Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Has anyone had cracking to the fiberglass and gelcoat in the hull? Local shop did a repair and 1 trip out and it's back, only worse now. They are now saying that it may be a broken stringer that is causing it.... Does this sound right?? Has anyone else had similar issues??

If it is more than spider cracks (usually gel too thick), then you got a big problem.  Fiberglass cracks are dangerous.

Edited by Eagleboy99
Spelling

it is just behind the drivers seat but in front of the wheel while on the trailer. Looks like a tracking ridge(?)  under the water line. 

10 hours ago, Axisspawn said:

it is just behind the drivers seat but in front of the wheel while on the trailer. Looks like a tracking ridge(?)  under the water line. 

How did they fix it?  Did they cut out the area, reinforce with fiberglass cloth, gel coat, or did they just use a gel coat filler?  Hard to diagnose without knowing more about it.  I've done quite a bit of glass work over the years and if it is on a point that flexes, just using gel coat as a filler likely won't be enough.  Any pictures?

I think your right they did not reinforce with fiberglass cloth. I try up load pic ,but forgot how to do it on this site.

ahopkins22LSV
5 hours ago, Axisspawn said:

I think your right they did not reinforce with fiberglass cloth. I try up load pic ,but forgot how to do it on this site.

Become a supporting member and directly upload pictures from your phone or computer or use a third party hosting site.

Wow, that is pretty nasty.  Sure looks like impact on something with one area pushed-in.  I can't imagine they just tried to fill that with gel coat?

Needs to be cut out/well sanded out several inches on all sides down to the glass/past the gel coat, patched with cloth, holes filled in with either resin or resin/micro-balloons under the cloth...  Perhaps more than one layer. 

It is not a difficult looking job, but one you probably want done by a pro who can walk you through what they are going to do and who is going to properly reinforce it.  

• Like 1

I did take the boat to A" PRO"  NICE  The local shop start say the stringer is damage. They send the boat to  fiberglass shop. I have appt in few days. Go from there.

13 hours ago, Axisspawn said:

I did take the boat to A" PRO"  NICE  The local shop start say the stringer is damage. They send the boat to  fiberglass shop. I have appt in few days. Go from there.

Sounds like the right move.  There are few things like this that can't be fixed properly.

The stringers in these boats are not like conventional ones. If it so bad that the interior structure is a damaged (I doubt it) then the boat is a write off.  I have seen far worse repaired to the point where you could not tell.