Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Style of wakeboard vs. boat type?

DOJOLOACH2

I'm 210lbs, 6' 2". Just bought a echelon '97 with a tower and wedge and want to get a wakeboard. Any advice on shape/size?

I'm thinking I'd like an intermediate-advanced rider shape because I have been off and on snowboards,skateboards, surfboards, wakeboards, etc. 3 stage rocker but do certain board profiles work better for smaller and larger wakes?

I used to have an Echelon and currently have an A24 that I run with extra weight.  On a smaller wake I like a board that is really fun to ride and pay less attention to how it pops or lands.  To me this is a board that carves well and is snappy and quick.  I personally don’t like 3 stage boards for any wake, and I think most people would agree that continuous boards will typically carve better than 3 stage.  Stiff boards take big landings better but a more flexible board will be more playful and fun to slash around on.  If you’re between sizes I’d maybe size down, but this is assuming that you ride at 22-23 mph.  If you go slower, then a small board might have too much drag.  A larger board will be more stable and forgiving but just not as fun to ride.  I really like O’Brien boards and have ridden most of their lineup.  I’d highly recommend the O’Brien Format.  I'm 150lbs and find the 137 to be a really fun snappy board, so I think the 142 would be a good fit for you.  I rode a Slingshot Response a long time ago and remember that being really fun too.

On 8/9/2019 at 2:28 PM, Daren said:

I used to have an Echelon and currently have an A24 that I run with extra weight.  On a smaller wake I like a board that is really fun to ride and pay less attention to how it pops or lands.  To me this is a board that carves well and is snappy and quick.  I personally don’t like 3 stage boards for any wake, and I think most people would agree that continuous boards will typically carve better than 3 stage.  Stiff boards take big landings better but a more flexible board will be more playful and fun to slash around on.  If you’re between sizes I’d maybe size down, but this is assuming that you ride at 22-23 mph.  If you go slower, then a small board might have too much drag.  A larger board will be more stable and forgiving but just not as fun to ride.  I really like O’Brien boards and have ridden most of their lineup.  I’d highly recommend the O’Brien Format.  I'm 150lbs and find the 137 to be a really fun snappy board, so I think the 142 would be a good fit for you.  I rode a Slingshot Response a long time ago and remember that being really fun too.

I'll check those out. I was also looking at a 142 liquid trip with continual rocker. There's got to be a good reason to have some of these simpler board designs around so long ( they work)

Given your size, you’ll want to get at least a 142cm board. If you want more pop off the wake, get a board with a 3-stage rocker. A continuous rocker may be more forgiving for a novice rider, but you won’t get as much pop as a 3-stage would provide. I always looked at the difference between the two rockers similar to a v-hull (continuous) vs a wake-hull (3-stage). As you approach the wake to get pop, you are pushing your legs against the wake. A continuous rocker will cut thru the wake. A 3-stage, with the flat bottom, will be pushed more vertically by the wake. 

Any good 3 stage boards that aren't priced crazy high like the ronix one or ronix darkside, which both look completely awesome..

What's the general consensus on "fun" boards like hybrid shapes or directional wakeboards?

I would look at evo.com  or similar type stores outlet for a last year model.  This time of year they are really discounting the 18' and 19' boards.

19 hours ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

Any good 3 stage boards that aren't priced crazy high like the ronix one or ronix darkside, which both look completely awesome..

What's the general consensus on "fun" boards like hybrid shapes or directional wakeboards?

I would check out The House or Evo as suggested above. Honestly though, if you wakeboard enough and are passionate about it, getting the right gear is important, even if you have to pay a little extra. 

As far as the gimmicky boards go, they’re fun as a change of pace, but you won’t ride them much. So don’t spend too much money on them. 

Incidentally, I just listed a 2017 Ronix Parks I-beam Air Core 144cm with Ronix One bindings Size 11 on Craigslist. Hardly used it as I’ve transitioned more towards surfing.