Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Add on boarding ladder help?

MustGoFast

17 hours ago, MustGoFast said:

Thanks for all the advice think I got what I needed.  Break out the $ or get the DIY going there's no miracle rope worth a grain of sand 

You can maybe rope it as well ;)... could probably engineer one yourself that attaches to the rear tow bar and roll it out when needed :) 

@MustGoFast I recently saw a ladder install just like mine where they did not remove the platform pad. I have to say, it really didn't look that bad at all. Their logic was to make it easy/fast/simple, then just replace the pad down the road when it was necessary. At that time you could remove the ladder, remove the pad, reinstall the ladder and put the new pad over it for the more finished look.

I have to think that surgically removing a couple of circles of the pad to allow through bolting would end up being hardly noticeable.  Pop the circles back in after of course.

Edited by Eagleboy99
No reason
7 hours ago, Raimie said:

@MustGoFast I recently saw a ladder install just like mine where they did not remove the platform pad. I have to say, it really didn't look that bad at all. Their logic was to make it easy/fast/simple, then just replace the pad down the road when it was necessary. At that time you could remove the ladder, remove the pad, reinstall the ladder and put the new pad over it for the more finished look.

Thanks going to check that thread out

8 hours ago, Raimie said:

I just love how these threads bring out the ladder on an inboard haters. Most of the time it's people with older v-drives or DD's that have platforms that sit right at water level even when the boat is empty. They don't understand that modern surf-gate equipped boats have platforms that sit 6-8 inches above the water. Sometimes mine is even higher (~10-12") when people are in the bow. I don't want to have to ask people get up from their chilling spot in the bow to walk to the back of the boat so my 67 year old mother with 2 knee replacements can climb back in the boat after a swim.

If you want a ladder, you don't need to justify it to anyone. If it suits your family and your situation, install one. You will love it, I promise. It doesn't have any effect on the wake, makes boarding easy, and makes for more enjoyment for kids, older people or those with disabilities/handicaps.

This made me laugh out loud.  I have a DD Sunsetter, and the water laps over the platform when the boat is still.  I have had guests that can't "technique" themselves onto it without a lot of help.  Luckily, they have had teenage boys that I put on the task of helping mom in.  That's usually enough motivation for the technique to suddenly improve.

I had never thought of using a ski handle as a step, but I'll try it next time. 

And I agree with Raimie.  If you want to nail old shipping pallets to your platform for a better wake or use your boat for part-time shrimping, go ahead and do it.  It's your boat!  A ladder certainly shouldn't be an issue. 

• Like 2

I too didn’t want to drill into the swim step with new gatordeck on it. I have tried those flimsy rope ladders all of which go under the boat when someone steps on them. I just recently got this ladder which is sold for use on an inflatable boat to drape over the side. It’s hinged so it folds easy into the bow. The ladder is rigid and actually works. I just double the rope over the middle of the rear transom grab rail and rest the ladder against the middle outside edge of the swim platform. The ladder because of the hinge which locks solid doesn’t go under the boat. I tested it on a person who had little upper body strength it worked perfectly for her. I looked around and got a better price can’t remember where. Get the three rung model the two rung wasn’t tall enough.

https://www.amazon.com/Garelick-Eez-13003-Inflatable-Ladder/dp/B002FVIDXS/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=garelick+inflatable+boat+ladder&qid=1564633059&s=gateway&sprefix=garelick+inflabale+bost+ladder&sr=8-2

Edited by Packrat
Edit
  • 2 weeks later...

I did the exact same thing as Raime.  Amazon 3-step ladder.  Works great.  Have used it all summer.  Left it down once or twice on accident before taking off.  Makes a pretty splash when on plane!.  No issues.

My mom (76) comes with us every so often.  Makes it easier for her to get in/out so she can swim with the kids.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GR4FZZX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OK, I feel like I was the original "install a ladder, its quick and easy" guy.  I was slightly concerned about how well the fiberglass swim deck would hold the bolts that secured the ladder.  Well, this week I found the answer - about 2 years.

Out on the water this weekend, I used the ladder to haul my 200lb arse out of the water and POP, two of the bolts pulled through the fiberglass.  No real damage to the swim deck other than the holes are now slightly larger.

I pulled the swim deck off and removed the ladder bracket.  Pulled the remaining bolts out and used silicon sealant to fill the holes that were left.

Did some engineering work to design a mount that would attach to the swim deck support strut.  Took my strut, ladder bracket, and my drawing to the machine shop and they did this for me.

I will get it painted and re-installed this afternoon and post an updated photo.

20190820_083205.jpg

20190820_083214.jpg

20190820_083155.jpg

Finished product.

If I did it again, I would offset (toward the center) the ladder bracket on the platform support.  As it is, the folded up ladder sticks past the platform a couple inches.  Not a big deal, but easily remedied.

The ladder bracket is easily removed from the modified platform support so that when the ladder breaks or wears out, I can simply replace it with a new one.

I'll check back in when I have some hours on the water to let you know if there is any spray or if it screws with the wave at all.

If anyone else is interested in this, I can share the schematic that I drew which was used for this modification.  Or I can put you in touch with my local machine shop.  The shipping would cost, but I think this is the solution to the ladder on the wakeboat problem.

20190820_125059.jpg

20190820_125415.jpg

20190820_125422.jpg

20190820_125442.jpg

20190820_125452.jpg

1 minute ago, kylesullens said:

Yes, very much a novice.  But we dabble.

With where it is at, I'm afraid its going to kill the regular side wave as it drags in the water.  I raised my 2004 swim deck with a 2x4 to help keep the platform out of the water (mine is teak, little smoother bottom than the fiberglass.  If my swim platform cut in at all, it caused some spay and hurt the wave.  

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

So I guess if you want a ladder in the middle you'd have to weld a bridge between the  platform supports?

that was my other option, but that would interfere with the FAE (which is in a box next to the boat). 

another option i considered was making the whole thing removable using a couple of retainer pins. so you could remove it when surfing .  we will how it performs. 

Isn't the FAE tucked hard up to the stern?  So when the Wedge is deployed it does not interfere?  The removable thing sound workable but a bit of a PITA.  Buy extra cotter pins for on-water changes. :)

6 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Nice work.  Some added ballast with all that glass.

Yes,  8 layers and 1/2 gallon of resin.

1 minute ago, Catman said:

Yes,  8 layers and 1/2 gallon of resin.

Pro job though.  Like Dadd used to say "Any job worth doing is worth overdoing"

Edited by Eagleboy99
17 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

How does the factory reinforce its install?

I had emailed Malibu about this on my 2014 23 LSV in 2016.  I never actually did the project but here was the response.  I assume not much has changed since 2014 but I could be wrong.

"The swim step should be strong enough if the ladder is installed properly. The core of the swim step is a type of foam core that has resin saturated in it and fiberglass structure around the outside. So when you drill through you should start drilling first into Gel coat, then fiberglass, then the foam core/resin then fiberglass again on the bottom side.

We install through bolts from under the pad so yes the pad will need to be lifted up and usually replaced. We use 6 stainless ¼” bolts with locking nuts to through bolt the ladder to the swim step. As long as the holes are not countersunk too deep there should be no issues."

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Catman said:

I did not like the factory step on the side of the swim step and wanted one in the center. I researched here on the forum and copied another member(sorry I don’t remember who). I purchased a 3 step ladder and fabricated a stainless steel support frame, then fiberglassed it on. I’m not a professional fiberglass person, but it has held up well.  Including the ladder purchase, I have $180 in it.

AA2FE1C3-857D-4205-8833-A89DAFFAF748.jpeg

Do you have a link to this ladder?  Many have a bar on the back of the mounting frame that I think would not work with boats with a surf pipe.  This one might work with boats with a surf pipe.