Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

? about forward facing wakeboard towers on some models

shiftman

First off, thanks to all of those who give of there time responding to help folks like me learn. It is very much appreciated.

I am on my second summer of searching for "That boat". During this time, I have gained some knowledge about Malibus (like learning that Wakesetter is/was an upgrade package and that Vrides were older hulls). That said, I see some models of 06-09 boats Wakesetter, Vride, Iride, etc (in my price range for a second boat) with both forward and rear facing towers. I personally like the aesthetics of the forward style and am wondering if they were a special order item . I guess it is possible that some boats were bought with no towers and aftermarket towers installed. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.   

Forward facing towers are a less stable design, from a structural standpoint.  They also give better access to board racks, but make it more difficult to board a boat from the side (while on a trailer).

Rumor has it, they went forward facing to get around a patent infringement.

Pics of what you are looking at would be helpful.

With the exception of the carbon fiber blade tower (one and done towers had supply problems and some defects), the forward facing illusion and G series are solid. 

Titan series towers are very popular as well especially the titan 3 . 

Id have no problem with any of those 3.

( pics didn’t upload in the order I wanted)

illusion

titan

carbon fiber blade tower

g3

A192248C-B07B-465D-AABA-40DE4BE8A226.jpeg

F8A6C1FF-C5E4-4578-A957-E7151420C4CE.jpeg

385B39D4-113B-411D-AF7A-ED2881E50F12.jpeg

6925CA77-4F0B-478C-89AA-98A12206D872.png

Edited by Stevo
1 hour ago, MadMan said:

Yes indeed...the key verbiage of the patent was that it specified 4 attach points and 4 legs, hence the change to 2-legged towers.

• Like 1
On 8/4/2019 at 8:51 AM, MadMan said:

Forward facing towers are a less stable design, from a structural standpoint.  They also give better access to board racks, but make it more difficult to board a boat from the side (while on a trailer).

So your saying Malibu successfully did this snd don’t pay the tower license agreement from correct craft ,nautique or whoever it is that gets paid for every towe?r 

Edit, posting didn’t see @formulaben at bottom before post , sorry!

Edited by granddaddy55

In that year range, you are looking at either the Illusion X, Illusion XS (both are very similar) or the T3 which is the 4 point tower.  The T3 is a much stronger and less troublesome tower.  

The G3 came in 2010 and is a superior tower to the Metcraft Illusion.  That said, they are all units that work.  But if looking at identical 2009 and 2010 models, I would pay more than just the value difference of a model year to get the 2010 just to have the G3 tower.  

3 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

So your saying Malibu successfully did this snd don’t pay the tower license agreement from correct craft

I doubt that - it is a utility patent, not a design patent.

7 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

So your saying Malibu successfully did this snd don’t pay the tower license agreement from correct craft ,nautique or whoever it is that gets paid for every towe?r 

Edit, posting didn’t see @formulaben at bottom before post , sorry!

I was just trying to point out the forward facing design was driven by functionality or esthetics, it was legal.