Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Spare impeller reminder

BlindSquirrel

Don’t forget to have a spare impeller on board regardless of how new/ old your tug is. My brothers impeller blew up on his new 25 lsv with 8 hours on it today. I said, no sweat... I have a spare. Turns out the m6 has a different impeller than my 350 has. :rant:

Edited by BlindSquirrel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Uh, I guess I should look but I assumed it was the same one.  I am carrying my old spare around.  Anyone got a part number for the M6?

I do!!!!! Sherwood 15000a is what it says on it. Although, I’m not having much luck finding anyone online that sells them.

Edited by BlindSquirrel
43 minutes ago, Leftlane said:

I have an 18 23 LSV - how easy is it to change this out?

Little tight to use my puller. Need to cut off the threaded part a bit before next change this fall. Other than that, easier than my 06 and 12 Monsoons.

1 hour ago, Leftlane said:

I have an 18 23 LSV - how easy is it to change this out?

Just l ow the part number being discussed here for the M6 is not what your 2018 takes.  

On the 2018, access the pump from the swim deck after pulling the two trays out.  And depending on where the blower is located it may help free up space to unscrew it and drop it down so you have a bit more room.   At least that is how I did it on the Raptor motor.  

11 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

I do!!!!! Sherwood 15000a is what it says on it. Although, I’m not having much luck finding anyone online that sells them.

Agreed, I can’t find much on what you or @Sparky450 provided online.  If anyone finds something, let me post it up.   I emailed my dealer as well.  

@hethj7 this impeller looks like the same as my 07. However, I could not find any of my spares from my 07 to compare it. That is my spare now. But at my 10 hr service I bought 2 spares and the dealer had them in stock. 

• 4 months later...
On 7/28/2019 at 7:16 PM, dalt1 said:

Little tight to use my puller. Need to cut off the threaded part a bit before next change this fall. Other than that, easier than my 06 and 12 Monsoons.

I have had good success using two phillips head screw drivers on either side of the impellor and "lever pinching" it out (not sure how else to describe it). Took a moment to figure out the trick but it comes out pretty easy once you have it down and it seems pretty versatile for tighter spaces. I have an 08 monsoon so I know the pain of trying to get back to that impellor.

I have to change mine when I winterize. No hurry, my shop is 50 degrees. Last year, I used a needle nose pliers. Worked well. I have the PCM H6 wih is prolly close to the M6.

Edited by carguy79ta
On 7/27/2019 at 9:02 PM, BlindSquirrel said:

Don’t forget to have a spare impeller on board regardless of how new/ old your tug is. My brothers impeller blew up on his new 25 lsv with 8 hours on it today. I said, no sweat... I have a spare. Turns out the m6 has a different impeller than my 350 has. :rant:

Had to change mine on the water...40 hours (at the time) on a 2019 with the M5.  Almost no room to get that thing in and out.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, Dock4 said:

Had to change mine on the water...40 hours (at the time) on a 2019 with the M5.  Almost no room to get that thing in and out.

Did yours at least have the updated motor cover? We couldn’t get his off until the motor cooled enough to take the coolant reservoir lid off, to take the cover off... 

5 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Did yours at least have the updated motor cover? We couldn’t get his off until the motor cooled enough to take the coolant reservoir lid off, to take the cover off... 

I am going to enlarge that hole on mine so I can pull the cover if required.

54 minutes ago, Dock4 said:

I am guessing you were dealing with a heater equipped boat also. The hoses are right in the way which makes it a PITA.

13 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Not sure if mine is updated or not.  But I was able to remove the plastic cover without unscrewing the coolant lid.

I did have to wait for the engine to cool down before swapping.  Also had a fun time with all the paint on the nuts.

To top it off, had the wife and 2 young kids in the boat.  Tied up to a dock in a wake zone.  It seems this would never happen when I'm near a lift.

Edited by Dock4
3 minutes ago, wdr said:

I am guessing you were dealing with a heater equipped boat also. The hoses are right in the way which makes it a PITA.

Correct.  Not an easy procedure at all.  But doable on the water, thankfully. 

On 12/6/2019 at 9:21 AM, wdr said:

I am going to enlarge that hole on mine so I can pull the cover if required

If I remember correctly. This is something the dealers are suppose to do when they go in for service. It can get in the way of the coolant cap tightening down all the way. Causing a leak. I cut mine bigger myself. 

Edited by Sparky450
5 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

If I remember correctly. This is something the dealers are suppose to do when they go in for service. It can get in the way of the coolant cap tightening down all the way. Causing a leak. I cut mine bigger myself. 

Might explain why I have a coolant leak that can’t be found. I stripped my boat including the cover before I took it down for them to find the leak. It was pressure tested and I was told “they couldn’t find the leak and I would probably have to bring it back in at a later date to be lake tested”. Let’s wait for boating season so I can go without it for a couple weeks. Good call, WTH!

13 hours ago, wdr said:

Let’s wait for boating season so I can go without it for a couple weeks.

Mine came back from the 10 hr service with a leak. 

And that is exactly how I diagnosed it. I carved mine out just big enough to fit over the cap.