Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with my 360

MustGoFast

Trying but can't seem to stick it.  Any advice?  I've had issues where I can't stop the rotation (ended up doing a 720 and losing the wave), I usually fall off (I'm pretty sure I'm not staying over the board) as I finish the spin.. This was my closest attempt yet but still lost the wave.

360 Vid

Looks to me like you need to anticipate the end of the 360 and start to dig in with your rails and fins about 45 degrees ahead of that in your rotation.  If you were in the air I would say to start looking for your landing, so think of it as a surface equivalent of that same concept.

1 hour ago, Mattyb said:

Looks to me like you need to anticipate the end of the 360 and start to dig in with your rails and fins about 45 degrees ahead of that in your rotation.  If you were in the air I would say to start looking for your landing, so think of it as a surface equivalent of that same concept.

Are you saying more toe side and rear board pressure on exit?

1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

start more out in the flats so that you don't ride so high up the top of the wave?

Just start low or initiate while accelerating into?  Tried the second but lost  balance harder 😭

4 minutes ago, MustGoFast said:

Just start low or initiate while accelerating into?  Tried the second but lost  balance harder 😭

a little bit of acceleration but only a little.

yours is much prettier than mine but here's an example from yesterday:

1 minute ago, shawndoggy said:

a little bit of acceleration but only a little.

yours is much prettier than mine but here's an example from yesterday:

Your much more balanced than me as I couldn't use my hands to help the recovery 

17 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

you stayed up tho!  I would always eat it on these and not get around the whole way when I started trying.

I've got pretty decent balance and body control just not sure what I'm doing.  I finished a 720 on the board when I couldn't stop the spin as I lost the back of the wave.

Also have a bunch of half turn crashes just didn't post one of those 🌊😎

40 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

you need to get your weight on your toes and dig the inside rail into the wave if you can't stop spinning.

Hopefully be trying that tomorrow is the weather cooperates 

There is a ton of good tips here.

Practice, practice, practice... I was getting them last year and struggling again this year. What a frustrating trick the 360 can be!

A few things that might help:

-If you can’t stop spinning and digging an edge is to too technical, try adding fins or larger fins.  Or, only aim for a 180, and then the board ease around. Doing that, you’ll actually get some push from the wave as you are spinning that will help you stay in.

-Put your hand a little higher in the wave. This will help you stay balanced and keep you from digging your toe edge into the face of the wave, which can contribute to spinning through the wave (was a big problem for me at one point).

-I’ve see some people reach down and paddle with their hand after the spin. That kind of forces your weight forward and onto your toes, which can help stop spinning and stay in the wave.

I just started landing them this weekend so I am no expert by any means. But what helped me spin a little faster and maintain my balance was to use my off hand to help me spin around.  My right hand sticks down in the water to start the spin then I use my left to help me around. Keeps me balanced and I stay crouched down.  I like you would stand up as I rotated on the 360     This was hard to keep my balance and stay on the wave. This worked for me after about 30 tries. 😁

2 hours ago, Raimie said:

I was getting really frustrated with the 360 again this year. Kept loosing the wave but the spin was great. Monday I gave up on the 360 and decided to try a 180. This really helps you focus on staying in the same spot while spinning. Right after this one I was able to do another 360 which was a little smoother, but I was able to spin in place. Might be worth trying a few times.

Great job Raime!  My wife and I are studying your video in slow mo.

On 7/30/2019 at 8:58 PM, Raimie said:

There is a ton of good tips here.

Practice, practice, practice... I was getting them last year and struggling again this year. What a frustrating trick the 360 can be!

Great thread thanks for pointing it out.