Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Full Size SUV Questions

RyanB

These two look interesting. But neither have the heavy duty trailer tow package which limits them to 6000 pound I believe. 

http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/1e2ad878

http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/1e4c13bf

I’ve looked through a bunch of dealer websites and none list a vehicle as having the tow package. And then when you talk to a sales person they say something to the effect of “it has a class IV hitch” and think that is the same as the tow package, which I don’t think is true. 

29 minutes ago, RyanB said:

These two look interesting. But neither have the heavy duty trailer tow package which limits them to 6000 pound I believe. 

http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/1e2ad878

http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/1e4c13bf

I’ve looked through a bunch of dealer websites and none list a vehicle as having the tow package. And then when you talk to a sales person they say something to the effect of “it has a class IV hitch” and think that is the same as the tow package, which I don’t think is true. 

Here is my window sticker. Heavy Duty Tow PKG with 3.73 axle is a separate option at $1570.

AF01D5CD-6EC9-4A73-8B67-625EC83D3F1F.thumb.jpeg.0eb6da7eefc7de2b455f26b0746ed494.jpeg

Also, when looking at pictures online the easiest way to tell if it has the upgraded tow package is if it has the electric brake control to the left of the stereo, otherwise it is just an empty cubby hole.

6026B044-BA92-4F26-BFAE-AFA8B712FA94.thumb.jpeg.324a01e3be4f985ec269a0a0513e260b.jpeg

How is the depreciation on the Expedition?  I have a feeling its worse than the GMC Denali.  Is resale important to you?  

If it was your main tow vehicle I’d say get the expy with the ecoboost and don’t look back.  However since it is your secondary tow vehicle i wouldn’t be afraid of the gmc denali with the 10 speed and 6.2.   Quiet, nice ride and better resale.

I hate car shopping.  Ha

On 8/2/2019 at 1:19 AM, RyanB said:

@vaporbluebu, your Ex is 4x4 correct?  Searching I can find some less expensive ones that are not. 

This Yukon looks interesting. Priced more than I want to spend (I’m notorious for budget creep) but you get a lot for the $$$. 

http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/1f01e235

Thats a little more than i paid for our 17 brand new, just fwiw.

Well, I went and drove an Expedition Max today.  XLT with leather package.  It had the panoramic sunroof, adaptive cruise and lane assist.  It did not have the max tow, but they "can get one".  $58k.

So, maybe my expectations were too high, but I was UNDERWHELMED with the EcoBoost.  Maybe if you really had a stop watch on it you could see a difference, but by the seat of your pants, it felt no stronger than my current 6.2.  Actually I'm not sure it felt as strong.  And a huge disadvantage with the EB is you don't get to hear that sweet exhaust note of the big V8.

I've read the towing reviews, and believe the Ex is likely a better towing platform, but it also needs to be a good driver.  The Ex was more quiet than my current Denali.  And it handled well.  I took it up the mountains just a bit, and I don't know if it was the adaptive cruise, or just the grade shifting, but I did like the transmission.

The dealer low balled me on my trade (which I expected).  We are leaving to Lake Powell on Tuesday.  When I get home, I'll sell my Yukon on my own.  Will probably go back and look at a used low mile Denali and see how it compares.  I think the huge incentives on the Ex go through September.  Now I'm wondering if GM will offer similar incentives toward the end of the year with their new twins coming out.

After this trip, I really won't need a replacement vehicle until the snow starts to fly, so time is on my side.

As an aside, the hitch rating for non weight distribution is 6000 pounds with tongue weight of something like 460.  So that big 9000 pound tow rating is pretty meaningless for anyone that is towing a boat.

I’ve heard pretty good things about the Mercedes GlS when it comes to towing. It’s not rated at quite as much as the American full sized. The bigger brakes, sport suspension, wider wheels, and powerful engine all play into a good setup.

I would definitely take a look at it.  

ahopkins22LSV

GM will most likely offer good incentives at the end of the year for when the new suv’s come out. That’s how I got my 2018 Silverado. I thought they were due 2021, but I could be wrong. I haven’t looked into it much. 

4 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

GM will most likely offer good incentives at the end of the year for when the new suv’s come out. That’s how I got my 2018 Silverado. I thought they were due 2021, but I could be wrong. I haven’t looked into it much. 

You're right.  Debut next year as a 2021 model.  So probably a year out.

https://www.autobison.com/2019/07/new-suburban-to-dominate-full-size-suvs-in-2020/

ahopkins22LSV
5 hours ago, RyanB said:

You're right.  Debut next year as a 2021 model.  So probably a year out.

https://www.autobison.com/2019/07/new-suburban-to-dominate-full-size-suvs-in-2020/

Perfect, my wife’s equinox lease is up in December 2020. Good timing to take one of those “old” ones off their hands. 

12 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

GM will most likely offer good incentives at the end of the year for when the new suv’s come out. That’s how I got my 2018 Silverado. 

That's how I got the deal on my '18 Sierra as well.  17k off of MSRP helps.

I think I’m pretty close to buying my first Ford. 

Working a deal on a new 19 with the 202A package HD trailer tow and driver assist for $48k. 

The interior isn’t as nice as the higher trim but I can’t see spending another $15k for a Limited or another GM. 

On 8/3/2019 at 6:40 PM, RyanB said:

So, maybe my expectations were too high, but I was UNDERWHELMED with the EcoBoost.  Maybe if you really had a stop watch on it you could see a difference, but by the seat of your pants, it felt no stronger than my current 6.2.  Actually I'm not sure it felt as strong.  And a huge disadvantage with the EB is you don't get to hear that sweet exhaust note of the big V8.

I've read the towing reviews, and believe the Ex is likely a better towing platform, but it also needs to be a good driver.  The Ex was more quiet than my current Denali.  And it handled well.  I took it up the mountains just a bit, and I don't know if it was the adaptive cruise, or just the grade shifting, but I did like the transmission.

I feel the same way about the sound of the V8 and being underwhelmed when not towing. As I did my test drive I was nervous about using it to tow as it seemed underpowered, but I think that has to do with it not doing large shifts searching for gears. But once I hooked it up and starting pulling I was in love. Hope it all works out and that seems like a great price!

Edited by vaporbluebu
2 hours ago, RyanB said:

I think I’m pretty close to buying my first Ford. 

Working a deal on a new 19 with the 202A package HD trailer tow and driver assist for $48k. 

The interior isn’t as nice as the higher trim but I can’t see spending another $15k for a Limited or another GM. 

Wow. Holy Moly. Not trying to slam Fords, but I dont think I could ever buy one. I know a lot of people think that about gm and ram. Diff trucks for diff peeps.

@vaporbluebu I wouldn’t have even looked at the Ex if you hadn’t mentioned the deal you got. Thanks. 

@carguy79ta, I never really saw myself in a Ford either. Honestly I’m a MOPAR guy, and if I didn’t need the extra space I would likely be buying a Durango. But I’ve never really loved (or maybe even liked) the Yukon. Just seems like a cheap build quality. Rattles. I’ve never been happy with the way it towed the Bu. And despite all that, if they would just put the 6.2 in something other than their $70k models, I would have at least looked at them. 

Looking forward to seeing how the Ex works out. And honestly worst case scenario with the way they are discounted it seems like a pretty safe buy. 

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, RyanB said:

@vaporbluebu I wouldn’t have even looked at the Ex if you hadn’t mentioned the deal you got. Thanks. 

@carguy79ta, I never really saw myself in a Ford either. Honestly I’m a MOPAR guy, and if I didn’t need the extra space I would likely be buying a Durango. But I’ve never really loved (or maybe even liked) the Yukon. Just seems like a cheap build quality. Rattles. I’ve never been happy with the way it towed the Bu. And despite all that, if they would just put the 6.2 in something other than their $70k models, I would have at least looked at them. 

Looking forward to seeing how the Ex works out. And honestly worst case scenario with the way they are discounted it seems like a pretty safe buy. 

I tend to agree.. I have a Durango SRT with the 6.2 and it is awesome for towing around the new 23LSV... but I would have loved that motor as an option with a Durango or 1500 with air suspension, etc.

The two most likely successors to the Yukon. 

The white one has the lighter interior. Also has 20” wheels and the white is an “upgrade” for the paint. 

About $1000 difference in price on the two. 

84A55C45-E2F9-438A-A558-2D42AC89F242.jpeg

I put load range D tires on my Expedition and had a very limited selection with the 20" wheels.  Ended up with the BFG KO2 but they are almost too big.  I do love that white color though.

We went down this road last December when we found out how hard it was to get a toddler in the third row of our Toyota Highlander after having a third kid.  We originally were looking at Tahoe/Yukon and Expedition.  Just couldn't swallow $70-80k while paying $2500/mo to daycare, but wanted leather and a nice interior.  Drove a couple prior gen Expeditions and was not impressed at all with interior or quality (and I'm a Ford guy.)  Ended up looking at a Nissan Armada.  Saved about $20k for a similarly equipped model.  The 5.6 V8 is super strong.  I had a '19 Expy Max Limited as a rental and was not super impressed, especially at $20k more.  They don't pump the V8 sound in that they do the truck, so it sounded like I was cruising around in an old GM V-6. 

Not sure if you need the extra length of the MAX, but if not, I would really suggest looking at Armada/QX80.  

I do appreciate the feedback. 

Ended up buying the white Max in the photo above. Picked it up Friday. 

Ford says to wait 1000 miles before you tow with it, so might not get a report on that until next season. Which means the Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel will make its first real tow this weekend....

• Like 1