Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Full Size SUV Questions

RyanB

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2019 at 11:16 AM, John I. said:

Congrats on the new rig. Which model is that ? XLT? 

Yes, XLT.  I normally buy the highest trim level available, but I wanted to stay on a budget this time, so it was either this or a couple year old GM SUV.  The XLT with leather, HD tow, driver connivence package, I had a hard time justifying going up in trim package, making it easier to stay in budget.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2019 at 7:17 PM, RyanB said:

I do appreciate the feedback. 

Ended up buying the white Max in the photo above. Picked it up Friday. 

Ford says to wait 1000 miles before you tow with it, so might not get a report on that until next season. Which means the Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel will make its first real tow this weekend....

Nice! I drive a ‘12 suburban LT w the 5.3 & 3.08 rear end. 

Over Labor Day I rented a ‘19 Ford 3.5 expedition w/ five other folks & we drove it nearly 1400 miles in (5) days. Wow; the power to me felt incredible compared to my Chevy. Before the suburban I had a ‘09 GMC Denali XL, 6.2 liter & personally I felt like the Ford had WAY more gitty up. 

Over the 1400 miles the computer said 21.5 mpg, however, when I calculated by the pump it was more like 19.5. Interstate driving between Minneapolis & western North Dakota. Cruising about 75’ish.

after returning the rental, I want to sell my suburban & buy a Ford EB F150!

i won’t buy a truck for awhile tho. Most likely keep feeding Vanguard. 

My burb has 167K miles & had (1) steering sensor issue...that’s it. Thing has been freakin bulletproof. 

Don't drive a Ford Eco if you don't want to buy one! ;) I was lucky, my son and wife had a new baby and needed a larger vehicle. They took my Explorer off my hands so I got my Navigator. Now both my wife and I have Eco's. Just so fun to drive and just can't get a better trailer puller if you don't go HD Diesel.

I have been looking at some Ford's as well.  I am looking at Expedition and also F150's.  The F150's I am interested in are mostly the 5.0 engine.  One is actually a Roush F150 that is either a XLT or Lariat converted with an off road package.  I currently have a 2016 Yukon Denali with 61,000 miles.  Around 45,000 miles I had to replace the rear Magnaride shocks that cost about $1600.  Two weeks ago they told me the front ones were bad and quoted me over $1800.  Last week my AC went out and that cost $950.  My question to those who own or owned a Yukon Denali, what can I expect next?  After these last couple of costly problems, that are well known common problems with this vehicle that GM has done nothing with, I am thinking about trading up.  The only positive is the Yukon is paid for.  I am just looking to see what others have experienced (that are probably common problems) that could go wrong.  I have heard about some transmission issues with the GMC Yukons also.

I have had several Yukon Denali's and had virtually no problems, other than some recalls they never went to the shop. A close friend is at 180k on his 15 with no problems. My bro-in law has a 16 that has had the magnaride all the way around replaced and had ac problems at 50k, but his F250 is on 3rd turbo and ac system has been rebuilt twice already and has had death wobble numerous times even after "the fix" has been done. He loves his truck and talks about how big a piece of junk the Denali is. Maybe he has bad luck or just got 2 lemons. I personally feel like it is luck of the draw and fan boys will exaggerate about their brand and bash the ones they don't like, so test drive and go off independent test like ones on youtube. They are usually unbiased and give REAL WORLD performance numbers.

I think most all of our vehicles regardless of brand are darn good for the most part. Some have advantages in areas and if it fits something that fits your needs it makes one look better then another. All have had some junk go out but not very often. For me Ford has been very good. I have only had one that spent more time working on then I liked. That one and one other couldn't get me home once.  My 70 Boss 302 was the only vehicle that got cash put into other then normal wear and tare. It got a bunch but then it lived a very hard life including track time. But then we will always think one is better then the other:Tease3:!