Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Who Has the Right of Way?

Misirlou

I've always assumed a boat pulling a rider has the right of way (except maybe over sailboats, boats that are anchored, and commercial vessels constrained by draft).  I just reviewed our local laws, and now I'm not so sure.  There is a 100 foot rule, but a boat going fast can travel 100 feet before it can change direction.  Any thoughts on this?

Ehhh unfortunately I have to share the lake with other people, so sometimes we run into this situation.  I try my best to give people towing the right of way... and there have been times that I have had to stop while towing tubers, which almost always results in my tubers leaning too far forward and pulling the submarine maneuver.  

I read through the Boating Guide for Minnesota and other than the rules you mentioned, the only thing I found was on page 59 under the section "Propeller Injuries" that says "Stay away from other boats towing skiers or tubers."  

I stayed outside of the 100 foot rule of a stationary Malibu boat boat, but then he thought he needed to come within 25-50 feet of our boat while we were just hanging out. Some people just have to be the boss.

I had an interesting, and dangerous, experience last weekend.  I was cruising slowly (@ 10 mph) in my pontoon boat going straight and had not changed course in over 5 minutes when I was passed on the left by a boat with a surfer that was on the right wake of the boat, going about 12 mph, so the pass was slow, and I veered to the right.  He was so close!  I had no idea he was there.  Probably no more than 15 feet from my boat for the surfer and 20 feet for the boat.  Needless to say it rocked my boat a bit and the driver really put his surfer at risk.  It was a crowded day and the area is a confluence of 3 sections of the lake and I think he was trying to squeeze between me and another boat coming the opposite direction.  No excuse.

It was not the time or place to be surfing.  If he had sounded his horn I would have tried to get out of his way, but no warning.  No reaction from the driver and the observer in the boat just looked at me in a clueless way.  What he did was definitely against Wisconsin regulations and dangerous.

You really should have to pass a test and have a license to drive a boat.

Edited by minnmarker
addition

My lake has specific rules but I can't for the life of me find them on their website. I think its you can't be within 100 feet of a rider/vessel. That being said, if someone cuts you off they may be an AHole, but i'd say its still your responsibility to avoid hitting them or a rider, even if it means slowing down. I believe it's nice to give those towing the right away. Tubing boats sometimes really challenge me though...

Specific to the overtaking issue, I found this:

Rule 13 - Overtaking 

(a) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Rules 4-18, any vessel overtaking any other shall keep out of the way of the vessel being overtaken.

22 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

obviously you had the right of way unless the surf boat was sporting a bow DJ.

I think the "bow DJ" is going to become the bucrew equivalent of the "trunk monkey."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just searched and found this. It is also what I have always thought to be true. If you follow the book horns would be honking continuously.

What side should you pass a boat on?

A boat must always be navigated on the starboard side (right) of a river or channel. Each boat alters course to starboard (right) and passes port to port (left). Always assume this situation exists. A boat approaching from your starboard (right) side has right of way.Aug 24, 2017

Which boat has the right of way?

Starboard: If any vessel approaches your boat from the starboard sector, you must keep out of its way. You are the give-way craft. Stern: If any vessel approaches your boat from the stern (from behind your boat) you should maintain your speed and course with caution. You are the stand-on craft.Feb 4, 2019

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2019 at 2:34 PM, MadMan said:

I don't know the answer to your question, but I would never pull a rider through a "right of way" type situation.

I was going to type something exactly like this, 

On 7/18/2019 at 2:50 PM, tvano said:

after spending 5 minutes at any boat ramp i think it's a safe assumption that 9 of 10 don't know anything about boating much less the legalities involved.

because of this.

We spend time primarily on a local, often crowded state park lake (OH), or on Norris Lake (TN) where "renters" can be spotted miles away. Rules / laws / common sense are completely wasted on 80% of the people I see on the water. For me, it's more about not getting my rider killed. When it's too crowded, we don't tow anyone, ever.

• Like 2
On 7/18/2019 at 4:17 PM, UWSkier said:

I think the "bow DJ" is going to become the bucrew equivalent of the "trunk monkey."

Someone needs to photoshop Boots as a Bow DJ

In Wisconsin having someone towed behind the boat does not give legal right of way over another powered vessel.  That was direct from a very aggressive officer.  Always yield to non-powered and then yield to starboard traffic.  Like many above, I do yield to people towing when I am not but I certainly don't expect or believe that others on the lake will yield to me or follow any laws.

More on the aggressive officer and the discussion of passing from behind. We were out on a busy lake and had an officer that cross our path, at high speed, from our starboard side, but I would estimate from 120 degrees from the direction of our boats path, or about the driver's 4 o'clock.  I was sitting in the rear of the boat and was the first to see the officer.  I informed the driver and both we and the officer then veered off our path.  A collision wasn't imminent, but it was time to change course.  In our opinion, he was coming from behind and needed to pass based on that.  He said he was on our starboard and we needed to yield.  We were towing and he made it clear he didn't care if we had to dump our rider or not.  And being he was the LEO, he wins the argument.  The interaction certainly left us feeling uncomfortable as he was quick to yell.  

Obviously, driving 90 degrees from one another and coming together at the exact same point, you yield to starboard (in Wisconsin at least).  My questions is, if I am traveling and another boat from my starboard will pass my path behind me, how much time or distance do I need to clear the confluence point before I should have simply yielded.  Is this like a 4-way stop sign in a car and if I get there first I have the right of way?  Or because I'm responsible for my wake do I need to give the other boat 100' or something?  Purely theoretical as I'm not putting my boat/passengers at risk.  But it would be good to know the legality.  I'm not considering a rider in this scenario as their safety with regards to a potential fall changes everything.  

@Nacibound

That's a good link and describes exactly what our issue was.  There is a diagram at the top of the link (attached below) that indicates the exact line at which a crossing becomes overtaking.  Essentially, we argued he was coming from an angle greater than 122.5 degrees from our path and he disagreed.  

ruleOfTheRoad1.jpg.46494f82ae307aec1364f64c12d7ce58.jpg

@onwi

Yup, that's when you nod and thank them for correcting what you remember from the laws, admit you must be wrong, and thank them again for pointing it out for you so you can keep safe... 

Some rangers are super cool, and then there's the others...:dontknow:

15 hours ago, Nacibound said:

Some rangers are super cool, and then there's the others...

Since it's appropriate to you new ranger buddy, anyone that doesn't yield to a person being towed, or anyone that tries to tow someone in rush-hour like water traffic - Probably not a problem to just extrapolate this to "Some people are super cool..."

Edited by BigCreek
On 8/3/2019 at 7:36 AM, rsutton1223 said:
  • Tubing boats drive like a drunk teenage girl. There is no right of way and you better watch out or she'll fall in your lap and you'll get yelled at by her drunk boyfriend. And tubing is apparently only allowed in high traffic areas.
  • Pontoons can't turn. There is only straight.
  • Cruisers can't plane and think just because they are larger...they have the right of way at all times.
  • If you are on a Jet Ski...the only rule is fun. The rules apply to boats and you are not a boat. You are fun.

You must live on my lake!

one more: 

- if it’s 6am and there’s ski boats going straight while towing a skier you are obligated to drive in an “S” formation or along the shoreline to create some good wakes for them to cross.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, braindamage said:

You must live on my lake!

one more: 

- if it’s 6am and there’s ski boats going straight while towing a skier you are obligated to drive in an “S” formation or along the shoreline to create some good wakes for them to cross.

It really is uncanny how many times I have been zipping up my barefoot suit, looking out over the glassy glass, only to see several fishing boats and jetskis heading my way, either in their "S" formations or at maximum wake speed.  Seriously, this happens *all* the time, no matter what time of day.

And if you happen to already be skiing or footing, they have to stop directly in your path (after slowing to maximum wake speed for 100 yards).

• Like 3

The rules make sense if you think about it from the view point of the driver.  If the other boats driver can't see you very well, then that boat has the right of way because it's harder for them to see/avoid you.

So if a boat is coming perpendicular to you from the starboard side, you can see that boat really well since you sit on the starboard side, but the other driver can't see you because you are on the opposite side from where he sits.  So they have the right of way.

If you approach a boat from the rear, that driver can't see you as well as you can see him, so he's got the right of way.

If you are meeting a boat head on, then you both need to move to the left so the two drivers can easily see each other as you pass by (just like cars in Europe).

On a side note, the green/red lights on the front of the boat also enforce  this rule.  If you are approaching a boat from the side (perpendicular to it's path) and see his red light, then you have to stop.   If you see his green light, then you have the right of way.

But not many people know the rules, so just do what you can to avoid a wreck.

On 8/3/2019 at 7:36 AM, rsutton1223 said:

On our lake it seems to be the following...

1. Tubing boats drive like a drunk teenage girl. There is no right of way and you better watch out or she'll fall in your lap and you'll get yelled at by her drunk boyfriend. And tubing is apparently only allowed in high traffic areas.
  2. Pontoons can't turn. There is only straight.
  3. Cruisers can't plane and think just because they are larger...they have the right of way at all times.
  4. If you are on a Jet Ski...the only rule is fun. The rules apply to boats and you are not a boat. You are fun.

I just keep my head on a swivel and slow down when necessary. I'd rather be safe than right. I had a guy drive behind us last week insanely close while my 7 year old was surfing. He then flipped me off when I yelled at him. People are dumb.

I have never seen a more true synopsis in my life.   I've been on boats all of my life and it's like people get dumber.   I have dropped riders, totally stopped and hammered it to avoid others.   I don't think you can be right with some of these guys, so "keeping your head on a swivel" is your only defense.   My dad told me years ago, you can never ever stop thinking when driving a boat.  Always think 5 steps ahead.   No truer words and not many get that these days.

I am probably going to ruffle some feathers here, but I have thought for years that the "me first" mindset of our society has transitioned to what used to be a fun enjoyable past time.  I watch jet skiers and tubers almost collide competing for the right to sky into the air 25' behind the surf boat which has just gone by only to realize that they may come to close to the fallen rider who's driver is powerturning to come back to get him. 

Growing up on a lake was and still is alot of fun, but everyone seemed to respect one another in the past, that thought is gone.  Noone cares what others are doing and this filters into their driving.   I feel like it's party ignorance and partly I don't give a sh!t.  

Years ago, not every Tom d*** and Harry had a boat.  EVERYONE CAN GET A BOAT now, assuming they can afford a payment.   Now it seems boats are no more than a status symbol.   I can't tell you how many $125K+ boats I see on a weekly basis at our lake that the driver has no idea what they are doing.  I constantly sit on our dock and watch these guys pull tubers, boarders and surfers all the while dunking the bows of their boats with regularity all while not knowing who the hell has the right of way.

Edited by NCVride
  • Like 4

Many think that while towing they are a "limited mobility vessel" and have the right of way. That isn't true, your mobility and control are not limited just because you are pulling a straight line. Now, should others give you a little more leeway in regards to your mission? I would think common nautical courtesy would prevail and they would. HOWEVER, there is very little courtesy given on the water these days, another reason we hung it up for a little bit. Anyway, you have to give right of way where it is due, and this is especially true in a towing situation, you never want to put your rider in harm's way. I know we've shut down sets until certain craft leave the area due to their blatant disregard for the safety of my riders and guests. 

Anyway, unless you are undersail or have a 100T license in your pocket, then you are most likely required to give way when due. But as my old CG cert teacher said, "When it comes to right of way, you can be right, but you don't want to be dead right." 

On 8/4/2019 at 12:11 PM, justgary said:

It really is uncanny how many times I have been zipping up my barefoot suit, looking out over the glassy glass, only to see several fishing boats and jetskis heading my way, either in their "S" formations or at maximum wake speed.  Seriously, this happens *all* the time, no matter what time of day.

And if you happen to already be skiing or footing, they have to stop directly in your path (after slowing to maximum wake speed for 100 yards).

Dammer!  Are we on the same lake.