Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wet sounds Revo XXX 12 R4-B sub enclosure help

Showstopper

Ok I am looking at upgrading my sub to the Revo XXX 12. I have not found a lot of good info on this sub in a sealed box. Have looked at the specs and all it says is 1.2 cubic feet but this seems small to me. There is no range for a sealed box that I can find. I have a box design that I can gross 2.09 cubic feet. That being said I could really get away with a slot vented box tuned to 41HZ as they want. Options are endless with dual slot or precision vent as they have a diagram for. They have one box design tuned for around 36 HZ and another tuned for 41 HZ they claim. I ran some math and that box really comes out to about 38 HZ from the dimensions on the PDF. 

Anyway I wanted to stay sealed as I listen to more rock, pop and country and not a whole lot of rap so I like the sealed boxes a little better. 

With a sealed box do I stay with the recommended 1.2 cubic feet or is this just a minimum spec? If it’s just a minimum what should I shoot for? Being in a sealed enclosure was leading me to pair it with the SDX2500 amp to put a little more power to it than the SDX2 would. Does this sound doable or should I really work out a ported box and do the SDX2? 

Oh and another question, if I shoot for a Qts of .70 or .80, is this just the volume directly behind the sub? This can’t determine total volume of the box can it? 

The XXX prefer ported.  Can do sealed but I prefer the ported.  Ported done right like the dual slot is going to have the SQ you want as well as the output.  SDX-2 is perfect match for either.  Give Bobby a call at my office 877-938-7757 and he can get you in touch with some of our techs and some options for box design.  We just updated the web site and have been trying to get all the data like box designs up there but these sites take forever.

Tim

Wet Sounds

Showstopper,

You touched on a lot of issues. And it gets darn complex. Quote, ["Oh and another question, if I shoot for a Qts of .70 or .80, is this just the volume directly behind the sub? This can’t determine total volume of the box can it?"] 'Qts' is a parameter relating to a raw woofer in open air. The 'System Q', which is the 'Qtc', is related to the woofer and loaded sealed enclosure combination. A final Qtc of .7 might be optimum for a home audio subwoofer, but might sound a little dry and lifeless in an open boat. So most shoot for a higher Qtc of around .85 in a open-field-environment because it provides a musical response crest and a bit more output in the meat of the bass. And output is critical in an open-field-environment (boat) where low bass energy seems to flash evaporate. Every initial boundary adds about +3 dB of output. In a home you have two to three near boundaries surrounding the subwoofer. In a car you have six near boundaries. In an open boat you have a single boundary period. So you make little compensations for the environment.   

Ported enclosures are not just for Rap, Electronic Dance, or music with synthetic bass. A well-designed bass-reflex enclosure should be genre-neutral, not bloated, and not a one note wonder. Poorly designed ported enclosures are a different matter, and there are plenty of bad examples. You can use bass-reflex to increase output over a narrow band, or extend the response lower, or a little of both. In an open boat, a little of both is the sweet spot. I would trust Wetsounds and put this in their hands.   

• Like 2
  • 3 years later...
On 7/22/2019 at 12:34 AM, Showstopper said:

Ok I am looking at upgrading my sub to the Revo XXX 12. I have not found a lot of good info on this sub in a sealed box. Have looked at the specs and all it says is 1.2 cubic feet but this seems small to me. There is no range for a sealed box that I can find. I have a box design that I can gross 2.09 cubic feet. That being said I could really get away with a slot vented box tuned to 41HZ as they want. Options are endless with dual slot or precision vent as they have a diagram for. They have one box design tuned for around 36 HZ and another tuned for 41 HZ they claim. I ran some math and that box really comes out to about 38 HZ from the dimensions on the PDF. 

Anyway I wanted to stay sealed as I listen to more rock, pop and country and not a whole lot of rap so I like the sealed boxes a little better. 

With a sealed box do I stay with the recommended 1.2 cubic feet or is this just a minimum spec? If it’s just a minimum what should I shoot for? Being in a sealed enclosure was leading me to pair it with the SDX2500 amp to put a little more power to it than the SDX2 would. Does this sound doable or should I really work out a ported box and do the SDX2? 

Question, just wondering what you ended up doing on this and if you have any pics? I’m considering upgrading my sub to the 12 xxx in my M220 and wondering if I can get it under the dash in a ported box?