Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Add on boarding ladder help?

MustGoFast

If anyone is doing this install I would suggest using a stainless jack nut for the install. They are a blind threaded insert that expands on the blind side with several options of grip area and for thickness of material that add support so they can't pull through as easy. Ebay and Amazon both have them and if you're lucky the local Fastenal should also have them in stainless. I'd also epoxy/JB Weld them in during the install so they are really locked into place.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2022 at 3:16 PM, MadCan said:

Awesome! I already grabbed all the hardware needed and hopefully will be picking the boat up next weekend.

How did it work on the T250? We just bought the T250 and ordered an aftermarket 4 step ladder to install. Ladder came with lag bolts and I’m worried if it fails it is going to damage the power wedge if it’s mounted in the center of the platform.
Any thoughts?

58 minutes ago, LeeT250 said:

How did it work on the T250? We just bought the T250 and ordered an aftermarket 4 step ladder to install. Ladder came with lag bolts and I’m worried if it fails it is going to damage the power wedge if it’s mounted in the center of the platform.
Any thoughts?

I ended up through bolting it. The dealer was supposed to order it with the step pad not installed so when it arrived and the pad was on he got his hands on a new one from another T250 getting gator step. So I just removed the pad and through bolted the ladder. Then installed the new pad. Had plenty of clearance between the bottom of the step and the wedge. Worked out great going that route but can’t report on inserts. Kids love it since the step is so far out when there’s no ballast. This is the one I installed. 

3FCE7109-C7C1-42EE-B284-D1F7C1880DF0.png

On 8/26/2022 at 5:30 PM, MadCan said:

I ended up through bolting it. The dealer was supposed to order it with the step pad not installed so when it arrived and the pad was on he got his hands on a new one from another T250 getting gator step. So I just removed the pad and through bolted the ladder. Then installed the new pad. Had plenty of clearance between the bottom of the step and the wedge. Worked out great going that route but can’t report on inserts. Kids love it since the step is so far out when there’s no ballast. This is the one I installed. 

3FCE7109-C7C1-42EE-B284-D1F7C1880DF0.pngThat is the same ladder I used. Been solid for 3 years now. Getting harder to find now.

That is the one I used. Been perfect for 3 years now.

Edited by dalt1
On 7/30/2019 at 12:39 PM, Raimie said:

This is the ladder I installed on my '14. I liked it because there was no strap to secure it, it had a spring loaded locking mechanism. My young children/arthritic hands mother could easily operate it themselves.

https://www.amazon.com/Garelick-Eez-19643-Platform-Sliding/dp/B00KCFT9DM/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=under+platform+ladder&qid=1564507575&s=gateway&sr=8-4

My '18 has the factory ladder but it was installed by my dealer. It has a strap to secure it. My kids/mom can get it out, but I need to stow it for them as it's a little difficult to secure. Installation is not that difficult if you are somewhat handy and understand countersinking. By far the hardest part was removing the swim platform mat and all the glue.

Wanted to add cost info... my mat was warrantied for peeling up on the edges, so that was $0. Ladder was $150, misc ss hardware $10. I also bought a 3m rubber wheel to attach to a battery powered drill to remove the adhesive. I think that was $15.

IMG_20170514_140041024.jpg

IMG_20170514_140047729_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170514_173728144.jpg

Have you had any problems with yours? Just drilled 1/4 holes in swim platform and worried the bolt head, which is 1/2 is going to pull thru the swim platform with 250+ people using it.

10 hours ago, LeeT250 said:

Have you had any problems with yours? Just drilled 1/4 holes in swim platform and worried the bolt head, which is 1/2 is going to pull thru the swim platform with 250+ people using it.

If you thru bolt it, you should 100% still utilize the process of scraping out some of the foam and packing with epoxy putty to prevent pulling through the platform. Also, use the adhesive mentioned above on the entire mounting surface of the ladder. This will help to reduce the load on the bolt heads.

1 hour ago, Raimie said:

If you thru bolt it, you should 100% still utilize the process of scraping out some of the foam and packing with epoxy putty to prevent pulling through the platform. Also, use the adhesive mentioned above on the entire mounting surface of the ladder. This will help to reduce the load on the bolt heads.

@LeeT250 I should have answered your question as well..no issues, mine is extremely solid. Large people have been using it ~250lbs.

• 7 months later...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374560723560

In case anyone else is also looking to do this project, I found the same ladder on eBay. I’ve been watching for it on Amazon for a while but it seems it’s not come back in stock. It’s about $90 on eBay. 

Looked very seriously at several other brands, some of which were upward of $300. Nearly purchased one thinking it might be of better quality, but re-read a few of the posts on here and it seems others that have used this brand have had good success over several years without issue. 

14 hours ago, Hamboats said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374560723560

In case anyone else is also looking to do this project, I found the same ladder on eBay. I’ve been watching for it on Amazon for a while but it seems it’s not come back in stock. It’s about $90 on eBay. 

Looked very seriously at several other brands, some of which were upward of $300. Nearly purchased one thinking it might be of better quality, but re-read a few of the posts on here and it seems others that have used this brand have had good success over several years without issue. 

Amazing what you can find at Walmart on line. That is the ladder I installed back in 2019, still works great. Just sold the boat and am going another direction for my next one.

• 3 months later...

OK I've decided to start this same project.  I'm planning on using the thru bolt method and countersinking the holes on the top side of the swim platform.  I'm not going to remove the gatorstep, I'm just going to drill thru it.  The bolt color will match the gatorstep color close enough that I'm not willing to spend hours scraping off the pad and reinstalling.  I just want to make sure that the bolts are flush against the surface.

The ladder I have uses 8 bolts (4 on each side).

Some people mentioned using an adhesive on the ladder bracket so that the force of large people is not pulling only on the bolts.  What kind of adhesive is best for this purpose?

Also, how much of the foam did you remove on the interior of the holes?  Just a few millimeters?  1/2 inch?  Not sure how much foam to remove before putting in the epoxy putty.

Edited by platon20

I found this boat ladder online which seems way better than the other options.  It has  4 step option but it also has handles that swing into position when you pull out the ladder, plus it has a plate with locking mechanism that keeps the ladder stowed while under way.

Here's the catch, you have to ship it from Italy and it costs almost $1000.... ouch  

https://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/nautinox/product-23300-474439.html

Edited by platon20
On 7/29/2023 at 3:16 PM, platon20 said:

Also, how much of the foam did you remove on the interior of the holes?

I used a small allen wrench(maybe 1/8 or 3/16") held on the long end in a drill. Sick the small end ell shape in the hole and cored out foam.

Edited by dalt1
On 7/29/2023 at 9:07 PM, platon20 said:

I found this boat ladder online which seems way better than the other options.  It has  4 step option but it also has handles that swing into position when you pull out the ladder, plus it has a plate with locking mechanism that keeps the ladder stowed while under way.

Here's the catch, you have to ship it from Italy and it costs almost $1000.... ouch  

https://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/nautinox/product-23300-474439.html

That looks sturdy.  Are you concerned that the handles will drag during surfing and affect the wave (wash)? 

2 hours ago, rennis said:

That looks sturdy.  Are you concerned that the handles will drag during surfing and affect the wave (wash)? 

Other reviews said it didnt affect the wave at all. 

Sadly however I can't use that ladder because it's too deep and would interfere with the wedge.  

So I'm going to use the other ladder without the handles

2 hours ago, dalt1 said:

I used a small allen wrench(maybe 1/8 or 3/16") held on the long end in a drill. Sick the small end ell shape in the hole and cored out foam.

OK thanks.

I'm going to use thru bolt method but I want to use an insert in the swim platform that goes thru the whole thickness of the platform.  That way I can create a better seal in the hole to reduce water intrusion.  My steps are as follows:

1.  Drill the hole with oversize bit

2.  Remove foam

3.  Apply epoxy putty

4.  Put in bolt insert

5.  Screw in bolt thru insert and into ladder frame.

My main issue is that I can't find inserts that are long enough, the swim platform on my boat is over 2.5" thick and the inserts I can find are all 1.5 or less.

On 8/2/2023 at 11:04 AM, platon20 said:

OK thanks.

I'm going to use thru bolt method but I want to use an insert in the swim platform that goes thru the whole thickness of the platform.  That way I can create a better seal in the hole to reduce water intrusion.  My steps are as follows:

1.  Drill the hole with oversize bit

2.  Remove foam

3.  Apply epoxy putty

4.  Put in bolt insert

5.  Screw in bolt thru insert and into ladder frame.

My main issue is that I can't find inserts that are long enough, the swim platform on my boat is over 2.5" thick and the inserts I can find are all 1.5 or less.

If you are going to through bolt, why overthink it?  You don't say what size bolt you need, but you can probably buy a stainless binding post that has the correct thread.

1. Drill through for fastener size clearance
  2. Test fit item and trim through bolt lengths if needed
  3. Drill from top for binding post size, just deep enough for post clearance
  4. Goop inside of holes with 5200 sealant; insert binding posts
  5. Goop inside bottom of holes with 5200 sealant; mount item using bolts
  6. Tighten the fasteners; let the 5200 cure

If you must have an insert all the way through, cut some tube and insert it from the top with the binding post above it.  If you get it too long, you will not be able to tighten the fasteners against the fiberglass correctly and it will wallow out the hole and leak.  If you get it too short, it doesn't do anything for you and you could have left it out.  Just leave it out.