Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Add on boarding ladder help?

MustGoFast

A few friends and relatives struggle getting in and out by pushing themselves up onto the swim platform.  Thus my wife wanted me to find some sort of ladder maybe that we could connect to the tow hook (probably) for these instances.

I did some googling and didn't find anything without pretty poor reviews.  Can anyone recommend something they've seen or found helpful?

PS - I don't have the time to make anything so I'm looking commercial - and the ideal solution of putting in the Axis swim ladder on the platform isn't a project I'm going to take on.  Wish we'd have ordered it (I tried to add it after my order was in and confirmed but it was too late and was told I'd lose my build slot and would have missed almost all of last summer so I went without).

Thanks for the help.

I added this style ladder to the swim platform.  When it is folded up it is very low profile so it doesn't ruin the lines of the boat.  

ladder.jpg.07b4cbd699b9b686c1ebeb4769284154.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QLBM9BG/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_t2XpDbBPVF8JC

I too was skeptical about these ladders and if they would be durable.  Three seasons and no issues.  I've even forgot to put the ladder up before cruising a couple times (oops) and it has held up.  I have the 4-step version and it works for everybody.

1 hour ago, kylesullens said:

I added this style ladder to the swim platform.  When it is folded up it is very low profile so it doesn't ruin the lines of the boat.  

ladder.jpg.07b4cbd699b9b686c1ebeb4769284154.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QLBM9BG/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_t2XpDbBPVF8JC

I too was skeptical about these ladders and if they would be durable.  Three seasons and no issues.  I've even forgot to put the ladder up before cruising a couple times (oops) and it has held up.  I have the 4-step version and it works for everybody.

Thanks - but I was really hoping NOT to drill into my swim platform - I guess I'm just afraid I'll break the damn thing :(

I had my dealer install one similar to the one that @kylesullens posted. It wasn’t cheap and they had to put a new pad on the swimplatform but it works very well. 

Many dad and in-laws wouldn’t go out in the boat in the summer without it. My platform is just too high, even with my rear ballast full, for them to get back in the boat without the ladder. 

24 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I had my dealer install one similar to the one that @kylesullens posted. It wasn’t cheap and they had to put a new pad on the swimplatform but it works very well. 

Many dad and in-laws wouldn’t go out in the boat in the summer without it. My platform is just too high, even with my rear ballast full, for them to get back in the boat without the ladder. 

Yeah one of my good friends is a bigger guy w/ a bad shoulder and he had trouble, some of the kids had trouble, and one of my wife's friends did as well so now we're in the market.

If you're willing to PM me what the rate to have your dealer do yours was I'd appreciate it, if not that's OK - I just asked for a quote from mine for the seamless install this offseason and am waiting to hear back.

i also have the same one kylesullens has, the wife has a bad knee and back and just cant pull herself up on the platform any longer.  i put the 4 step one and mounted it under side of the platform. you cannot see it at all. Works great and is holding up very well with 3 seasons on it now. i am not sure if you will find something that doesn't have to be permanently secured /mounted that will be stable enough for the purpose you need it for.

I installed the ladder myself in 15 minutes.  I drilled 4 holes in the swim platform and then sub-countered the holes about 1/4" so the bolt heads woulnd't protrude above the top of the platform.   I drilled through the rubber swim step padding knowing that a GatorStep upgrade was coming soon.  If you don't plan to recover your swim platform, your install options are a bit more laborious.  I've been running with bolt heads visible on my swim platform for a couple seasons now because I haven't gotten around to recovering it with GatorStep.  It hurts my OCD a little bit, but because the heads are subcountered, they are not that noticeable and not a threat to trip or cut anyone's foot.

2 hours ago, MustGoFast said:

Thanks - but I was really hoping NOT to drill into my swim platform - I guess I'm just afraid I'll break the damn thing :(

Understood about not wanting to drill a new boat.

The fiberglass of the swim platform is plenty stout to hold up to the ladder install and any amount of weight you can put on it.  The latter will break long before the fiberglass gives way.

The larger problem for you is that the bolts will be visible on your platform, unless you peel back the existing platform pad.  That wouldn't be an easy process, but it would be worth it to get the ladder installed. 

4 minutes ago, kylesullens said:

I installed the ladder myself in 15 minutes.  I drilled 4 holes in the swim platform and then sub-countered the holes about 1/4" so the bolt heads woulnd't protrude above the top of the platform.   I drilled through the rubber swim step padding knowing that a GatorStep upgrade was coming soon.  If you don't plan to recover your swim platform, your install options are a bit more laborious.  I've been running with bolt heads visible on my swim platform for a couple seasons now because I haven't gotten around to recovering it with GatorStep.  It hurts my OCD a little bit, but because the heads are subcountered, they are not that noticeable and not a threat to trip or cut anyone's foot.

Yeah I already have gator step covering on mine would hate to have to redo it and don't really want to DIY so was really hoping to find some form of rope ladder that wokred (every review says just skip it)... Maybe I'll have the dealer add it on if it's not too painful or maybe their quote will put me back in the DIY mode this fall.

PS - Couldn't I just drill through the gator step as is and then the bolt head would be below that already or do you really ahve to take it off and replace it as I've seen in many of the guides?

Edited by MustGoFast
13 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I've used a ski handle in a pinch for a slight boost up, but if you really need a ladder then you will have to do the poatform drilling thing.  Or this? https://www.westmarine.com/buy/garelick--telescoping-stainless-steel-hook-ladders--P005_158_001_510?recordNum=5

I've never used one of these, but I would rank it right up there with the rope ladder.  No way to secure the hooks to the swim platform, so it would be a bit of a headache.

The ski handle attached to the pylon or grab bar on the stern is a good first step.  That is especially helpful for kids that aren't strong enough to lift themselves onto the platform.   Not much help for folks nursing injuries or old age.

@MustGoFast, I think the local dealer charged around $1000.  Which seems expensive, but it included the cost of the ladder as well as a new pad for the platform.  I'm sure you could do it cheaper yourself but I also didn't want to deal with it.

I know lots of guys ridicule the ladder, but like I said, not everyone in my crew is athletic.  And it shouldn't be a PITA to get back in the boat.  The ladder solves the problem, doesn't interfere with anything, and looks factory.

42 minutes ago, RyanB said:

@MustGoFast, I think the local dealer charged around $1000.  Which seems expensive, but it included the cost of the ladder as well as a new pad for the platform.  I'm sure you could do it cheaper yourself but I also didn't want to deal with it.

I know lots of guys ridicule the ladder, but like I said, not everyone in my crew is athletic.  And it shouldn't be a PITA to get back in the boat.  The ladder solves the problem, doesn't interfere with anything, and looks factory.

Thanks Ryan

51 minutes ago, kylesullens said:

I've never used one of these, but I would rank it right up there with the rope ladder.  No way to secure the hooks to the swim platform, so it would be a bit of a headache.

That ladder goes over the gunwale.  Not the platform.

47 minutes ago, RyanB said:

not everyone in my crew is athletic

Injuries I sorta get, but even my 75 yr old neighbour who comes out with us can get back on the platform.  Technique, not strength.

Edited by Eagleboy99
Spelling
2 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Injuries I sorta get, but even my 75 yr old neighbour who comes out with us can get back on the platform.  Technique, not strength.

Uh, good for your neighbor.  I hope when I'm 75 that I can get out of the water under my own power.   I think you'll find that is the exception rather than the rule.  Most folks who are older or heavier have a hard time getting out of the boat.  I struggle after a hard couple of runs on the wakeboard when my arms are jelly.

The objective of this post was not to determine whether or not it is virtuous to have a device to help folks get in and out of the boat.  The OP was asking for options to accomplish this, and whether it was a DIY project based.

As for the throw-over ladder, I get that it goes over the gunwale.  I would think there would be 2 issues with this: 1) Damaging the seat cushion and/or the gelcoat wherever it is placed.  2) the gunwale climb adds 3' to vertical the distance the poor sap has to travel to get back in the boat.  unless the ladder is long enough to get a foot in the bottom rung, that would be tough even for the more agile crew members. 

This is all in my opinion, which is worth less than the empty space in my gas tank.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not even sure what to say at this point other than.... nothing.  The OP will have to fork out a thousand bucks for a ladder I guess.  After all, it is a B.O.A.T.

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Well maybe you should do a clinic on technique. And teach my 78 year old father who still comes out with me. Or my early 70’s in laws. Or my mid 50’s sister who is out of shape. 

I think it’s crazy to make something like a boat that should be all about fun and enjoyment be about work or “technique”  

And, for the record, to me “BOAT” means “Best Of All Times”. Nothing else. 

Edited by RyanB
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, RyanB said:

Well maybe you should do a clinic on technique. And teach my 78 year old father who still comes out with me. Or my early 70’s in laws. Or my mid 50’s sister who is out of shape. 

I think it’s crazy to make something like a boat that should be all about fun and enjoyment be about work or “technique”  

And, for the record, to me “BOAT” means “Best Of All Times”. Nothing else. 

I am happy you are getting the senior set out.  But if the OP needs a ladder, then he ponies up a BOAT... I mean grand.

This is the ladder I installed on my '14. I liked it because there was no strap to secure it, it had a spring loaded locking mechanism. My young children/arthritic hands mother could easily operate it themselves.

https://www.amazon.com/Garelick-Eez-19643-Platform-Sliding/dp/B00KCFT9DM/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=under+platform+ladder&qid=1564507575&s=gateway&sr=8-4

My '18 has the factory ladder but it was installed by my dealer. It has a strap to secure it. My kids/mom can get it out, but I need to stow it for them as it's a little difficult to secure. Installation is not that difficult if you are somewhat handy and understand countersinking. By far the hardest part was removing the swim platform mat and all the glue.

Wanted to add cost info... my mat was warrantied for peeling up on the edges, so that was $0. Ladder was $150, misc ss hardware $10. I also bought a 3m rubber wheel to attach to a battery powered drill to remove the adhesive. I think that was $15.

IMG_20170514_140041024.jpg

IMG_20170514_140047729_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170514_173728144.jpg

Edited by Raimie
  • Like 3
On 7/29/2019 at 10:47 AM, MustGoFast said:

A few friends and relatives struggle getting in and out by pushing themselves up onto the swim platform.  Thus my wife wanted me to find some sort of ladder maybe that we could connect to the tow hook (probably) for these instances.

I did some googling and didn't find anything without pretty poor reviews.  Can anyone recommend something they've seen or found helpful?

PS - I don't have the time to make anything so I'm looking commercial - and the ideal solution of putting in the Axis swim ladder on the platform isn't a project I'm going to take on.  Wish we'd have ordered it (I tried to add it after my order was in and confirmed but it was too late and was told I'd lose my build slot and would have missed almost all of last summer so I went without).

Thanks for the help.

I have a ladder for a 2010 23 LSV if you want to buy and install. I don't know if it will work on other platforms as it comes out from side and mounts underneath to the platform brace. It does not require the removal of the pad to install. If interested I can get some pics and dimensions for you