 

im planing to take the boat to the ocean soon so we see how it ride.

I just went through this decision process.  Water tested the 25LSV and Ri237 (not a 257).  We go to Powell a few times every year so we know what real chop means.  Anyway, the centurion will ride better in chop without question.  However, we decided on the 25LSV because it did everything else better for us.  The new M6 motor is amazing.  The Malibu surf wave was better and easier to adjust to each rider.  We just liked the Malibu better in every other way.  So the question is...do you really want to buy a wakeboat and base the decision solely or mainly on rough water ride?  How much time do you spend in chop?  

We decided we can handle a couple minutes in chop every once in a while in order to enjoy the other 90% of the time with the boat we really want.

Oh and the BU is less expensive.  At least it was for us.  25LSV vs a Ri237 and the 25LSV fairly well equipped was 20K less than the 237 with a smaller motor.  No brainer at that point

• Like 3

Larger lake as in leaving Wisconsin? I'd have to think that even a 23' would be big enough for anything really in Wisconsin.  From your list though, my impression always was that the centurion had the deepest v of the bunch.  But I rode a 25 lsv on a very windy day down on either Mary or Elizabeth when the Ride Tour came through.  It drove through without any issues.  

Last thought, Centurion will have some boats out next weekend for Cornfest.  I filled out one of those online surveys (are you going to buy a boat within 5 years?) and received a free ticket and a chance to demo a Centurion.  Still up in the air as to whether or not David O'Caoimh will tag along.  Might be a good opportunity to see a few of their models on the water.

1 hour ago, kayt425 said:

I just went through this decision process.  Water tested the 25LSV and Ri237 (not a 257).  We go to Powell a few times every year so we know what real chop means.  Anyway, the centurion will ride better in chop without question.  However, we decided on the 25LSV because it did everything else better for us.  The new M6 motor is amazing.  The Malibu surf wave was better and easier to adjust to each rider.  We just liked the Malibu better in every other way.  So the question is...do you really want to buy a wakeboat and base the decision solely or mainly on rough water ride?  How much time do you spend in chop?  

We decided we can handle a couple minutes in chop every once in a while in order to enjoy the other 90% of the time with the boat we really want.

Oh and the BU is less expensive.  At least it was for us.  25LSV vs a Ri237 and the 25LSV fairly well equipped was 20K less than the 237 with a smaller motor.  No brainer at that point

Good point about chop. A lot of people make that a consideration, but we don't spend much time in chop either; we try to avoid it. 

Good decision on a 25 lsv. We have a 2019 25 lsv and love everything about it. There is not a better boat out there for the price and it is a great looking boat. Last week, we went out three days in a row and I calculated that I was in the boat for 14 hours and not once did I feel cramped or uncomfortable. I'll sit in our boat forever, but put me next to a swim pool and I'll get bored quickly. 

2 hours ago, onwi said:

Larger lake as in leaving Wisconsin? I'd have to think that even a 23' would be big enough for anything really in Wisconsin.  From your list though, my impression always was that the centurion had the deepest v of the bunch.  But I rode a 25 lsv on a very windy day down on either Mary or Elizabeth when the Ride Tour came through.  It drove through without any issues.  

Last thought, Centurion will have some boats out next weekend for Cornfest.  I filled out one of those online surveys (are you going to buy a boat within 5 years?) and received a free ticket and a chance to demo a Centurion.  Still up in the air as to whether or not David O'Caoimh will tag along.  Might be a good opportunity to see a few of their models on the water.

Geneva, Delavan and Tomahawk are on the list now.  All of those all kick up pretty good during the day.  We wouldn't do watersports during the high traffic points of the day, but also don't want to feel I can't take the boat out either.

I might have to check out Cornfest.  I've been to Twin Lake Marine a few times checking out Centurions (10 min from my house).  Every lake event with them I see is on Mary, which does not have good depth for a demo to check out the surf wave.  

I boat on a big choppy lake regularly and my 24 MXZ does a great job.  I haven't driven the other two so can't help there but my guess would be the Centurion would do even better because of the additional weight and deeper v hull.

I used to own a 2015 23 LSV and upgraded to the 2019 24 MXZ and I’ve been extremely happy with the purchase. The lake I’m on in TX can get fairly choppy but the 24 MXZ handles it like a champ. Running with the wedge in lift mode also helps mitigate the chop (limits top speed to 25mph when deployed). I’ve never been in an Ri257 but I demoed two 25 LSVs. Generally the larger the boat the better it will handle chop. Hull shape and wedge will also contribute to the comfort of the ride. 

At the end of the day I choose the 24 MXZ over the 25 LSV because I like the spaciousness of the MXZ bow. Additionally, the 24MXZ is only 6 inches shorter than the 25. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, DAI said:

Geneva, Delavan and Tomahawk are on the list now.  All of those all kick up pretty good during the day.  We wouldn't do watersports during the high traffic points of the day, but also don't want to feel I can't take the boat out either.

I might have to check out Cornfest.  I've been to Twin Lake Marine a few times checking out Centurions (10 min from my house).  Every lake event with them I see is on Mary, which does not have good depth for a demo to check out the surf wave.  

Nothing does well enough to ride on Geneva imo, I'm been on that lake at 6am and the chop is terrible. Delevan is a bit better. I ride there a bit on an old x star. Any of the boats you listed would do great on the Minocqua or tomahawk chain imo. But you have a malibu dealer up in Minocqua to help out. Nothing for the centurion. 

• Like 2
On 8/10/2019 at 5:29 PM, Chappy said:

I boat on a big choppy lake regularly and my 24 MXZ does a great job.  I haven't driven the other two so can't help there but my guess would be the Centurion would do even better because of the additional weight and deeper v hull.

And I will add that I have been out on Chappy's lake in my 2019 23LSV in big chop and it rides a million times smoother than the older 23LSV hull.  I was simply amazed at how smooth the new boat was compared to our old 23LSV. The newer hull and heaver boat was a night and day difference. The 25 and 24 are certainly the way to go.. bigger is always better if you have the room for it... but  even the new 23 would likely be hugely improvement over your 2014 23LSV.

• Like 3

I'm on Lake Geneva in my 2019 23 LSV.  Would have gone for a 25 but my in and out marina slip limits size.  I find that Geneva gets really choppy in the afternoons, but also that the 23 LSV handles it pretty well.  Been on many different non surf boats and honestly nothing that's in this size range is particularly comfortable in big chop.  The G25 is the most comfortable, but then you are talking $200 grand for a boat that doesn't make a wave as good the Malibu (IMHO).  If I keep the boat around 18 mph I don't find any chop that I've had on Geneva unmanageable.  When it's choppy, we don't motor around a lot.  Just go to a bay and anchor and let the kiddo's play on the Paradise Pad.  You can feel free to send me a personal message if you want to chat about Geneva specifically.

And if you are looking at a house with frontage on Lake Geneva, money clearly isn't an issue, just keep the 23 LSV for surfing int he morning and evening and pick up a Cobalt or Chapparal for cruising!! LOL.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for the feedback, it helps me understand the boat options I could consider when looking at homes.  

Malibu is high on my list, the styling just fits what I like.  Will be test driving a few different brands, but my guess it will be between a 25LSV and 24MXZ.

Hate to say it on a Bu forum, but the average Bu is unfortunately going to ride worse than most other options.

The best boats I have ever experienced in big water are the MC X26, followed by the MC X23. Most models in the Tige and MB lineups are pretty good, and Centurions are also up there. From personal experience on specific models that I have actually driven on big water-'16 X26>'15 X23>'18 Ri257>'19 X24>'19 SE>'20 XStar>'17 G23>'14 230>'19 25LSV>'15 23LSV. Although the G doesn't ride the worst, it is the absolute last choice I would pick for big water. The bow spray is just bad. It is better in 2016 and newer, but it is still worse than any other boat I have ever been in.

All of that said, you'll have a steady increase in weight/wake sensitivity as you work up the line for a better ride in the chop. The Bu's are ridiculously forgiving. The 230 up to the X24 are pretty easy to keep balanced, and the Ri through the X26 can be more of a pain to "dial in", and you have to be more careful with surf system settings, and people in the boat. Tige models also seem to be notoriously sensitive to tab settings and weight.

Interesting comments from TenTwentyOne.  I test drove every surf boat option with a local dealer on LG in pretty big chop.  I noticed no remarkable difference between the X23, Supra (whatever model is 23 feet), GS22, and Malibu.  I will say that my 23 LSV seems to make more noise because of the Bimini (when closed) and tends to hit the water harder.  However, in the same chop, it wasn't all that comfortable in the Deep V boats either.  I think a large choppy lake means that a 23 foot boat will bounce some.  

I thought the G25 was better than all the above.  Never tried the Centurion because there was not immediate local dealer support.  I couldn't see paying the extra for the G23 or G25 over the 23LSV, and the GS22 has lousy storage.  

One other consideration was turning.  The fact is, when it's choppy you turn a bit more to avoid chop.  The Malibu seemed to have the most precise turning of all the boats I tried.  

I think that choosing a surf boat means you compromise that rough water ride.  We decided we usually just motor out 10-15 minutes max when it's choppy and anchor to play in the water (we don't surf in the chop).  That meant that we were willing to give up the comfort in chop for the space and surf.....

• 2 weeks later...

Great discussion on this thread. I have the same question, since I am looking to upgrading my 21 VLX. We spend a couple weeks a year at Lake Powell and chop is an issue for my 21. Last week I rode in my brothers G25 and it was amazing in the chop. In fact the couple times we had to travel through the chop I would follow him and the G25 did a great job breaking the chop for me. 

Funny thing is everyone wanted to surf behind my 21 since the surf wake was so much better than the G25. 

I might need to look at the 24 MXZ.

Edited by bsearle
  • Like 1