Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 Sunscape - How to safely make the best wake for surfing

Captcrunch

Hey everyone, sorry if there is a thread on this already but my search did not turn anything up...

I own a 2002 Sunscape 23 LSV with the base Monsoon 325. No MLS, no wedge unfortunately and wedges seem hard to find for this year without buying it new from Bakes.

I have factory center / forward ballast which may be 700 gallons (?) and that's about it. Anyone with experience wake making on this boat? Before I consider going with a new boat I want to see if I can make a decent wake without creating unsafe listing or over-ballast situation.

My plan: 2 750 gallon fat sacks + wake shaper. Not sure if this will make a wake that will work for me (6' 200lbs).

Is it worth buying a new wedge for over 1k? 

How much ballast is too much for this boat? Dry weight is only 3500lb..

Thanks in advance for the constructive replies!

Thanks, that is my plan. Just not sure on the sack size.. I think all suck gates seem to operate the same so I'll just get the one my dealer stocks.

Your post talks about gallons but you mean pounds.  700 gallons is 5,600 lbs.  :shocked:

My boat has approximately the same length and dry weight as you but I'm not sure how similar or different the hulls are.  I run between 2500-3000 lbs of ballast with a nauticurl device to get a nice surfable wave.  I am quite a bit bigger than you so you may get away with less ballast.  I typically run 1100 surf side rear, 600 non-surf side rear, 500 mid and 650 front.  That works out to 60% rear, 40% mid-front with 500 lbs extra on the surf side for a little list.  Sometimes I end up draining some of the rear surf-side bag if the platform is cutting into the wave.  Depends on crew size.

ETA - my boat does not have a wedge either.  I thought about adding one (quoted around $1,600 with install) but lots of people prefer extra weight vs. wedge due to the impact the wedge has on the wave.

Edited by AzAxisA22

I'm in the same situation with my 02 Wakesetter LXI.  Thinking about a shaper, 325lbs under rear stock seat, 400lbs on each side of engine, wedge down, and 375 in ski locker. Don't know if it will be surfable though.  Trying to make it so people can move around as easy as possible. 

I have an 06 23LSV Sunscape with no factory ballast.  I've added 900s in both rear lockers, bow bag, and a midship bag.  I have the power wedge, but honestly it doesn't impact the wake shape or size much.  

I got the bags/pumps/switches kit from Wakemakers.  I'm probably $2500 into the ballast system, with me doing all of the labor.  The kits are nice because the wires are pre-made and easy to install.

My next upgrade will be a GSA, but that will need to wait until this winter.

If you are otherwise happy with the boat you have, with some investment you should be able to get a great wave.  Not as dialed in as a new boat, but it won't cost you $75k+ to get there.

4 hours ago, robmac said:

Don't know if it will be surfable though.

My 165 lb son surfed ropeless until he got tires behind my Response LX.  Couple hundred in the open bow and two  300 lb or so in the back plus me on the corner.  Was quite enjoyable he said even if a small pocket.  So anyone with a 21-23 vdrive should have no probs at all getting a surfable wake with some sacks etc.

5 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

My 165 lb son surfed ropeless until he got tires behind my Response LX.  Couple hundred in the open bow and two  300 lb or so in the back plus me on the corner.  Was quite enjoyable he said even if a small pocket.  So anyone with a 21-23 vdrive should have no probs at all getting a surfable wake with some sacks etc.

Thanks for the info!

My Boat is an 01 LSV, which is the same as what you have. We have some lead in the front, MLS Sac full, and both back lockers filled. We put out wedge down, it is possible with no wedge. IMO we are not able to get a surfing wave without the suction cup gate on the side of the boat. Also found that the placement of the suction gate seems to make a lot of difference. 

Awesome thanks! I picked up 2 X 750 fat sacks today with a mission wake shaper. I will give that a try with the factory ballast forward. I will report back before and after vids.

I haven't been on that particular hull, but my assumption is everything will be bigger than my hull.  IMO, the 750's are too small; 1100's would be a better choice.  Add in an under seat bow bag, suck gate of choice, 500lbs of lead (to move around to see where it needs to go) and you should be set as a baseline.  Could always do a walkway bag if needed or bags under the port/starboard seats if more wave is required.  

https://youtu.be/guF40ycaqLg

Here is a short clip of the 2002 sunscape 23LSV with 1200 - 1500lbs in the rear lockers and the factory ballast 1/2 full. I used a mission wake shaper as well.

2 adults and 2 children on board, nearly full tank of gas. Prop is a 1939 Acme since I am at 7000 ft elevation.  Love feedback on wake size and shape from the experts.

I'm pretty novice so don't judge the rider!

• 11 months later...

Bringing this back to life.  What did you do for a 23LSV to get the perfect wave.  Mine is a 2002 Sunscape 23 LSV and I did a few upgrades last year.  One was the perfect pass with GPS(well worth the money for upgrade) and second was the prop.  I got the 1235 prop and it does much better now.  Sumo 850s in each locker and Sumo 650 in Bow using Swell 1.0 suck gate.  11.2 seems to be the good speed.  I fill both bags even in lockers and do not list.  Any ideas on a better setup?  We get a good wave but I want better.  Also should the wedge be up or down?  Thanks!

On 6/24/2020 at 6:58 PM, JLT3 said:

Bringing this back to life.  What did you do for a 23LSV to get the perfect wave.  Mine is a 2002 Sunscape 23 LSV and I did a few upgrades last year.  One was the perfect pass with GPS(well worth the money for upgrade) and second was the prop.  I got the 1235 prop and it does much better now.  Sumo 850s in each locker and Sumo 650 in Bow using Swell 1.0 suck gate.  11.2 seems to be the good speed.  I fill both bags even in lockers and do not list.  Any ideas on a better setup?  We get a good wave but I want better.  Also should the wedge be up or down?  Thanks!

Male sure your deck isn't shaving the top of your wave. I notice a big difference when I took mine off and had planned to raise it before I ended up selling 

On 6/24/2020 at 6:58 PM, JLT3 said:

Contact @martinarcher

and put on some surf gates

Will do but what is preferred position for wedge when surfing on these older boats that only have up or down?  

I really do not want to take off the deck either.  Have others raised it?