Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

FM Radio Reception

cmargosi

All,

Tried the FM Radio in the new 23 LSV last weekend and got zero reception.  I get plenty of channels in the car near my lake and also have had reception on other boats I have been on.  Is it possible I'm missing an antenna?  Anyone have any ideas??

There's one channel I kind of like in the area.

Malibu chooses to not care that you can't get any FM reception in these boats. The answer is no one listens to FM. I have tried twice to get mine fixed and they don't seem to be able to make it work.

Have you tried Radio.com app, or Tunein? Between those tow I have never yet not found a station. 

As far as the boats radio, it could be unplugged. However, without an actual antenna and ground for it reception wont be good. You need 32 inches for good reception.

To be honest on my 2016 23 LSV I never use the FM portion of the stereo.  Bluetooth mainly from my iPhone streaming off my SirrusXM Radio subscription or music from iTunes.  

Previously on my 2001 I did listen to FM.  The reception stock was terrible.  I replaced the OEM antenna with a longer flat antenna which I carefully mounted under the gunwale.  Actually worked quite well.  Hidden from view and ran along with the wire loom toward the back of the boat from the radio.    

Example of stick on window style antenna

• Like 2

A folded dipole should work OK if you string it along the inside of the boat away from steering cables, power cables, etc.  You might need to use an adapter to get to the connector style you need for your radio. 

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/10412749604877398242?q=folded+dipole+fm+antenna&biw=1458&bih=768&prds=epd:5241451415695908837,prmr:3&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjklqSy_f_jAhVUds0KHSaiA4IQ8wIInAQ

Or string a coax through your tower and put a vertical antenna (like the rubber duck posted above) on the top.  That would be the better solution since elevation is your friend when it comes to antennas.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2018 22 MXZ and have the same issue.  I am going to have to simply make my own antenna and splice it in.  It is just a bad design and i doubt the dealer will do anything even though it is still under warranty.

14 hours ago, milehighbu said:

I have a 2018 22 MXZ and have the same issue.  I am going to have to simply make my own antenna and splice it in.  It is just a bad design and i doubt the dealer will do anything even though it is still under warranty.

Dealer tells me that's just how it is. Malibu has no interest in making a FM receivable unit.

The antenna connection is off the Black Box, you will probably need to pull the amp board down to reach it. It's possible to dig out the connection from the front through the wire pass through but I wouldn't recommend it. There is the possibility of disconnecting something else. Then add your antenna of choice. Lots of options to mount antennas.

Just get a Spotify account and listen to whatever you want without commercials.  About $10/month or around $15 month for a family membership (where you can share with 4 other friends and pay a couple bucks a month each).  FM is dead.

I actually tried the FM channels today while out on the water.  I picked up a few local channels without a problem.  I definitely could not pick up all the channels I get in my truck, but at least had a few to listen to if I wanted to.

Back in the '60 and '70s the Corvette, Challenger T/A and AAR 'cuda had the antenna at the rear of the car.  People assumed this was for style but it was because these vehicles had fiberglass hoods that didn't shield the ignition noise. So they moved the antenna as far away as they could from the ignition system.  Same problem on a fiberglass boat.

5 hours ago, MadMan said:

Back in the '60 and '70s the Corvette, Challenger T/A and AAR 'cuda had the antenna at the rear of the car.  People assumed this was for style but it was because these vehicles had fiberglass hoods that didn't shield the ignition noise. So they moved the antenna as far away as they could from the ignition system.  Same problem on a fiberglass boat.

Most of the engines you will find these days have suppressed ignition, so spark noise shouldn't be nearly the problem it was 50 years ago.  A good ground plane is important if you want to use a 1/4 wave vertical (a 5/8 wave for FM would be almost 10 feet long, so it isn't very practical).  The folded dipole I mentioned above doesn't need or want a ground plane, and would perform best if installed away from the tower, steering cables, and big power cables.  

The rubber duck you posted before is a really good choice, especially with a ground plane like the windshield or the tower near its base.  Putting it near the windshield is good, and connecting a wire from the antenna mount to a windshield screw should be even better.