Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Recommendations on how to properly use dual batteries

Puddleracer

@phinz, apparently they didn’t read those instructions at the factory.  Mine is mounted to a carpet covered board on the right side of my observers compartment as is every other boat that comes from the factory.  Sorry, don’t have the same boat or I would give you a picture of the mounting location.

ahopkins22LSV

This is probably a dumb question too but, when you guys switch from 1 battery to 1+2 or vice versa do you turn everything off on the boat then switch? Or do you just move the switch? I’ve been turning everything off as I assumed that’s the right method. 

28 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

This is probably a dumb question too but, when you guys switch from 1 battery to 1+2 or vice versa do you turn everything off on the boat then switch? Or do you just move the switch? I’ve been turning everything off as I assumed that’s the right method. 

Not saying I'm right, but I just leave everything on and nothing misses a beat (e.g. stereo, engine).  

Edited by DAI
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Perfectly safe to move between the 1 to 1+2 to the 2 position with the engine or any accessories running. Just dont go through OFF. 

• Like 2

I had ACR installed  so I don't need to switch back and forth,  but the way the ACR works that's not always the case... what do u expect for $100 I guess.. it wint charge both until your above a certain level .. 

Fed up with it, my winter install will need to go bigger batteries and dual batteries in parallel for house, with spare the same as it is now.

When we come back to dock, for clean up kids out of boat I jam full volume at the dock and get only 10 mins or less at full volume before batteries are two low, if i keep engine on maybe 10-15 mins..., lame.... that's with a group 24 1000 CCA battery,  not the biggest I know... if I go dual combined I'm lucky to get 5mins longer .. no ghetto music so not terrilbly thumping sub, mostly AC DC , Aerosmith,  etc.

Not sure what wattage I'm pulling at full blast, guess it's a lot! But it'll start cutting out after 10 mins max..  the neighborhood comes out to jam but then they say oh man it died again.. ha 

Big portion of the problem is I'm probably only ever half way charged. 5-10 min cruise back and forth to sand bar then jam it out till batteries are low then put on the lift, . Need to put another solar charger on the lift for the house batteries to charge when gone 

Edited by The Hulk
On 8/25/2019 at 10:52 PM, The Hulk said:

it wint charge both until your above a certain level .. 

Not sure what ACR you installed or how its wired, but most are setup that the main cranking bank ALWAYS sees alternator charge. If the device did not rely on both input voltage level and house load levels, it would not be a voltage sensing but rather just a solenoid. 

2nd issue is thinking the alternator is going recharge a depleted battery in a short ride back to the dock. Alternators make for poor battery chargers. 

a single group-24 is a REALLY small house bank, so even with a mild house load, its not going to last too many hours at anchor. 

I would consider a larger house bank and a shore charger. 

• Like 3
16 hours ago, MLA said:

Not sure what ACR you installed or how its wired, but most are setup that the main cranking bank ALWAYS sees alternator charge. If the device did not rely on both input voltage level and house load levels, it would not be a voltage sensing but rather just a solenoid. 

2nd issue is thinking the alternator is going recharge a depleted battery in a short ride back to the dock. Alternators make for poor battery chargers. 

a single group-24 is a REALLY small house bank, so even with a mild house load, its not going to last too many hours at anchor. 

I would consider a larger house bank and a shore charger. 

yes i need to upgrade to dual 24s as house or a larger 27/31 size battery as house, need to see what will fit. also as you mentioned i dont drive enough to charge on many weekends, 5-10 mins at most to and from sandbar, its not till we do a relaxing 2hr cruise that i get a good charge. Will hook up a solar charger as well so its charging all week when gone to help compensate, much to do over the winter! boating season about over up here, depression will set in soon. 

On 8/25/2019 at 9:52 PM, The Hulk said:

that's with a group 24 1000 CCA battery,  not the biggest I know... if I go dual combined I'm lucky to get 5mins longer .. no ghetto music so not terrilbly thumping sub, mostly AC DC , Aerosmith,  etc.

Not sure what wattage I'm pulling at full blast, guess it's a lot! But it'll start cutting out after 10 mins max..  the neighborhood comes out to jam but then they say oh man it died again.. ha 

Big portion of the problem is I'm probably only ever half way charged. 5-10 min cruise back and forth to sand bar then jam it out till batteries are low then put on the lift, . Need to put another solar charger on the lift for the house batteries to charge when gone 

I don't think the issue is with ACR.  I'm thinking similar to the other posts

1. that 1000cca looks like a cranking battery.  I would make my house battery a deep cycle.  Follow up is what size, 24, 27, 31 and/or duals.  I agree a 24 is probably too small.  If you end up going dual 31s that will be very big and heavy.  I'll look to others as I'm not a big stereo guy

2. Simple math, you figured out that a short ride can't make up for low batteries.  Answer is some form of shore power and charger(s) to make sure your at 100% when you leave the dock. 

.At least in my fishing boat these onboard chargers have paid for themselves.  Both in not letting the batteries get seriously run down but also as a maintainer throughout the year.  I buy Minnkota but there's others like ProSport.  If you can only do solar power that might limit your options.

Edit - this is assuming that the circuit for your stereo is isolated and routed to the house battery.

Edited by MNNewb
Missed an assumption
1 hour ago, MNNewb said:

I don't think the issue is with ACR.  I'm thinking similar to the other posts

1. that 1000cca looks like a cranking battery.  I would make my house battery a deep cycle.  Follow up is what size, 24, 27, 31 and/or duals.  I agree a 24 is probably too small.  If you end up going dual 31s that will be very big and heavy.  I'll look to others as I'm not a big stereo guy

2. Simple math, you figured out that a short ride can't make up for low batteries.  Answer is some form of shore power and charger(s) to make sure your at 100% when you leave the dock. 

.At least in my fishing boat these onboard chargers have paid for themselves.  Both in not letting the batteries get seriously run down but also as a maintainer throughout the year.  I buy Minnkota but there's others like ProSport.  If you can only do solar power that might limit your options.

Edit - this is assuming that the circuit for your stereo is isolated and routed to the house battery.

yes its a marine battery (cheap one though) and a few years old, plus i've had a few other folks say theirs have died as well so not convinced the brand of batteries is that great either.. anyhow 2-3 years with newer batteries is about all you get, especially when draining low frequent.. 

Radio: ha yes its isolated via 1 or 1+2 switch correctly but i often have to put it on 1+2 to keep the radio going a bit longer!

might just get a new battery bigger this weekend and see how she holds.. 

34 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

yes its a marine battery (cheap one though) and a few years old, plus i've had a few other folks say theirs have died as well so not convinced the brand of batteries is that great either.. anyhow 2-3 years with newer batteries is about all you get, especially when draining low frequent.. 

Radio: ha yes its isolated via 1 or 1+2 switch correctly but i often have to put it on 1+2 to keep the radio going a bit longer!

might just get a new battery bigger this weekend and see how she holds.. 

You are running your too-small-for-your-use-case batteries to full depletion, not recharging them (except maybe with a solar trickle?) and then complaining about the ACR?  How about (a) get a "right-sized" battery bank, and (b) properly maintaining your batteries (i.e. recharging them after use)?

FWIW I've got two group 29s in group 27 boxes in my so-small-the-guy-even-trailers-it-like-he's-a-poor-bassboat-owner 2016 T22, so I'm sure you could fit that same setup under the passenger seat in your boat.  I needed to reconfigure the cleats that hold down the boxes a bit, but there's definitely plenty of room.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

You are running your too-small-for-your-use-case batteries to full depletion, not recharging them (except maybe with a solar trickle?) and then complaining about the ACR?  How about (a) get a "right-sized" battery bank, and (b) properly maintaining your batteries (i.e. recharging them after use)?

FWIW I've got two group 29s in group 27 boxes in my so-small-the-guy-even-trailers-it-like-he's-a-poor-bassboat-owner 2016 T22, so I'm sure you could fit that same setup under the passenger seat in your boat.  I needed to reconfigure the cleats that hold down the boxes a bit, but there's definitely plenty of room.

yea i was going to go group 29 right now and swap plastic box, then worry about adding an additional group 29 this winter, hoping as it stands now it wont require any cleat change and i can be done in 5 mins. 

(no not even recharging them with solar now)! ha i've gotta do something i know its NOT good, and i'm sure i've damaged the battery over time as well to throw fuel on the fire. I know i need more just been lazy.. 

hulk, that's really strange how quickly your battery runs down with music.  i have a cheap duralast deep cycle with 180 reserve capacity, and it will run three amps (1200, 800, 1000) for hours without issue.  i've actually never been out long enough to hear it lose power, and we anchor up for 2-3 hours many times a summer.  i'm sure your sound system is much better, but that's a huge discrepancy in available time no matter what.  my guess is there's something in the charging/relay system that is errantly cutting you off.  for comparison, i only run a 1+2 switch with no ACR.

10 hours ago, jtryon said:

hulk, that's really strange how quickly your battery runs down with music.  

It does not sound like its ever getting fully recharged.  

Your batteries should last a good five years even with lots of use if they are getting hit with a smart charger and fully recharged and conditioned every time out.