Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

6’3”, 270lb - surf board recommendation

Dock4

I searched for this and only found older threads. Thinking maybe technology has changed a little. 

I’m a beginner surfing on my new ‘19 23LSV. I have a Hyperlite Landlock that I can hit the pocket with it rope less, but it’s a canoe. Any suggestions for my size and skill level? Anything I should try when I advance? I don’t care about the price range really. Just want to do it the right way. 

I would have a custom made by Soulcraft, they will fit it to you.  There are other board builders, I just had a good experience with them as have many others on this site.

Soulcraft would be a great option.  They can make you a custom board to fit you, and it will be as fast as a big board can be, but it will take several weeks.  I put big guys on a Ronix Koal Classic, which is a great board for anyone, but not sure how the speed compares to the Landlock.  That said, the Ronix is fragile (Soulcraft will be even more fragile).  I'll bet a Phase 5 Kong or Doctor would work and might be more durable.  You could call Phase 5 and ask them what would be best for 270#.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2019 at 9:12 AM, MystiikVLX said:

Dock,

I see your in OHio. Where do you boat/surf at?

Most the summer the boat is in Michigan. But when we tow it home, Caesars Creek is where we surf. What about you?  

So we've gotten several larger guys up on our new-to-us victoria captain.  One friend of mine is 6'4" and about 250.  He has always struggled on other boards (for years and years and years).  He finally could catch the wave behind our T22 last year on the CWB tsunami, but only if he stayed in a very narrow pocket.  He came out over the weekend and was able to do some real carving and slashing for the first time and even recovered from pretty far back.  He's still very much a newb, but this board is so much better for expanding the ceiling for novice ropeless riders of the larger than average variety.  Really glad we picked it up.  For reference, ours is the L, not the XL.  On the racks it doesn't look all that much bigger than my size medium victoria factor PCX (about an inch longer and more width, especially through the tail).

Edited by shawndoggy
On 7/26/2019 at 4:04 AM, ScottinOk said:

I am bigger than you.  I ride a Chaos ringer XXL.  it is a great board. 

I love my chaos ringer. ( I am 6'3" 220) but enjoy the board way more with my 50lb son between my legs! I would highly recommend!

I ordered the Phase 5 Doctor (57").  It seems to have plenty of float, but I couldn't hit the pocket.  I emailed them to see if they have another board I should try.

Seems like the Chaos Ringer XXL and the Victoria Captian are my next options.  This is getting out of hand lol.

40 minutes ago, Dock4 said:

I ordered the Phase 5 Doctor (57").  It seems to have plenty of float, but I couldn't hit the pocket.  I emailed them to see if they have another board I should try.

Seems like the Chaos Ringer XXL and the Victoria Captian are my next options.  This is getting out of hand lol.

I think the Kong is the big guy board Phase 5 offers.  I have a Chaos Ringer XXL but have a Victoria Captain XL on my radar for a second board.

+1 for Inland Surfer Red Rocket.  I'm 6'5" ~245 and was riding ropeless this weekend with my 9yo 85lb daughter (who can ride on her own but still likes to ride with her dad every now and then :thumbup:).  

I'm planning on getting a custom at some point, but I've also had several new riders on the Red Rocket and it seems to be pretty durable and easy to learn on so it will likely stay on the boat.

• Like 1
On 8/5/2019 at 1:04 PM, Dock4 said:

I'm 6 ft, 280 and have both a phase 5 trident and victoria captain xl.  Both boards are great skim style for a big guy.  Beginner to intermediate, I'd go with the trident.  Intermediate to advanced, I'd maybe lean Captain, but trident is no slouch. With single fin setup on both, the trident is a more stable board and a tad faster down the line.  I can recover from a little farther back on it vs the captain. I really cant quite throw my weight at the captain like I can on the trident....probably just my skill level.  I look forward to getting better on the captain, but I keep going back to the trident and ride it more often. The captain is quite loose and a bit shorter in length.  I even put a phase 5, 2 inch fin on the captain (same fin I have on the trident) to ease myself into the loose feel.  Captain is easy to break free for spins and more advanced skills but will probably be tougher to handle for a beginner.  The trident will drive down the line a little better, recover easier and has more pop for some air (not that skims are great at airs.) The trident will also spin, just requires more effort.  Hope that helps if you are looking at skim style for a big guy.

Edit:  I have a 2017 model trident.  They changed the 2019 model design to a slight stub nose and bat tail.  I'd love to ride one to see the difference, but have not had the opportunity yet.

Edited by bovhica
  • Like 2

I'm 250 and Have both a P5 Doctor and Trident.  Love them both.  Just got the Trident a couple weeks ago and am learning the world of skim.  

On 8/7/2019 at 11:51 PM, bovhica said:

I'm 6 ft, 280 and have both a phase 5 trident and victoria captain xl.  Both boards are great skim style for a big guy.  Beginner to intermediate, I'd go with the trident.  Intermediate to advanced, I'd maybe lean Captain, but trident is no slouch. With single fin setup on both, the trident is a more stable board and a tad faster down the line.  I can recover from a little farther back on it vs the captain. I really cant quite throw my weight at the captain like I can on the trident....probably just my skill level.  I look forward to getting better on the captain, but I keep going back to the trident and ride it more often. The captain is quite loose and a bit shorter in length.  I even put a phase 5, 2 inch fin on the captain (same fin I have on the trident) to ease myself into the loose feel.  Captain is easy to break free for spins and more advanced skills but will probably be tougher to handle for a beginner.  The trident will drive down the line a little better, recover easier and has more pop for some air (not that skims are great at airs.) The trident will also spin, just requires more effort.  Hope that helps if you are looking at skim style for a big guy.

Edit:  I have a 2017 model trident.  They changed the 2019 model design to a slight stub nose and bat tail.  I'd love to ride one to see the difference, but have not had the opportunity yet.

Did you have any trouble going ropeless on the Trident before you added GSA?

34 minutes ago, AzAxisA22 said:

Did you have any trouble going ropeless on the Trident before you added GSA?

I didn't have any problems at all.  The pocket was a bit shorter with less push at the back of the wave with a suckgate, but it was very surfable,  just a bit closer to the boat.  We had our wave dialed with a suckgate.  Roughly same amount of ballast we run with GSA...with only placement and front to back ratios for each setup being different.  The GSA wave is superior, IMHO, but we surfed for a few years with a suckgate and had a very solid wave.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Ended up with a Victoria Captain XL. Surfed it yesterday and it definitely can hold me. Now just need to improve my surfing skills so I can take advantage of it. 

• Like 4