Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What's the best 12 Volt electric air pump for inflatables?

Josh7711

Thank you in advance for reading this.

I purchased a 10 person island inflatable party tube and other inflatables.  I'd like to air them up on the boat as easy as possible.  Does anyone have a good pump to recommend?

Thank you,

Josh

BTP Two Stage Electric Turbo Pump - Bought this to inflate my wife's SUP (stand up paddleboard).   Works fantastic to inflate everything I can throw at it.  A bit pricey at $104 and needs to be hooked directly to the battery.   Has its own storage bag to keep it neat. 

Comes with an assortment of attachments to fit many applications.  Deflates as well so can remove all the air out completely.  Making it easier to stow tubes, SUPs, rafts, etc....    

https://www.amazon.com/Stage-Electric-Turbo-Inflatable-Kayaks/dp/B00RC1SM8W/ref=sr_1_11?crid=3OGV81CZZINZM&keywords=sup+pump+electric&qid=1563839188&s=gateway&sprefix=sup+%2Caps%2C209&sr=8-11

image.png.15d05b6c70df9ded0fc5ecfda4c9e0ee.png

• Like 2

I paid $89 for this:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C5K7HFM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was worth it for 2x paddleboards, 1x 5x15' floating mat, and 1x 9' tender boat. The floating mat takes the longest, but I just tie off the mat, plug in the pump, set the PSI, and walk away.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, mikeo said:

I paid $89 for this:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C5K7HFM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was worth it for 2x paddleboards, 1x 5x15' floating mat, and 1x 9' tender boat. The floating mat takes the longest, but I just tie off the mat, plug in the pump, set the PSI, and walk away.

I have the same one.  You pre-set the desired PSI and walk away; it shuts off automatically...well worth the price.

We were anchored in a heavy swimming area this past weekend and heard what I thought was a gas blower fire up. I turned around to find a guy blowing up something like you are describing with a gas leaf blower. As a guy that is easily driven batty by 15 minutes of the awful siren song of those 12v blowers, I was thoroughly impressed by this guy's game. That thing was fully inflated in about 20 seconds. While I'm hoping I will never own one of these giant inflatable things, I would probably investigate a battery powered blower for this purpose if I was somehow talked into owning one. I have a DeWalt for blowing off decks and such. You will never use it for the yard, but the thing is awesome for quick jobs like blowing up "party" floats. 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, RyanB said:

I use the airhead 12volt. But their 120 volt is better. Much better. Can you do an inverter?

My parents use an inverter for theirs.  They have used it for years without issue.

• 8 months later...

I have two...
Similar to this one, I bought about 15yrs ago. works awesome. Simple, small High volume/Low Pressure to fill tubes and such. https://www.amazon.com/V1-Motor-Portable-Inflator-Deflator/dp/B0122A2XM8/ref=sr_1_238?dchild=1&keywords=air+pump&qid=1585832751&sr=8-238

And this one, as the backup. Again High Volume/low Pressure. https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Double-Quick-Hand-Pump/dp/B00G7H780K/ref=sr_1_12?crid=3UVJCG1QG64RW&dchild=1&keywords=air+pump+for+inflatables&qid=1585841192&sprefix=air+pump+%2Caps%2C192&sr=8-12

You don't need to spend a lot in this dept...I personally have always avoided the gimmicky devices and batteries here. What I have done though is switch up the Plug & Wire gauge on the Elec pump over the years. The original wiring was flimsy and the cigarette plug was weak, so I soldered 25Ft of 12gauge wire to a solid plug. This changed the game. Example of the plug I used https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Gauge-Quick-Disconnect-Harness/dp/B07R2L827M/ref=sr_1_67?dchild=1&keywords=12v%2Bplug&qid=1585841907&sr=8-67&th=1

I use the small Milwaukee 18v leaf blower on the big items. Haven't timed it but I'm guessing 3 to 5 minutes on the big blowup islands. And relatively quiet.

Edited by Ktmandy
typed wrong item
2 hours ago, Texan32 said:

anyone thought of using CO2? 

I guess it depends on the size of the tank, but if you're thinking of the smaller ones it will take A LOT of them.

15 hours ago, Texan32 said:

i keep a 10 lb (maybe 15 lb) cylinder in my truck.  Its a carryover from my Jeepin days.

Wouldn't that really freeze something like a paddleboard/mat?  I used to carry a Powertank as well, but the "air"  is really cold.

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Wouldn't that really freeze something like a paddleboard/mat?  I used to carry a Powertank as well, but the "air"  is really cold.

I'm also wondering about the thermal differences.  I dont know how quick the CO2 would warm up in the inflatable.  And, how much will the pressure go up form sitting in the sun (even though being on/in water will counteract that).  I have a cheaper 90psi regulator that i use on my bottle (vs the Powertank regulator you probably had).  It does frost up while airing up tires.  I wonder if i can even run the air long enough to fill an inflatable before the regulator completely freezes up.

I went with the Radar super powerful air pumps they sell.  I shouldn't have, because if I look at the fastest airflow capable, I could have spent 50% less on a few floating around on Amazon.

On 3/31/2020 at 10:33 PM, rosska said:

I too have this handheld pump and I'm very happy with it.  I have a large Sportstuff tube and it fills it much faster than the 12v Airhead pump I used previously.  The only downside to this is "battery discipline", if you forget to charge it before heading out your in trouble.  I keep the old 12v pump in the boat just in case!

FWIW, it's on sale right now too. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My Blufin SUP calls for 15 t0 18 PSI and takes about 10 to 15 minutes to fill with a pump that looks just like the one @mikeo mentioned above except it is orange. It will fill up to what you would think was good but that is only about 3 PSI then it switches to High pressure pumping to bring it up the rest. Wondering if some of these others can even obtain the 12+ PSI called for on these SUP?

Edited by dalt1