Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Value

Jdubb16

1 hour ago, tbullard said:

I would say that the ballast would be an expected option and not having it could make it harder to sell at book value but I don't think having it is going to raise the value. In my case if I can get a deal on a boat without ballast I might actually prefer that as I can upgrade as budget allows

This. The concern I had looking at boats with big PNP systems already installed was wondering how many of the XXX hours on the boat was it run sacked out with 2 tons of ballast...  I know we all do this but it has to be hard on the hull and power-train.

I bought my boat used with only the stock hard tanks.  It wasn't even plumbed for PNP and I looked at that as a good thing.  It cost me about $1,000 and a few hours time to add plumbing and bags from wakemakers.

Edited by AzAxisA22
6 hours ago, tbullard said:

I am one that could care less about stereo equipment in a boat.

Me too - says the guy who spent $12 bucks on a BT stereo.  Family loves it.  :)  And I can work from the boat since it has phone integration.

What is the best place to list your boat? I know there is onlyoutboards, but is there a better way? 

I too am looking to sell my '06 at the end of the season. 

23 hours ago, kylesullens said:

I think that I'm your prototypical buyer. I bought on 06 23LSV 2 years ago.  choose the 06 because of the style and price point. there were several to choose from in my area that fall,  but I drove over 1k miles to get  the one I wanted.  it wasn't a high option boat (not even a wakesetter) but was meticulously maintained and only 400 hours.  in boats that old , you will not get dollar for dollar returns on the options. I would take a boat with 400 hours over a boat with 700 hours and a $5k stereo.  doesn't matter to the buyer one bit how much your invested in any of it.  if you spent $4k to have the interior redone, you are not going to get$4k more than a comparable boat.

most guys getting the older boats (like me) are budget conscious and are not looking for the greatest upgrades. it's all about condition.  I want the most solid boat I can get for my $. I wil do my own upgrades later.

based on your description of your boat , I would say an end-of-season price would be $47500.  I'm on the west coast so your market may be completely different. but i watch boats in this age range pretty closely since i have one.  

Where did you find the boats you were looking at? Local Dealers or classifieds? 

10 hours ago, timmypop said:

Where did you find the boats you were looking at? Local Dealers or classifieds? 

I am a craigslist junkie.

Recently I have been watching Facebook Marketplace more as it is becoming more established in our area.  I watch BoatTrader and other commercial sites, but most of those listings are dealerships and new boats.

Personally, I don't buy used stuff from dealerships.  They offer minimum $$ on trade and then mark them up a good deal for resale.  I know the dealer has to make money, but I prefer to buy private party.  I know that buying from a dealer is more convenient, especially when you need to finance the purchase, but I avoid it.  Buying private party, you get to meet the prior owner and get an idea of how the boat was used and/or maintained.  I've also found that prices are more negotiable on a private party deal.

Keep an eye on this ebay listing. One of the few times you will see what something actually sells for. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-RESERVE-2007-Malibu-Wakesetter-Ski-Boat-Mastercraft-Tige-Nautique/143338619088

I just sold my old DD. Listed it on Facebook, Craigslist, onlyinboards, and SkiItAgain. Most contacts from facebook, second craigslist. One actual look from facebook, one contact from skiitagain that resulted in a test drive. One contact from onlyinboards that resulted in the sale. Took a long time to sell, but I felt I got a solid price. No one said anything about upgrades. Not that I had any. People were deterred by the couple split seats.

Even though many of us have driven very long distances to buy our dream. Most will not. The guy that finally bought mine said he only found it after he expanded his radius search from 50 to 100 miles after a few months of looking.... I had no other contacts outside of the area.

Research your own market. Then price based on how fast you want to sell. Sounds like you have a bit of a unicorn. So I would price it like one and wait. Another option is to put a real surf tab system on it and list it even higher. Then you have a fully automated surf boat for an affordable price. Even if it is a high price for the year.

13 minutes ago, barefootpaul said:

Even though many of us have driven very long distances to buy our dream. Most will not.

You can add $1500 to the purchase price and then advertise free shipping anywhere in conti-U.S., especially if the boat is centrally located.  That might attract more buyers.  You can get a boat shipped most places for that (it might be more tip to tip); but most people don't want the hassle of even looking into shipping and think it would be cost prohibitive without doing any investigation.  

On 7/31/2019 at 9:20 AM, barefootpaul said:

Keep an eye on this ebay listing. One of the few times you will see what something actually sells for. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-RESERVE-2007-Malibu-Wakesetter-Ski-Boat-Mastercraft-Tige-Nautique/143338619088

Research your own market. Then price based on how fast you want to sell. Sounds like you have a bit of a unicorn. 

The 8.1 was not a rare enough engine to call it a unicorn.  Some big time wakeboarders will not buy anything else, so that is for sure a positive feature.  

The Ebay boat is not in good condition, and I suspect the motor has been replaced, so it only has 15 hours on it.  The same reason that there is sun damage on the steering wheel is likely what caused the motor to fail.  This boat has signs of some significant wear.  The vinyl is a mix and match of brown and gray, so they were too cheap to replace the entire interior at the time it needed it.  I would still watch this boat and if I could check it out thoroughly, I would buy it.  

32 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

The 8.1 was not a rare enough engine to call it a unicorn.  Some big time wakeboarders will not buy anything else, so that is for sure a positive feature.  

The Ebay boat is not in good condition, and I suspect the motor has been replaced, so it only has 15 hours on it.  The same reason that there is sun damage on the steering wheel is likely what caused the motor to fail.  This boat has signs of some significant wear.  The vinyl is a mix and match of brown and gray, so they were too cheap to replace the entire interior at the time it needed it.  I would still watch this boat and if I could check it out thoroughly, I would buy it.  

Also, that’s not a factory tower. Definitely a red flag

1 hour ago, mikeyg said:

Also, that’s not a factory tower. Definitely a red flag

I mentioned that in another thread once, and some fellows jumped on me pointing out that the original Illusion tower of those years did have a habit of breaking without abuse, so some people would not see it as necessarily a sign of abuse.  But taking everything together, it smells like a boat that was beat down pretty hard.  

• Like 1

My "fair deal" price as a buyer would be $41K.  If I acquired for less, I'd pat myself on the back and use the savings to buy new seat skins for the bad seats.  If I bought for more I'd rationalize by asking myself about the opportunity cost of a lost weekend on the lake.  North of $45k is too much given hours.  Don't care how many mods and upgrades you do, it's never getting any fewer hours on it, and joe public cares about the hours.

19 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Don't care how many mods and upgrades you do, it's never getting any fewer hours on it, and joe public cares about the hours.

In my boat I tell the drivers to turn off the "depreciation meter" when sitting, i.e., the engine and consequently the engine clock.  Every time that thing clicks its cash money on the back end.    

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2019 at 1:01 PM, Jdubb16 said:

Ok, I somewhat agree with the stereo, how about the added ballast.  Since many buyers will be looking to surf, having this installed and plumbed do you think this added value.  I really don’t think a family just wanting to pull the grandkids on a tube will be looking at this boat. Onlyinboards did have a few with the 8.1 sell since late 2018 and it looked to get about $3-4K more, between $45-49k so that appears to be my sweet spot

Jdubb, have you listed your boat yet? I just listed mine the other day but its been a decade since selling a boat so I don't know the best sites etc. Have you had any luck with any listing sites yet?

I put mine on FB (inboards buy/sell page and the Malibu/Axis owners page) and only inboards but wonder what else has worked. Thanks,

Sold my 04 25lsv in January after only 3 weeks. Thought it would take longer since winter, but this buyer wanted it before the season to prep. Not that it needed it.  But had low hours, was in great condition, and can fit alot of people. That's all the buyer cared about was hours,condition, and number of people and gear that would fit comfortably. I had upgraded stereo and 10" tower speakers.  He didn't really care about that.  Also, I've known a lot of people lately having problems selling there smaller boats, and the bigger ones are selling more quickly. Seems to be the trend.