Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Optimal Wakesurf Speed?

Misirlou

What's your wakesurf speed, style (surf/skim), and trick list (carving, airs, 360s, etc)?

Do you vary your speed and/or wake shape depending on the style of board you're riding and what tricks you're trying to accomplish?  I'm trying to learn some tricks, so I've been playing around with different boards, fins, speeds, etc.  I'm not sure if I'm better off with a consistent speed or if I should I match the speed to the board/trick?

I ride anywhere from 10.8 to 11.7 mph.  Axis T-23, Phase 5 Model X, Soulcraft Da Honu, HC Pro, Ronix Longboard

I started at 10.5 now prefer 11, probably going to up it again seems more about creating the right wave/push rather than trick matching but I can't do much yet just sharing what I've read so maybe a better rider can share.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2019 at 10:25 AM, Raimie said:

Since we have a new post every day on how to properly ballast boats for surfing, I am hoping that new boat owners can start here and try the recommendations before starting new threads. If you can’t get a decent wave with these recommendations, please post your setup (list all ballast, crew size, boat year/make) and include pictures.

Surfgate equipped boats, or boats using similar wake shaping devices operating in at least a depth of 15’ of water, use these guidelines to achieve a great surf wave.

20-21’ (VTX, A20, 21VLX, 21MLX) – All hard tanks full, 400-550lbs in bow (total), 550 rear plug-n-play bags. Floating wedge deployed, PW position 3 or 4 (or 2- 3 clicks down from ramp). Speed 10.8-11.2.

22-23’ (22VLX, 22LSV, 23LSV, M235, T22, T23, A22) – All hard tanks full, 500-650lbs in bow, 550-850 rear plug-n-play bags. Floating wedge deployed, PW position 3 or 4 (or 2- 3 clicks down from ramp)., or wedge stowed . Speed 10.8-11.6mph.

24-25’ (24MXZ, 25LSV, A24) – All hard tanks full, 650-750lbs in bow, 825-1100 rear plug-n-play bags. Floating wedge deployed, PW position 3 or 4 (or 2- 3 clicks down from ramp)., or wedge stowed. Speed 11-11.6.

If your goofy side is great and your regular side (port) isn’t, try a slight list to the port side by shifting your crew and/or draining 20% of your rear ballast bags.

These recommendations are based on light crews to obtain the best setup. If you have a large crew, reduce some ballast to offset additional weight. Crew should be fairly evenly distributed from bow to stern. More weight in the bow = longer wave, more weight in the stern = taller wave.

If your gates are completely underwater, you have too much ballast.

If you don’t have plug-in-play, you will not have a very impressive wave. It is required unless you have a massive crew every outing.

If running in a river be sure to use the paddle wheel speed sensor.

Start at lowest speed and increase gradually to see the effect on your wave. Generally the wave will be a little longer/firmer with more speed.

Goofy wave is always better on Malibu/Axis boats due to prop rotation. Counter act this by learning to ride heelside or switch:biggrin:

Happy surfing!:werule:

See this thread 

Literally every boat is a little different. Just figure out what your slowest speed is where the wave face cleans up and go from there.