Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Popped out of my wakeboard boots.

HeavyCrew

Anyone ever crash hard enough to get the wakeboard jerked off your feet?   Is this common?  I had it happen last weekend while working on toeside jumps.  I didn’t think it was possible to crash awkwardly enough to get the boots pulled off both my feet.  Headache went away quickly, but my right foot still hurts like heck.  Am I a complete one-off moron, or can this happen to anyone?

Depends on the bindings. What are you using? The beginner bindings tend to release but the more advanced bindings “shouldn’t”.

If I come out of a binding, I doubt my foot would still be attached. Lol

Just to be on the safe side, If you had a headache as a result, I would give it a week or two before you hit the water again. 

Some like to ride with loose bindings. It can minimize the impact of a concussion if both feet come out. The downside is if only one foot comes out, you risk ligament or bone injuries. My advice would be to tighten them up and back off a little!

9 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

Depends on the bindings. What are you using? The beginner bindings tend to release but the more advanced bindings “shouldn’t”.

If I come out of a binding, I doubt my foot would still be attached. Lol

We’re using Ronix Divide boots; basically fits multiple larger foot sizes.  From what you’re telling me, I gotta get boots that fit my feet only.  I’m surprised I didn’t break bones in my foot.  I thought I handled it well, but my son noticed I was limping a little this week.  Never want that to happen again.

3 minutes ago, mikeyg said:

Just to be on the safe side, If you had a headache as a result, I would give it a week or two before you hit the water again. 

Some like to ride with loose bindings. It can minimize the impact of a concussion if both feet come out. The downside is if only one foot comes out, you risk ligament or bone injuries. My advice would be to tighten them up and back off a little!

My wife says I’m getting too old to go at it hard. She’s probably right, but man it feels good when I can impress my kids and encourage them to challenge themselves a little each time we hit the lake. Thank you for the advice...

• Like 1

You're *supposed to* come out of your bindings, it's a safety thing. If you can't come out of your bindings you're setting yourself up for more serious injury. My brother destroyed his ankle and heel because he over-tightened his bindings and didn't come out in a really bad crash. He's got to get cortisone shots in his ankle every few months because the cartilage is totally destroyed. Watch videos of the pro riders training (not competition) and you'll see that they come out of their bindings all the time. Competition is different, there is a water rescue crew there and the difference between landing with a foot halfway out of binding and not landing in your binding could be a podium vs DNF.

3 minutes ago, mikeo said:

You're *supposed to* come out of your bindings, it's a safety thing. If you can't come out of your bindings you're setting yourself up for more serious injury. My brother destroyed his ankle and heel because he over-tightened his bindings and didn't come out in a really bad crash. He's got to get cortisone shots in his ankle every few months because the cartilage is totally destroyed. Watch videos of the pro riders training (not competition) and you'll see that they come out of their bindings all the time. Competition is different, there is a water rescue crew there and the difference between landing with a foot halfway out of binding and not landing in your binding could be a podium vs DNF.

I like your perspective for two reasons...

1) I don’t feel like a complete moron anymore.

2) I can save a few bucks, or at least spend it on something other than new boots. 

My wife might lose her mind if I get a serious injury.  Nobody needs that. 

• Like 1

I can't speak for your bindings or most of the newer style bindings as I refuse to upgrade. But, it used to be a joke between riders when putting your board on "My bindings are still laced up, you know what that means".

If I take a hard edge, I want my feet to come out. It can dramatically help the force of which you hit the water...

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2019 at 8:54 PM, HeavyCrew said:

Anyone ever crash hard enough to get the wakeboard jerked off your feet?   Is this common?  I had it happen last weekend while working on toeside jumps.  I didn’t think it was possible to crash awkwardly enough to get the boots pulled off both my feet.  Headache went away quickly, but my right foot still hurts like heck.  Am I a complete one-off moron, or can this happen to anyone?

Welcome to the club!

stupid common and usually the result of going for it with bad form and not a progressive edge,  I’ve done it on a heal side jump and landing with bad form when I tried to “huck it”.  Foot heals pretty quick usually 

I had one of these this weekend! Neck is still sore haha. I launched myself into the flats akwardly and caught the edge as I landed. Both boots popped off. Closed toe Ronix Parks bindings.

I always tell new folks on our boat that you want them snug, but not too constrictive. Many many edges caught behind our boat! Luckily no injuries that advil couldn't fix!

I have never come out of the bindings.  I'm on my third pair of RXTs going back to 2017.  They burst from the baseplate and break all the stitching.  Broke these 2 weeks ago.

20190802_110750.thumb.jpg.65ba658ba69edfd76f3523bf4f401256.jpg

2 hours ago, onwi said:

I have never come out of the bindings.  I'm on my third pair of RXTs going back to 2017.  They burst from the baseplate and break all the stitching.  Broke these 2 weeks ago.

20190802_110750.thumb.jpg.65ba658ba69edfd76f3523bf4f401256.jpg

What’s the warranty on something like that?   The RXT is their top-of-the-line boot. 

2 minutes ago, HeavyCrew said:

What’s the warranty on something like that?   The RXT is their top-of-the-line boot. 

Ronix has been fantastic.  If I break them before they are a year old they replace.  I purchased them in Fremont at the Supra/Moomba dealer.  They had them in stock and so I drove up and exchanged.  I've received push back from Liquid Force for a handle but Ronix has always been easy to work with.

I use system bindings... my foot never comes out of boot.. but boot comes out of binding.... 

Catching a edge is always going to hurt regardless if you bindings release or not.. 

My foot has not come out.. but 2 weeks ago I did not rotate fully on a toe side back roll and landed with tip in water (no video to laugh at ;) ) and foot actually moved in this one and had a slight sprain.

In my previous bindings (not mentioning brand lol) caught front side edge in 180 and ripped my foot out.. hurt like a @#@#$%!... calf to foot was all one size lol... I really love my system bindings now as they release like a snow board and foot does not get contorted coming out (minus that one time that it slightly did..)

4 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

I use system bindings... my foot never comes out of boot.. but boot comes out of binding.... 

Catching a edge is always going to hurt regardless if you bindings release or not.. 

My foot has not come out.. but 2 weeks ago I did not rotate fully on a toe side back roll and landed with tip in water (no video to laugh at ;) ) and foot actually moved in this one and had a slight sprain.

In my previous bindings (not mentioning brand lol) caught front side edge in 180 and ripped my foot out.. hurt like a @#@#$%!... calf to foot was all one size lol... I really love my system bindings now as they release like a snow board and foot does not get contorted coming out (minus that one time that it slightly did..)

Confirming that your boots did release from the bindings? I just picked up my first system set and thats the only thing that worries me

10 hours ago, RandomForumGuy said:

Confirming that your boots did release from the bindings? I just picked up my first system set and thats the only thing that worries me

The systems release majority of the time.. have been real happy with them.