Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereo powers up but no controls work and amps are off.

dcarl

So on the start of last day of my vacation my radio stopped working on my 2016 VTX. When I turn on the stereo it does get brighter and "loud" comes on the screen (see pics). What I've tried so far, I reseated all the RCA cables I could find under the dash, in back to the amps and the ones that connect to the amps.  I tested the big Rockford fuse in the observers compartment and the 1amp fuse and 10amp fuse on the black box (see pic) that assume runs everything. I have power to all 3 amps. Any ideas of what else to try would be greatly appreciated. I won't to avoid taking it in.

IMG_20190729_203758007e.jpg

IMG_20190729_204118175e.jpg

IMG_20190729_204020668e.jpg

IMG_20190729_203824893e.jpg

IMG_20190729_203807401e.jpg

Ok update so the ground and red wire to the black box tested good. Then I disconnected this (see pic)it goes to the amps. After I disconnected it the amps turned on I can her radio faintly in the speakers but no controls on the touch screen. Is the black box bad?

added: It could be the connection from the screen (Medallion) to the black box also correct? Going out to investigate that now.

IMG_20190730_155539827e.jpg

Edited by dcarl

I have an rfx3000 black box that I think went bad. I am hoping to find one and attempt to replace. The amp board looks crazy hard to remove so let me know how it goes for you. 

"

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 4:09 PM, dcarl said:

Ok update so the ground and red wire to the black box tested good. Then I disconnected this (see pic)it goes to the amps. After I disconnected it the amps turned on I can her radio faintly in the speakers but no controls on the touch screen. Is the black box bad?

added: It could be the connection from the screen (Medallion) to the black box also correct? Going out to investigate that now.

IMG_20190730_155539827e.jpg

Definitely yes! I had the RF, MR 55BB in dash remote on my '10 and had the exact same issue as you are having due to a bad remote to BB connection. The amp board is a PITA to remove because the batteries are in the way. Mine was screwed to a glassed in bulk head strips in a couple locations. 2 top and 2 on the bottom of the amp board. My RFX 3000 had stickers on all of the wire plugs, but I would make darn sure you take pictures before you start unplugging things. I had continuity issues on a couple plugs as well, so when the boat bounced things cut out. On the style plug shown here, I used zips to hold everything together that I could and secured the connection at/on the plug to the back of the amp board to further secure it. The wimpy little wires for the clock memory (yellow IIRC) and power On function (red) had all but broken apart as well so I had to rewire those also.

Edited by wdr
1 hour ago, wdr said:

"

Definitely yes! I had the RF, MR 55BB in dash remote on my '10 and had the exact same issue as you are having due to a bad remote to BB connection. The amp board is a PITA to remove because the batteries are in the way. Mine was screwed to a glassed in bulk head strips in a couple locations. 2 top and 2 on the bottom of the amp board. My RFX 3000 had stickers on all of the wire plugs, but I would make darn sure you take pictures before you start unplugging things. I had continuity issues on a couple plugs as well, so when the boat bounced things cut out. On the style plug shown here, I used zips to hold everything together that I could and secured the connection at/on the plug to the back of the amp board to further secure it. The wimpy little wires for the clock memory (yellow IIRC) and power On function (red) had all but broken apart as well so I had to rewire those also.

I am planning on taking a bunch of pictures and marking what wire went where before removing the old one.  I discovered yesterday my amp board isn't even secured to the hull:(. I always have a cooler in that compartment, good thing too.  It must have been holding it upright all this time.  Once I remove my onboard charger I should be able to get the amp board to the center of the compartment and make thing a lot easier.

So I installed the new rfx3000 last night.  All the wires on Rockford Fosgate side were all clearly marked but nothing on the Malibu side was marked. So took some address return labels and marked all the wires on the Malibu side before disconnecting them.  To remove and install took less than a have hour.  It looks a little overwhelming but its really not that hard as a good portion of the connectors are not used.  Then I went test it and crap still the same issue as above. I was pissed to say the least. It was in 80's and I'd just spent a half hour in the observers compartment.  So I did what most would do, yes adult beverage time.  I thought now it has to be the connection from the screen to the black box.  I started looking closer at the all the wires in the compartment and found one that wasn't connected (see pic) How that came off I'll never know, it looks like an old style mini keyboard connector. The wire is marked TO RFX-MR5BB TO RCM( for the next guy). As a precaution I wrap some electrical tape around it so its never coming off again.

IMG_20190801_193447829e.jpg

• 3 years later...

I’m having same exact issue, I unhooked that cable and hooked it back but no luck. It will come on when it wants to.