Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Loss of power & backfire

braindamage

Our for a idle cruise tonight for about an hour. Accelerated to get back home for dinner and the engine started losing power and backfiring. I pulled back on he throttle and it ran ok, surging periodically but no backfire. Eventually I could go full throttle but it still lacked power and had slight surging.

ideas?

There’s a new whine from the fuel pump when initially turning on the key, so I think that’s my culprit.

bummer...glassy glass this morning, my MC ski buddy is out of town and my boat is dead:(:Frustrated::cry:

433C3AB0-279D-4401-AD46-B5EAAB8D31BD.jpeg

Edited by braindamage
  • Sad 1
23 minutes ago, justgary said:

It's always worth changing the filter and the pump screen.  The pump might just be begging for more fuel. 

If it’s begging for more fuel, would it whine at start-up?

1 hour ago, justgary said:

It's always worth changing the filter and the pump screen.  The pump might just be begging for more fuel. 

49 minutes ago, braindamage said:

Why not?  I would expect it to make a different sound if had a different flow rate. 

Found the in-line filter above tank and will replace it. The manual shows a water separator that looks like an oil filter but I can’t find that. There’s another cylinder in-line but am not sure where to find it. See left side of pic. Any idea what is that part number?

40A7EE96-245A-4BDF-B9DF-C306075F9094.jpeg

When you say pump screen, do you mean the in-line filter by tank or is there a different screen in the engine area?

When you say pump screen, do you mean the in-line filter by tank or is there a different screen in the engine area?

In-line filter replaced. No joy. The local dealer doesn’t have a pump kit in stock. There’s another dealer 1hour away that has one but wants $130 more than I can buy online.ill probably make the trip anyway 

Good news!!! It’s fixed.

embarrassingly, :blush: after I replaced the cheap and easy in-line filter I forgot to re-open the fuel tank valve.  :Doh:

I remembered as I was beginning to take everything apart and spend $500+.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have a Honda ATV I use for plowing and work around the house. A few years back I was plowing snow and it quit in the middle of the road. Pushed it back into the drive and  a quick plug change. No good so pushed it back to the barn and started looking things over, no spark. So long story I started pulling thing apart and after a half hour pulling body panels I looked at the ignition shut off and I see I must have bumped it working with the plow. Set the switch back to run, and yeper it runs like a champ. Another hour putting panels and parts back on finish plowing and kick my A$$ back into the house letting myself know how stupid I was for not looking at the switch.

Edited by Sixball
  • Thanks 1

It’s not fixed :cry:

I went for a sunset cruise and it quit at idle. I was able to start it and go about 1/4 mile by aggressively feathering the throttle, but it quit and won’t start.

I’m out of town until Friday, so can’t do anything until then. The fuel pump makes a squeaky noise when initializing the key but the whine isn’t noticeable while under power.

i think I either have a blockage in the tank/fuel line or my pump is bad.

Perhaps it's time to replace your fuel lines.  I have had cases before where a chunk dislodges from the inside of the hose and blocks the flow of fuel. 

And it's probably time to change the exhaust, raw water, and coolant hoses too.  What the heck, change the belts also.

3 minutes ago, justgary said:

change the exhaust, raw water, and coolant hoses

That is not part of the problem.  And in my case, they are in perfect condition.  A bit scary actually.

Ummmm, that was @braindamage... sorry I wasn't explicit, but he mentioned that he might have a blockage.  And you mentioned that these things have a life.  If your hoses aren't brand new, they aren't in perfect condition.

@braindamage - I recommend checking your fuel lines.  You may have a blockage.  Especially if you regularly use ethanol fuel.

I only use non-ethanol fuel. I think I’ll check for fuel pressure first then see where it goes. Replacing fuel lines doesn’t sound like much fun...but if that’s what it takes.

53 minutes ago, justgary said:

Perhaps it's time to replace your fuel lines.  I have had cases before where a chunk dislodges from the inside of the hose and blocks the flow of fuel. 

And it's probably time to change the exhaust, raw water, and coolant hoses too.  What the heck, change the belts also.

The fuel lines are high pressure and have press-on fittings. Is this something I can order or will I have to find someone to custom make them?

I'm having a similar issue without the backfire. I replaced the larger fuel filter by the fuel pump earlier this year but only did the in-line filter last year. I may just replace both again since they are relatively cheap as it is (picked both up at Napa - Napa Gold filter #'s 3033 & 3481). I definitely get a fuel pump whine now which wasn't really there early in the year.

side note - I get an initial screech when i give it throttle that goes away at speed. I can't isolate this exactly to the fuel pump however. I am running well until i try to push passed 3k rpms for reference.

Edited by MattyICE15
added part #'s