Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Shaping the wakeboard Wake

ivermike

Looking for some input.  I have a new LSV 25, just came out of a 2016 Axis A24.  One thing that is very different has been figuring out the right combination for a nice wakeboard wake that is very rampy and sharp.  I had an easy time with my Axis, but my LSV under power creates a much stronger starboard lean.  I have put 300 lbs of weight on the port side but still have to unevenly load up the ballast bags.  In the past I was running about 21-22 and 65% full on back bags (Sumo 750's) with full front and another 100 lbs of steel shot bags on my Axis made a very clean wake. 

The lean under power for the LSV has been a surprise to me.  I am not sure what is causing this and what the wise fix would be.  The dealer's suggestion is to do what I am doing.  Any suggestions?  Should consider another prop? 

I don’t think the prop would make the difference you are looking for.

i struggle with shaping the wake for my 9yr /12yr old but that has more to do with the speed, they are now up to 18mph riding at 75 length(wake cleans up better >70)

my wakeboard sessions are fewer and far between these days but my presets are full front and middle MLS, 22mph , wedge 2 clicks above lift. I’ve found that speeds above 20 allow the wave to clean up for the most part. The variable is the adults sitting on one side or the other.

our crew size is generally 3-4 adults and 2-3 kids, and balancing seating is simple. This weekend we were 5 adults 4 kids and I was filling the port side mls to offset the seating locations of adults that are talking to each other.

i will say the surf wake with everything full was 👌🏻 Even though with that many people I only had 2 surf runs

Edited by Stevo

The surf set ups have been easy to arrive at.  The wakeboard set ups are taking much more time.  I am about 200lbs but find myself putting 500 lbs on the port side to even out the lean under power.  After that, trying to find the right weight for clean, sharp wakes with a steep ramp.  I have not applied wedge though so would be curious what people are running with wedge and/or ballast

@ivermike I have found that it takes about 25% fill on the port side to evenly clean up the wake on our 23lsv, typically running around 22 mph.  Whatever the amount of balast, 25% more on the port side.  I was also suprised by having to counter balance this much on the new boat.  Not sure that it helps you much other than let you know that you are not alone!

3 hours ago, Mattyb said:

@ivermike I have found that it takes about 25% fill on the port side to evenly clean up the wake on our 23lsv, typically running around 22 mph.  Whatever the amount of balast, 25% more on the port side.  I was also suprised by having to counter balance this much on the new boat.  Not sure that it helps you much other than let you know that you are not alone!

Thanks Mattyb.  I have been puzzled by this differential.  

ahopkins22LSV

The difference in lean is because of the prop as it is 17” compared to a 15” on your Axis. It creates so much torque that is what causes the lean. However it also gives you the performance required for a boat that big. As @Stevo mentioned I don’t think a prop is going to solve your problem. As in you might get it to lean less, but now you don’t have the performance required. I’d keep playing with weight. If you find that filling the port ballast more works then you can save that as a preset and still have a one button push setup. 

Funny how things change. My 04 wakeboard wake is always on point but surfing is fickle. 

It sounds like you're trying to overcome the driver and drivetrain torque. You may want some "permanent " port side lead. But ballast pre sets can probably do the same thing.  With the lead you can line them up along the outside of the boat to get the most out of the weight. 

21 hours ago, ivermike said:

Looking for some input.  I have a new LSV 25, just came out of a 2016 Axis A24.  One thing that is very different has been figuring out the right combination for a nice wakeboard wake that is very rampy and sharp.  I had an easy time with my Axis, but my LSV under power creates a much stronger starboard lean.  I have put 300 lbs of weight on the port side but still have to unevenly load up the ballast bags.  In the past I was running about 21-22 and 65% full on back bags (Sumo 750's) with full front and another 100 lbs of steel shot bags on my Axis made a very clean wake. 

The lean under power for the LSV has been a surprise to me.  I am not sure what is causing this and what the wise fix would be.  The dealer's suggestion is to do what I am doing.  Any suggestions?  Should consider another prop? 

Is this happening with the wedge down ?  I find that evens the boat well 

On 8/6/2019 at 8:59 AM, granddaddy55 said:

Is this happening with the wedge down ?  I find that evens the boat well 

Granddaddy, I have not been running the wedge, was doing it lol with ballast weight.  Next time to lake, running the wedge.  Any suggestions on the setting?

The batteries moving to the bow may be a little of what you are noticing between the old and the new. Two batteries in the observers compartment can make a big difference in balance. I’d say find what you need and stack a couple lead bags to where it’s close and then use a little water weight to balance. I’m a big guy so I have 150# of lead on the port side to offset the lean. 

11 hours ago, ivermike said:

Granddaddy, I have not been running the wedge, was doing it lol with ballast weight.  Next time to lake, running the wedge.  Any suggestions on the setting?

Sorry I only have the full deploy auto set Axis wedge 

but it means 1000-1500 more drag force weight requiring possibly more nose weight 

Edited by granddaddy55
19 hours ago, isellacuras said:

The batteries moving to the bow may be a little of what you are noticing between the old and the new. Two batteries in the observers compartment can make a big difference in balance. I’d say find what you need and stack a couple lead bags to where it’s close and then use a little water weight to balance. I’m a big guy so I have 150# of lead on the port side to offset the lean. 

Great point on the batteries.  Not back on the water for a couple weeks, clearly I have more playing to do

I have gotten my 25LSV to run flat with only me in the boat. I run about 300 pounds heavier with lead on the port side than the starboard. I also have 2 extra batteries and stereo equipment in the observers compartment. When sitting at the dock it actually lists left. 

I have a couple kids that like to wakeboard heavy.(full ballast with plug and play) This last weekend one said he just wanted to wakeboard intermediate. The wave was smaller but much steeper than when we are wakeboard advanced. It had more pop for him. Typically, depending on speed, one adult moving will balance the wake. I have also found that with different speed and weight I need to adjust the wedge to clean up the lip. So try playing with the wedge as well.

I also have evened out my boat when I am alone. I added about 350lbs. to the portside as well. I pull a wakeboarder occasionally, and we seem to fill ballast according to where people are sitting.  Seems to even out too by moving people, but we have always had to do that.